Lacy Article

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Some of the things said to michael bennet are eleventythousand times worse than fat jokes. He usually just retweets them.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2b6xhhbg said:
Some of the things said to michael bennet are eleventythousand times worse than fat jokes. He usually just retweets them.

I don't disagree with that nor do I find those tweets acceptable in any way shape or form

However Bennet is electing to take a stand on something that he know is controversial (you can certainly argue how controversial it should be, BUT LETS NOT OR THIS GETS SHUTDOWN).

The point being - Lacy has not done any of that. He plays football and shuts up. People took tweets / Instagram from when he was in college and keeps sending him references to that. They keep seeking him out.

I also fully agree with Lacy that he signed a deal and should have some expectation of privacy.

BamKam

Reaction score
I don't agree with people maliciously attacking him on social media over his weight but it's really hard for me to feel for a professional athlete who can't keep his weight under control. A couple of the quotes didn't help like how he wishes he had a high metabolism so he could eat a ton and not get fat. Or about how after he had his ankle injury last year what else was he suppose to do besides "lay down and eat". Maybe hire a nutritionist? Or at least know you won't be doing much physical activity so cut back on the calories/junk? That's just being lazy. All this article will do is make the trolling worse.

hawk45

Reaction score
Boy I had a very different reaction to the article than some. I came away with the feeling that the writer was emotionally manipulative in order to create a compelling story, and that Lacy has a tough time staying away from self-pity.

As to the writer, it felt like the Katrina background was there to set up sympathy and slyly intimate that perhaps that childhood tragedy was a root cause. Otherwise why feature it so heavily and then transition right away to his weight problems?

In his childhood it was southern cooking and poverty that caused weight gain. In Green Bay it was his ankle injury. Then, that darned metabolism makes an appearance on the excuse list. I know people with thyroid issues and type II diabetes who lack lean muscle mass and so have to drastically limit caloric intake to gain any ground. Lacy is carrying around a lot of muscle. That muscle requires calories to maintain; that is simple physics. He may not have the fastest metabolism in the world, but he is far from someone with hormonal/medical issues outside their control making it hard.

The entire article seemed an attempt to paint something - weight gain - which is largely in Lacy's control, as something outside of his control. No sale for this reader.

Even his complaint about Jerome Bettis was self-pitying. Someone not throwing a pity party would say "you know, I get why Bettis didn't get flack and it's the same reason Cortez Kennedy didn't get flack: they didn't follow up big promise with big disappointment on the field. Fans get the knives out when you disappoint, and esp for weight concerns." See Carpenter,Chris.

Instead Lacy comes off as bewildered and the reader is left with the impression that it's just the world has gotten much crueler.

To be honest I think the writer did Lacy a disservice. If Lacy chuckles and says man, I wish I were like those dudes that can eat anything and lose weight, I'd chuckle with him and say boy don't we all. But coming across as if Lacy is making sad face as he unlimbers excuse after excuse just irritates me. I feel sympathy for a young Lacy going through a difficult time. I feel no sympathy for a grown, millionaire Lacy with the ability to turn off twitter who doesn't do so and then mopes about it.

Came into the article being concerned about Lacy's ability to maintain weight. Left the article with the same concern, but added to it the concern that the guy throws a pity part when adversity of his own making occurs.

Not a very Seahawky mentality IMO.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
i'm a strong supporter of making fun of people for getting fat.

Being fat-shamed myself has been one of my most effective weight-management tools. I would recommend hanging out with a bunch of guys that will rip you to shreds constantly if you put on more than 10 pounds.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I took the article as more an acknowledgement of his struggles than a cry for sympathy. Seemed pretty honest.

Seymour

Reaction score
StoneCold":2gvk9a0i said:
I took the article as more an acknowledgement of his struggles than a cry for sympathy. Seemed pretty honest.

Gregg Bell said today he asked Lacy what he hoped to accomplish coming out with this interview. Lacy said he wanted the truth about his struggles out there so he did not have to keep hearing about it.

Since his main issue is social media, I don't see that working since there are those bent of being dicks no matter what you ask. It may even get worse from those type of people.

