L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"

rcaido

Reaction score
Donn2390":2gfuztnw said:
Reading a lot of these post makes me wonder if there are any Seahawk fans in Seattle. Sure doesn't sound like it...

I agree, pretty disgusting if you ask me. You would think fans would be excited to have two, 1st round picks playing this season. Guy seems motivated and seems to care.

Rat

Reaction score
rcaido":2tidt6z5 said:
Donn2390":2tidt6z5 said:
Reading a lot of these post makes me wonder if there are any Seahawk fans in Seattle. Sure doesn't sound like it...

I agree, pretty disgusting if you ask me. You would think fans would be excited to have two, 1st round picks playing this season. Guy seems motivated and seems to care.
Having Luke Joeckel and Germain Ifedi on the same OL didn’t make it any more exciting.

I believe we have five playing this season: Collier, Brooks, Warmack, Penny, and Olsen. That has to be the most underwhelming group of former first-rounders in the league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Rat":1br252of said:
I believe we have five playing this season: Collier, Brooks, Warmack, Penny, and Olsen. That has to be the most underwhelming group of former first-rounders in the league.

I'm calling "Premature E-Speculation" on lumping Jordyn Brooks into this group.
He's supposed to be the second coming of Bobby Wagner. Who was a 2nd round pick IIRC.

Let's at least give Brooks a chance to suck, or not, before declaring that he does.

Penny played like a 1st rounder a couple games last year. Was it vs. Philly where he had the 40-ish yard TD run as part of an overall excellent game? But yeah, more consistency would be nice. Now, after ACL, who knows what we'll get?

Greg Olsen... underwhelming? He's torched us before, playing for Carolina. Let's give him a chance in a Seahawk Uni.

jmahon316

Reaction score
olyfan63":1rgcx7vh said:
Rat":1rgcx7vh said:

He's supposed to be the second coming of Bobby Wagner. Who was a 2nd round pick IIRC.

Let's at least give Brooks a chance to suck, or not, before declaring that he does.

Penny played like a 1st rounder a couple games last year. Was it vs. Philly where he had the 40-ish yard TD run as part of an overall excellent game? But yeah, more consistency would be nice. Now, after ACL, who knows what we'll get?

Greg Olsen... underwhelming? He's torched us before, playing for Carolina. Let's give him a chance in a Seahawk Uni.

I agree 100%

Rat

Reaction score
olyfan63":3dibkvm0 said:
Rat":3dibkvm0 said:

No, it's not "premature" to list Brooks among our first round picks, given that he was, you know, a first round pick. I don't think anything he does going forward is going to turn him into a second rounder. I never said he sucked.

Back to what I ACTUALLY said, it is a very underwhelming group of first rounders. Say what you want about Brooks (lol at "the second coming of Bobby Wagner", who said that?), but the rest of our rostered first rounders are: Collier, who had as discouraging a rookie season as someone can have, Warmack, an enormous bust who didn't even have a job last year, Penny, who has provided nothing resembling first-round value, and will likely miss at least half of next season coming off a serious knee injury, and Olsen, an addition I liked a lot, but this isn't prime Greg Olsen; he's 35 and has not made it through a season healthy in years. Over the last three seasons COMBINED, he has less than 100 receptions, just over 1000 yards, and 7 TDs.

If our first rounders were listed with every NFL team's first rounders, I'd be shocked if they weren't bottom five. I'm not going to do the whole league right now, but it's easily the worst group in the division:

Niners: Nick Bosa, Brandon Aiyuk, Jevon Kinlaw, Mike McGlinchey, Trent Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Arik Armstead, Dee Ford, Solomon Thomas, Jason Verrett, Jimmie Ward

Rams: Jared Goff, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Jalen Ramsey

Cards: Kyler Murray, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, DJ Humphries, Chandler Jones, Isaiah Simmons, Patrick Peterson

Yeah, our group of first rounders isn't underwhelming :roll:

Jville

Reaction score
jmahon316":3nnipc7s said:
olyfan63":3nnipc7s said:
Rat":3nnipc7s said:

I agree 100%

Yea, muddled arguments can be driven to what ever assertion its author desires. However, Pete and John are who their record says they are. And that is what matters. As their now healthy and motivated LJ Collier choice accumulates more snaps, he'll help upgrade that yet to be assembled 2020 defensive line rotation.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Rat":3512jujj said:
olyfan63":3512jujj said:
Rat":3512jujj said:
Back to what I ACTUALLY said, it is a very underwhelming group of first rounders. Say what you want about Brooks (lol at "the second coming of Bobby Wagner", who said that?)

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... bby-wagner

The current Texas Tech HC, who was on the coaching staff of Utah State when Bobby Wagner played in college.

Also Jim Nagy, executive director of the Senior Bowl who watched Brooks play said he (Brooks) reminded him of BWagz.

hawk45

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3geq7qzt said:
hawk45":3geq7qzt said:
Maelstrom787":3geq7qzt said:
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.
Because a responsible person would acknowledge that they contributed zero in their first year and so it’s quite appropriate and not at all disrespectful, that fans, other players, the world, treat him as a non contributor until he manages to make the active squad?

