Lane Failed Physical, More Draft Picks for Duane Brown now!

Anthony!

Reaction score
irocdave":37mf7ngp said:
Hawks gave up a lot to get some relief on the O line, and the results of the trade can only be told by how long DB plays at a high level. The only bitch I have about the deal is why couldn't it have been done earlier? Lane failing the physical sucks, but he is a nice insurance policy for DB injuries in the reaming games. Funny how the script flipped on Lane because of an injuries and a cheaper salary / play of the rookie. Lane is solid and has proved himself on this team and I hope he gets right and is a productive member of the LOB for the rest of the year. He has the skill set and potential to do so.

Stop trashing Lane, he will come around and produce for this team. The new starting LT is the unproven guy on the team, but he should be an immediate upgrade.

Agreed on almost everything but the new guy being unproven, The guy is a pro bowler LT and has been top 10 nearly every year, cant get more proven than that and graded out as only giving up 1 or 2 pressures in our game so he is pretty good and a lot better than what we have

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3sl5yn94 said:
CalgaryHawk":3sl5yn94 said:
Boy the Hawks are desperate throwing more high round draft picks for a 1 and a half year rental of a 33 year old tackle who best playing days are 2 seasons in the past. This guy better be good to make this trade worth the cost considering all the starters the Hawks have drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the years who they barely have to pay compared to Brown

Hyperbole much?

He is 32 years old, and adding a year to bolster your argument only weakens it.

He is NOT 2 years past his prime. He was a Pro Bowl Alternate in 2016. He played the whole game Sunday after sitting out and only gave up 1 sack. And even then the Guard pointed to himself like it was his fault. But the sack was charged to Duane.

This guy is one of the best Left Tackles in the NFL, and per Mark Schlereth, who saw the game Sunday, he's a "Dancing Bear."

And who cares what he costs? He's protecting our "priceless" franchise Quarterback.

I don’t think it’s hyperbole.. I hope this trade turns out well for the Hawks this time, but this front office has had more success with drafting 2nd rounders and turning them into productive starters than they have had trading high draft picks for players over 30 years old. I read from another poster that he was 33 years old, but I stand corrected if he’s actually 32 years old. It doesn’t change my position though that the Seahawks better get 4 good years out of him to make this trade worth the cost. What this trade really highlights to me is the difficulties this front office and the coaching staff have had identifying Offensive tackles in the draft. Hopefully Fant and Ifedi will begin to reverse that trend over the next few years.

Regardless, if this trade protects Wilson from getting a serious injury over the next 4 years or brings them another SuperBowl title, then it will be a good trade for the Hawks

inda2o6

Reaction score
The front office has proven that they don't value high draft picks as much as other teams, they decided a free-agent former basketball player that last played football was in grade school, was good enough to protect Russell this year. Draft picks make the team, when they earn the spot, except for darboh. The team knows, they have better luck finding players on the free-agent market after the draft. The scouting department probably gets over-ruled by Tom Cable when it comes to o-linemen. He has his a set of traits, he looks for, and the front office caters to his coaching style... i don't like it. I think Lane will fall lower on the depth chart if Shead comes back healthy in a few weeks. Of courseLane wont be happy about losing more snaps. The team has proven that they can handle emotional players, but i don't think players that complain and don't back it up with their play, will get off the bench much. I'm fine with the team using draft picks, they haven't really hit on o-lineman in the draft often. This isn't about fleecing the future, keeping Russell healthy now, is more important then spending a pick each, the next 2 years. Just my opinion, what do i know... i'm just a crazy person, fresh out of western state "university"(hospital).

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's basically two 3rd rounders.

Schneider will get one of those back with a comp pick by then.

If I told you that you could draft a LT with our (typically low) 2nd rounder, and have to throw a 3rd rounder in...and that LT was guaranteed to be only above average to good and guaranteed to not be a bust....given the state of our OL..who wouldn't do that ?

Now imagine that guy is a top 5 LT in the league. That's what we just did. Draft picks are valuable but not guaranteed. Especially given our history of drafting OL. We just got a proven commodity. Which is worth more, IMO. Don't see what the whining is about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks46":vywu4do0 said:
It's basically two 3rd rounders.

Schneider will get one of those back with a comp pick by then.

If I told you that you could draft a LT with our (typically low) 2nd rounder, and have to throw a 3rd rounder in...and that LT was guaranteed to be only above average to good and guaranteed to not be a bust....given the state of our OL..who wouldn't do that ?

Now imagine that guy is a top 5 LT in the league. That's what we just did. Draft picks are valuable but not guaranteed. Especially given our history of drafting OL. We just got a proven commodity. Which is worth more, IMO. Don't see what the whining is about.

