Lane Failed Physical, More Draft Picks for Duane Brown now!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Regarding the 2018 cap, with Schneider saying they want to keep Brown for the rest of his career, is it safe to assume we will extend him in the off-season in a way that may reduce his cap number for next year?

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1ainwo35 said:
Regarding the 2018 cap, with Schneider saying they want to keep Brown for the rest of his career, is it safe to assume we will extend him in the off-season in a way that may reduce his cap number for next year?

Since Brown wasn't happy with his contract in Houston, you can bet that he wants to renegotiate, and with Schneider saying he wants him to finish his career here, it's safe to assume that they are probably already working on a new contract for him. In years past, we've extended deals in December, which is only a month away and that isn't that long in contract negotiation terms. I'd think that we have something done before the end of the season, but early off season would be the latest. If it gets towards mini camps and such, we may have to contend with him holding out, and that isn't something that Pete and John would want, so I have to believe it's done sooner rather than later.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Millen Hawk":n42fm9kg said:
Excuse my ignorance on this...but how can a cornerback who has been a starter throughout most of the season not pass a physical. I believe the physicals are done by each team so I does that mean that teams can determine their own standards? Are there NFL standards? If teams set their own standards then can that sets up a situation where a team can accept a trade with the clause that the player must pass a physical and then not pass him.

This doesn't pass the smell test to me, I wonder if the Texans wanted the draft picks over Lane and found a way to get them.

Well, he's missed several games due to injury this year. He only came back for 1 game.

I imagine every team has different standards. This has happened to us before, I believe John Moffitt failed a physical after we traded him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":gx0ngb2f said:
Millen Hawk":gx0ngb2f said:
Excuse my ignorance on this...but how can a cornerback who has been a starter throughout most of the season not pass a physical. I believe the physicals are done by each team so I does that mean that teams can determine their own standards? Are there NFL standards? If teams set their own standards then can that sets up a situation where a team can accept a trade with the clause that the player must pass a physical and then not pass him.

This doesn't pass the smell test to me, I wonder if the Texans wanted the draft picks over Lane and found a way to get them.

Well, he's missed several games due to injury this year. He only came back for 1 game.

I imagine every team has different standards. This has happened to us before, I believe John Moffitt failed a physical after we traded him.

Also, a team is bound to look at an injury differently when considering bringing someone onto their roster than they will look at the injury if they are already on the roster.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be funny if we met Houston in the Super Bowl and Jeremy Lane was instrumental in sealing a Seahawks win?!

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":18siqrli said:
XxXdragonXxX":18siqrli said:
Millen Hawk":18siqrli said:

Also, a team is bound to look at an injury differently when considering bringing someone onto their roster than they will look at the injury if they are already on the roster.

Thanks for the info...Would it be it safe to say that the Hawks most likely knew that Lane wouldn't pass the physical? I just can't imagine one team would be able to start a player and use him in a trade while another team won't sign off on him passing a physical.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Millen Hawk":1afrkwxe said:
kidhawk":1afrkwxe said:
XxXdragonXxX":1afrkwxe said:
Millen Hawk":1afrkwxe said:

Thanks for the info...Would it be it safe to say that the Hawks most likely knew that Lane wouldn't pass the physical? I just can't imagine one team would be able to start a player and use him in a trade while another team won't sign off on him passing a physical.

I really can't say what the Hawks knew or even assumed. We don't even know for sure what they saw in Houston to fail him. The information we currently have is just too limited. Pete might make it more clear once he does his next press conference, but he may opt not to answer that question, so we just kind of have to sit in a waiting pattern for more details to surface before we can really know for sure. As for us playing him and him failing a physical, I would assume there are various injuries that a team doctor might allow a player to play with if they are already on the roster, that they may be more suspect of if signing that same player to a new deal or getting him in a trade.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Texans probably got sellers remorse and then watched the game film then decided that no way was Lane passing their physical. Knowing how the Hawks coveted Brown, they knew they could get a better deal after the fact. JS was supposedly on good terms with the Texans GM but I imagine he is a little less so after this transparent ruse.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":ahritvlk said:
HawkRiderFan":ahritvlk said:

Since Brown wasn't happy with his contract in Houston, you can bet that he wants to renegotiate, .

There are other factors to why he may have held out. Those are not allowed to be discussed so going to leave it at we do not know if it was only the contract that led to the dispute, but I am sure he would be happy to discuss a new contract

So will a few others on the team.

mikeak

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1g6peymy said:
KitsapGuy":1g6peymy said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/StayingInMyLane/status/925545873249009664[/tweet]

He was talking Halloween.

or he had a concussion which is why he failed a physical and the lights was hurting his head..........

probably not though

Alexander

Reaction score
mikeak":2scf1iqg said:
kidhawk":2scf1iqg said:
HawkRiderFan":2scf1iqg said:

Since Brown wasn't happy with his contract in Houston, you can bet that he wants to renegotiate, .

There are other factors to why he may have held out. Those are not allowed to be discussed so going to leave it at we do not know if it was only the contract that led to the dispute

I thought I saw in multiple places that the holdout was primarily about his contract, specifically about wanting more of his contract guaranteed. (This is a pretty typical reason for a contract-related holdout.) Either way, my guess is that the front office has assured him they'll negotiate an extension after the season is over. That would fit with their usual MO of doing extensions with one year remaining, and it should make Brown happy as he'll get a signing bonus right away.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
mikeak":2m79fxys said:
kidhawk":2m79fxys said:
HawkRiderFan":2m79fxys said:

There are other factors to why he may have held out. Those are not allowed to be discussed so going to leave it at we do not know if it was only the contract that led to the dispute, but I am sure he would be happy to discuss a new contract

So will a few others on the team.

You can discuss it here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=140977

Latest posts