It’s one thing for Doug Baldwin or Sherman to whine about disrespect; they have a leg to stand in. It’s another thing for this waste of a roster spot (in year one) to whine about it. Do something on the field, hell, see the field at all, then we can talk about disrespect. The guy’s beneath disrespecting at this point; he’s beneath any notice whatsoever.

That's a really, really serious post for a reaction to a football player stating that he's looking forward to disproving notions regarding his level of talent. You, and others, should be rooting for that to happen - yet instead, you take the opportunity to.. get mad?

Just strikes me as ridiculous.

Oh, I'm not mad, and it doesn't make him a bad human being. This is par for the course for what I expect out of 20 year old kids who play a game for a living. It's not a mortal sin, just a touch of immaturity. All he would have had to do to elicit a positive fan response instead was say that it burns him he couldn't get on the field last year and is determined to do better. Instead, bringing disrespect into the mix implies some external factors were involved in his non-performance. This is known as an "excuse".

It's actually your reaction to what he said that prompted me to respond because it's so knee-jerk defensive. What LJ waste-of-a-roster-spot says in the offseason doesn't move the needle for me.

I just chuckle at how you're baffled at the fan reaction from a player who couldn't make the field crying about disrespect. I think actually I should agree it's disrespect, and that my argument with him isn't that he used that word, but more than he thinks that disrespect for his game is somehow inappropriate based on his lack of performance.

If anyone respected LJ's game, then the concept of respect is pretty much meaningless.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
In any case I don't think it is fair to set the bar to high for a rookie (even though I was guilty of exactly that in the case of DK). Expecting Brooks to come in and be Wagner ll just isn't going to happen even if he is really good.
Trouble is our non-rookie acquisitions might seem to have painted us into the corner of NEEDING our rookies to come in and immediately play at a very high level. So I'm more inclined to point fingers at our staff than the rookies. That's not easy for me to do as I think very highly of our FO staff. But the moves made this year have left me scratching my head in wonder. I'm never ready to declare a disaster so long as there's time on the clock, but seems very fair to me to say we look to be in a questionable position.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think too many people mistake fair treatment for respect. Fair treatment is deserved by everyone. Respect, however, can only be earned by deeds and actions.

Maybe Collier wasn't treated fairly by some folks given he was injured through training camp. However he was never "disrespected" because he has done nothing as a professional football player to deserve respect in the first place.

Elemas

Reaction score
Praise and criticism are not mutually exclusive. Take Penny for instance. I was hyped up when he was drafted and then, very quickly, I started to have doubts. Why? His performance or rather, lack thereof. Being a Hawks fan, I was happy as hell to see him shining prior to the injury.

That doesn't make you a fair weather fan. You have to earn the praise AND accept the criticism when it's due.

If you're one of those people that find excuses and then "rubs" it in the face of other's IF the player turns it around, you likely buy your kids participation trophies when they don't hit the goal.

LJ had a terrible rookie year. If he wants to call it disrespect to motivate himself, great. I don't blame him for calling it as such but the simple fact of the matter is, based on performance, he's looking like a waste of a first round pick.

I would love it if he proves everyone wrong. If that happens and it doesn't make you happier than a hobo with a sandwich, you may be a Niners or Rams fan.

Good luck LJ....would love to see it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He's a high-rounder and how many sacks did he even have last year? Maybe 2? And no he wasn't hurt for most of the season. Was he even put on ST?

He looked totally absent and as he was being paid, there was every incentive to play him if he was even close to ready.

I think what happened is that the Hawks wanted Montez Sweat and when he went of the board they had to pick an alternative fast. One they thought would start in Y1, esp as he was old as a rookie.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He had zero sacks, played limited minutes and was frequently not active on game day. He had 3 tackles all year in 155 defensive plays.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
springscohawk":146q6hwb said:
I am okay with L.J.'s statements. My translation, "I am motivated to show this year that I am a good football player and plan on being a big contributor this year. "

He does not think he should be forgotten about for 2020 as a big contributor for DE.

His statements would have come across better if he would have acknowledged he didn't have a good year last year, didn't contribute much, and needs to improve.

As a man, I have a fragile ego and get upset sometimes when I feel my competence, performance, or value is being attacked or questioned. Maybe deservedly so, sometimes. I wouldn't say, " I believe and feel I am not loved or cared about, I feel rejected." Rather, "I feel disrespected, discounted"

All I care about is that L.J. is motivated and performs with more fire this year 2020. Sherman and Baldwin used disrespect card to fuel their drive. As a first rounder, Collier cannot say Seahawks organization disrespected him but he may think he is being forgotten about, discounted, disrespected by media and fans.
You're right. What happened to Collier is the opposite of disrespect. He disprespected the team by playing like crap.