Well we have two weeks probably to see what happens, Props to John and Pete for finally seeing that you can't plug and play consistently at LT, this has to have some reflection on Cable and Bevell, like Sherman Smith last year with the Running Backs, Pete has to hold someone accountable for costing us picks which both Pete and John have a high value on. Be interesting to see what happens going forward now.

Especially since a so called bust pick is tearing up things in Baltimore.

original poster

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks the team paid a steep price in this trade doesn't understand the importance of the LT position.

We'd have never been in a position to draft a good LT, at least for the foreseeable.

Fade

Reaction score
original poster":2sfuecz5 said:
Anyone that thinks the team paid a steep price in this trade doesn't understand the importance of the LT position.

We'd have never been in a position to draft a good LT, at least for the foreseeable.

Yup.

Let's see Schneider try and trade up into the top half of the 1st round to get the 3rd LT off of the board with the top 2 having already been drafted. Using only a late 3rd, and a next years 2nd. (No 1st rounder involved.) He would get laughed off of the phone. And let's say JS magically pulled it off anyway due to the GM on the other end of the phone was suffering from brain damage, there is no guarantee that guy would be any good. And to top it all off that player can't help you right now in this season -> 2017. A+ trade.

The Seahawks aced this. They got lucky because of the Bob McNair situation. LTs that surrender just 1 sack in the last year and a half don't become readily available for just a couple of 3rds value wise.

Scott McCloughan said Seattle made the best trade at the deadline on twitter as well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm still pumped about this trade! The FO is certainly going 'all in' this season. I agree with the above post and think getting the LT would not have easily happened in next season's draft and the certainty with this acquisition that the player acquired can play the position at a high level.

This situation with Lane is still something that could pay dividends for the team. It just may take longer. A trade next spring or prior to the draft? As a player he has value but is presently surplus to needs. He does have some real ability but has been hurt quite a bit to make his present contract expensive. That could quickly change. With Shead returning shortly and the surprising positive play of Griffin and also Coleman the team has an embarrassment of riches at CB. This could change in a single play as we experienced in XLIX. Lane may still prove to be a valuable part of the D. If not he will get unloaded

Meanwhile now the OLine now has a mentor and a solid LT to anchor the group. The blind side of RW is safe after a few seasons of him being forced to run away from the instant pass rush or facing some big hits or instant pressures. There is hope the team may soon be able to run behind Brown and he improves the run blocking, but at least now there will be two key positions of OL strength, the depth immediately got markedly better. Now the OL has an experienced player who can teach the younger tackles some of the tricks of the position. Things could immediately improve for Wilson if just one side of his protection is strengthenedand that is likely the key result of the trade. Watching Brown in his his first game of this season he was pretty impressive compared to Odhiambo or Fant. With Fant I think if he can return to health the team just might've I expensively found another valuable piece they can keep and develop going forward. For now I can see some changes to the rest of the lineup and don't expect Joeckel back. Odhiambo may be the best player for the LG position the team has and we may see more flux there but the choices got better. Finally this might be a a watershed moment for Coach Cable as there is little doubt that Brown is the best player he's had at LT in his time here. This to me will translate to much better than a 20% improvement of the OLine and answers a huge and glaring need for the team. If Cable can't do something with Brown's addition he needs to be employed elsewhere.

I expect to see more OLine roster change at OT and suspect that at least one of the depth players at T will be the player that will be cut or waived to allow for the return of Lane or the addition of Brown whichever is technically the move that occurs. It's unfortunate it has only happened now but it's happened thankfully.

original poster

Reaction score
Fade":3pzx74p4 said:
original poster":3pzx74p4 said:

Yup.

Let's see Schneider try and trade up into the top half of the 1st round to get the 3rd LT off of the board with the top 2 having already been drafted. Using only a late 3rd, and a next years 2nd. (No 1st rounder involved.) He would get laughed off of the phone. And let's say JS magically pulled it off anyway due to the GM on the other end of the phone was suffering from brain damage, there is no guarantee that guy would be any good. And to top it all off that player can't help you right now in this season -> 2017. A+ trade.

The Seahawks aced this. They got lucky because of the Bob McNair situation. LTs that surrender just 1 sack in the last year and a half don't become readily available for just a couple of 3rds value wise.

Scott McCloughan said Seattle made the best trade at the deadline on twitter as well.

Spot on!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
.Net never ceases to amaze me..... People will complain about everything!!!

Oline threads for years......

We finally go out and make a move for a pro bowl level LT now a bunch of people think we paid way too much!!!

you guys know this isn't Madden with the trade override button right? Texans know Browns value, know Seattles need, and negotiated accordingly.

