Lang visited (UPDATE: signs with Lions)

nash72

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1igsmz5p said:
what gets me are the posters here saying the o line is bound to improve with another year under their belt???? maybe joeckel adds something but the holes and horrible players are still there. like i said this is the year wilson goes down for the season...

Its baffling isn't it?

Josea16

Reaction score
10-6, 10-5-1 two playoff appearances with one division title and 2-2 in the playoffs isn't subpar by any objective standard of measurement. Especially by the other 24 teams you were, in fact better then over that span.

Chapow

Reaction score
OpHawk":1b6buhrc said:
Siouxhawk":1b6buhrc said:
LegendKiller":1b6buhrc said:
Since XLIX our record has been getting progressively worse. Players are getting older. More players are getting injured. More issues are coming up....o-line has been getting worse and now one of the worst in the league. Running game has been a disaster due to o-line and Lynch leaving. Our defense isn't as stout as it once was due to FA and injuries. We now don't have a starting CB opposite Sherm. These are all MAJOR issues. No run game, no o-line, older players, injuries...these are all critical shortcomings that NO team can overcome and win a Super Bowl without fixing. Not a pessimist, I'm a realist. Can't deny the facts.
Nothing you present as facts are actually facts.

Did you read his first sentence?

good grief man you live in your own alternate universe

Did you?

This was his first sentence, "Since XLIX our record has been getting progressively worse."

2015 10-6

2016 10-5-1

So our record actually improved by half a game from 2015 to 2016. His first sentence was factually incorrect.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":1wb7o5jo said:
Cyrus12":1wb7o5jo said:
what gets me are the posters here saying the o line is bound to improve with another year under their belt???? maybe joeckel adds something but the holes and horrible players are still there. like i said this is the year wilson goes down for the season...

Its baffling isn't it?

It's baffling that people rail on about it less than 24 hours after the FO missed out on trying to sign improvement.. might be interesting to see what happens tomorrow?

Josea16

Reaction score
nash72":3lbm4v8i said:
Cyrus12":3lbm4v8i said:

Its baffling isn't it?
Why? Given it's fact that between year one and two the biggest jump in improvement occurs. And the it's fact that continuity is critical for improvement on OL. Far more than any other position group. And FA isn't over or the fact that some teams above us in the draft that need serious OL may allow a couple elite types to drop to us or make it more realistic to trade up because they signed OL in FA to address their issues.

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":w60ozk0g said:
nash72":w60ozk0g said:
Cyrus12":w60ozk0g said:

Its baffling isn't it?

It's baffling that people rail on about it less than 24 hours after the FO missed out on trying to sign improvement.. might be interesting to see what happens tomorrow?

Yeah, the fans have only been complaining about the Oline for the last 24 hours. OK

Whats going to be so interesting about tomorrow? The FA pool gets thinner with each passing day. Hey, at least we overpaid for some mediocre, crippled lineman that probably wont even be ready by the beginning of the season. That's an improvement over what we have I suppose. Its not like we aren't in the running for AP either. Everybody knows he'll be a huge difference maker.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":oyfxi1lb said:
Seymour":oyfxi1lb said:
Couple things: losing out on Lang sucked but clearly they are trying to address it and realize Joeckel is not the only addition.

This team was built through the draft. They have confidence they can address issues there.

Not the oline. 2 of the starters were brought in as free agents, and one was drafted by Holmgren.

Good gracious.

Super Bowl winning Oline wasn't drafted? Who cares who did it. It's a significant part of how they build the team...they tried for Lang. Maybe see how week 2 of free agency goes?

Read your statement again.

This team was built through the draft. They have confidence they can address issues there.

Why would anyone be confident THEY can do it (Draft oline well) when their record on misses proves otherwise?? We all should care "who did it" because it needs to happen NOW. No, correction, 2 years ago! They tried like hell last year, and look at the cluster %$#@ that created.

I am not all that bothered about losing Lang, as they had cards stacked against them there. I'm concerned Joeckel was a big swing and a miss that will cost us.

Josea16

Reaction score
Why? So we sign Russell Okung at 13M a year long term? Face it the market went into crazyland almost immediately.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2btk0v4f said:
Uncle Si":2btk0v4f said:
Seymour":2btk0v4f said:
Couple things: losing out on Lang sucked but clearly they are trying to address it and realize Joeckel is not the only addition.

Not the oline. 2 of the starters were brought in as free agents, and one was drafted by Holmgren.

Good gracious.