Seems a bit of an ill conceived plan to me.

quadsas

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2g7rx1g1 said:
Putting people down for their weight problem is a good thing? Um......ok :roll:

Totally fine. Ir you cant poke fun at your friend being fat then youre a terrible human being.

ivotuk

Reaction score
quadsas":q20ocn4v said:
SoulfishHawk":q20ocn4v said:

Totally fine. Ir you cant poke fun at your friend being fat then youre a terrible human being.

It all depends on the setting. My friends joke about be me being short. I could care less. I'm short, so what.

Obesity is a huge problem in this country though, and because it's so prevalent, it seems to have become acceptable. I see kids, a lot of them, that are overweight, and it's going to cause them health problems in their 40s.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think the right approach to obesity is to be constructively harder on yourself than others ever will be. Recognizing you have an issue and seeking to rectify it should be the goal here.

I struggle with weight. I have terrible genetics. I have to work at it constantly or I can balloon to 225 easily. The problem is, every constructive change I make is countered by my declining metabolism with age. So I have radically reduced sweets, sugared sodas, junk food, processed foods, etc over the years but still struggle as I need less calories year by year.

But the fact is I still work at fighting it. The easy pathway is to admit the problem and then give up and go looking for sympathy. The hard pathway is to take the problem on and try to make it better. While Lacy has seemingly recognized the issue (half the battle), he hasn't successfully taken steps to improve it. If I had his money, I'd hire a cook and grocery shopper and use the Seahawks nutritionists to design my meal plans. It doesn't get easier than that when you have resources.

daketah

Reaction score
Some of the sentiments on this board regarding Lacy sound alarmingly similar to those who blame rape victims. There is no excuse for being a mean-spirited human being.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And like I said, many of the people making the fat jokes are probably 4 bills themselves. Weight issues are not funny in the least.

I'm a terrible human then, I don't make fat jokes to my overweight friends. Nor did they do it to me when I was a fat guy. If putting others in your thing, go for it. BOTH of my parents had strokes, largely due to weight issues. It's the reason I dropped 70+ and have kept it off the last 4 years.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Criticize his play all you want. Criticize the decision to bring him in at all. But personal attacks on players for what ever reason is total bush league and reeks of immaturity and a bullying personality. I guess it is easy to do behind an avatar and user id. Many think a player like lacy is lucky; he made it to the NFL and made a bunch of money. Sounds to me like he had some tough years, a lot worse than any year I have had to endure. Don't think I'd trade lives with him.

quadsas

Reaction score
ivotuk":3dn8k9m4 said:
quadsas":3dn8k9m4 said:
SoulfishHawk":3dn8k9m4 said:

It all depends on the setting. My friends joke about be me being short. I could care less. I'm short, so what.

Obesity is a huge problem in this country though, and because it's so prevalent, it seems to have become acceptable. I see kids, a lot of them, that are overweight, and it's going to cause them health problems in their 40s.

Thata why in my eyes its totally fine to fat shame at reasonable level. Obviously its tough to do so in SJW heaven also known as Seattle but its necessary

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
daketah":d00qw2cp said:
Some of the sentiments on this board regarding Lacy sound alarmingly similar to those who blame rape victims. There is no excuse for being a mean-spirited human being.

Uh.....you're in control of your own weight.

Rape victims are not in control, hence it being rape.

Incredibly stupid post.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Can I call him Portly? Husky? Big-Boned? Stout?

After reading that article earlier my first impression was that he won't ever have another significant season in the NFL. For his sake, I hope he gets his mind right and proves me wrong.

ellen-degeneres-58d0f68e2fe98244dc899eb9-g.gif

StoneCold

Reaction score
quadsas":3jrlvnbh said:
ivotuk":3jrlvnbh said:
quadsas":3jrlvnbh said:
SoulfishHawk":3jrlvnbh said:

Thata why in my eyes its totally fine to fat shame at reasonable level. Obviously its tough to do so in SJW heaven also known as Seattle but its necessary

Can't think of any middle road to take here, something kinder, but honest and firm. Hmm, maybe we should make them wear a red W on their clothes? Make them take a different bus or pay more for cars and stuff?