(YES I know that Im complaining about the complaining, which adds to the .net complaining I was complaining about :) )

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":pkd5e6f4 said:
Since we also get their 5th next year, we basically fall 50 spots in the draft, surrender a '19 second and of course get a time-tested Pro Bowl LT. Still a sweet deal.

For a couple of years. We'll have to replace him sooner rather than later due to the decline in his play, and now we have no second- or third-round pick next year. That's a big burr in the shoe of John's draft strategy, because we only have the first-rounder to work with. It means we're likely drafting for need and thus limited in how much freedom we have to go BPA.

Not saying it was a bad trade. Just a costly one, and definitely a win-now one. If someone wanted to make the argument that they were willing to draft merely a decent left tackle for ten years instead of a great one for two (and severely hampered options in the next two drafts), it's not crazy. Then again, 2018's tackle class wasn't looking awesome either.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":2hpi5ixp said:
CalgaryHawk":2hpi5ixp said:
kidhawk":2hpi5ixp said:
CalgaryHawk":2hpi5ixp said:
Boy the Hawks are desperate throwing more high round draft picks for a 1 and a half year rental of a 33 year old tackle who beat playing days are 2 years in the past. This guy better be good to make it worth it.

It's highly unlikely he leaves us after next season. Schneider said he'd like to see him retire here. That sounds like 3 years minimum. It just takes time to work out the details of a contract like that.

They need to get at least 4 solid seasons out of him to make this trade worth the cost. Or one SuperBowl title.

It's super bowl or bust with this move. :2thumbs:
And I agree that would be worth it. I'm thinking they see 2 years min. 3-4 if their lucky.

And he is 32 BTW not 33. Adding a year to make the point is suspicious.

Andrew whitworth is 35, and his addition to the Rams completely changed that team. Brown is at very least as good as whitworth, if not a little better. He has 3 or more years, barring injury, if he wants to play.

GLio14

Reaction score
Honestly, the fact that we keep Lane now is even more of a win. Keep him for a year, then cut him after the season.

Seymour

Reaction score
GLio14":x3bcbzc9 said:
Honestly, the fact that we keep Lane now is even more of a win. Keep him for a year, then cut him after the season.

Did you watch his play last game? DPI while in double coverage? Lane seems lost out there to be honest. I'm not so sure given his dissatisfaction here that is a good idea personally.

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2jew5i5s said:
For a couple of years. We'll have to replace him sooner rather than later due to the decline in his play, and now we have no second- or third-round pick next year.

I'd say the over/under for Brown playing at a high level is 2.5 years.

The good news is that Brown has a very talented protege in George Fant. By the time Brown starts declining, Fant (if he fully recovers, keeps progressing, and we re-sign him) will be ready to step in. The coaches seem pretty high on Battle as well.

Ifedi, Odhiambo, and Pocic are getting some valuable experience, which should help offset the losses of Joekel and Aboushi next year. As a whole the line is already starting to gel and should be in much better shape as the playoffs approach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GLio14":3p20sd73 said:

We can't go the rest of the season with only 300k in cap space, that's a recipe for disaster. Someone else is going to get hurt, we'll need that cap space.

So my guess is we'll keep Lane for another couple of weeks inactive getting him as healthy as possible, then release him and hope another team desperate for a DB picks him and his salary up.

iigakusei

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12hgseeh said:
Siouxhawk":12hgseeh said:
Since we also get their 5th next year, we basically fall 50 spots in the draft, surrender a '19 second and of course get a time-tested Pro Bowl LT. Still a sweet deal.

For a couple of years. We'll have to replace him sooner rather than later due to the decline in his play, and now we have no second- or third-round pick next year. That's a big burr in the shoe of John's draft strategy, because we only have the first-rounder to work with. It means we're likely drafting for need and thus limited in how much freedom we have to go BPA.

Not saying it was a bad trade. Just a costly one, and definitely a win-now one. If someone wanted to make the argument that they were willing to draft merely a decent left tackle for ten years instead of a great one for two (and severely hampered options in the next two drafts), it's not crazy. Then again, 2018's tackle class wasn't looking awesome either.
But you also have to draft the RIGHT guy. It isn't that easy to draft even an average tackle. Ifedi was a 1st rounder. I would say his ceiling is to be an average right tackle - maybe a pretty good guard. Look at all the recent high draft picks on tackles that didn't work out. Duane Brown is old sure - but we know he can play left tackle right now - something nobody else on our team could.

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on this...but how can a cornerback who has been a starter throughout most of the season not pass a physical. I believe the physicals are done by each team so I does that mean that teams can determine their own standards? Are there NFL standards? If teams set their own standards then can that sets up a situation where a team can accept a trade with the clause that the player must pass a physical and then not pass him.

This doesn't pass the smell test to me, I wonder if the Texans wanted the draft picks over Lane and found a way to get them.

Latest posts