Super Bowl winning Oline wasn't drafted? Who cares who did it. It's a significant part of how they build the team...they tried for Lang. Maybe see how week 2 of free agency goes?

Read your statement again.

Why would anyone be confident THEY can do it (Draft oline well) when their record on misses proves otherwise?? We all should care "who did it" because it needs to happen NOW. No, correction, 2 years ago! They tried like hell last year, and look at the cluster %$#@ that created.

I am not all that bothered about losing Lang, as they had cards stacked against them there. I'm concerned Joeckel was a big swing and a miss that will cost us.

They drafted two of the starting 5 of the 2013 super bowl team.... yes?

Joeckel is a risk. They obviously see that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":315iyssx said:
Uncle Si":315iyssx said:
nash72":315iyssx said:
Cyrus12":315iyssx said:

Its baffling isn't it?

Yeah, the fans have only been complaining about the Oline for the last 24 hours. OK

Whats going to be so interesting about tomorrow? The FA pool gets thinner with each passing day. Hey, at least we overpaid for some mediocre, crippled lineman that probably wont even be ready by the beginning of the season. That's an improvement over what we have I suppose. Its not like we aren't in the running for AP either. Everybody knows he'll be a huge difference maker.

Nope. Just complaining about not signing an FA target for that long.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I wanted the Hawks to sign Lang too, but I figured he'd go back to GB.
I thought it was a longshot to begin with. It would have been nice but it would have put us pretty tight against the cap.
Forward.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1l7dma6t said:

Look, you said they built this team through the draft. I said not oline.

You just proved my point as true, but carry on as I'm done with this madness.

Josea16

Reaction score
Seymour":3pv233u6 said:
Uncle Si":3pv233u6 said:

Look, you said they built this team through the draft. I said not oline.

You just proved my point as true, but carry on as I'm done with this madness.
He did just say they drafted 2 of the current 5 and we all know Britt is very good/possibly elite so why all the angst given you were proven objectively wrong? OL is in fact a part of the team right? They absolutely know it's an issue and I sincerely doubt they sit on their ass and don't try something else beyond Lang.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Geez Louise, the negativity is incredible, so Lang didn't sign here, Boo Hoo. On to plan B or C. There is little doubt the FO wants to add a veteran player to the OLine, I wouldn't bet against them finding a way to get that done.

I really disagree with the since XLIX post. In quantifiable terms it is wrong. The Hawks have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs both seasons since. Last year the team overcame early adversity and played well towards the end of the year despite some key injuries.

Some perspective give is needed by a few here. Imagine being a Panthers fan this season.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
nash72":m6zpsi9p said:
Cyrus12":m6zpsi9p said:

Its baffling isn't it?

'Cuz Britt?
'Cuz 3 rookies?

What makes it so baffling?

Josea16

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2nhvzuim said:
nash72":2nhvzuim said:
Cyrus12":2nhvzuim said:

Its baffling isn't it?

'Cuz Britt?
'Cuz 3 rookies?

What makes it so baffling?
So you're actually going to include Britt in this mess. Enough hyperbole. You prove it to me right now that Britt has anything to do with the current bad state of the OL. I'm curious and patient. I figure it's the fact we played 3 rookies and a second year guy with him while he became among the top at his position? And had running backs that couldn't stay healthy if their life depended on it. I'm curious so please explain.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2gtqg5ys said:
I'm not counting this as a total loss for the front office. My opinion is/was that there were two goals in hosting Lang. 1 - Bring him in to upgrade the O-line. 2 - Even if we can't bring him in, set the market price high enough that Green Bay couldn't/ wouldn't match it thus weakening one of our key obstacles to another SB. (I don't see Detroit as any obstacle.). In fact it is entirely possible that the primary goal was just to ensure that he isn't playing for GB next year.

I think they successfully negotiated this, and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. They set a price that they knew GB wouldn't/ couldn't match, and perhaps set a price that they felt Detroit would match.
Great thoughts bigdoc

Josea16

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2ou5g3iw said:
I'm not counting this as a total loss for the front office. My opinion is/was that there were two goals in hosting Lang. 1 - Bring him in to upgrade the O-line. 2 - Even if we can't bring him in, set the market price high enough that Green Bay couldn't/ wouldn't match it thus weakening one of our key obstacles to another SB. (I don't see Detroit as any obstacle.). In fact it is entirely possible that the primary goal was just to ensure that he isn't playing for GB next year.

I think they successfully negotiated this, and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. They set a price that they knew GB wouldn't/ couldn't match, and perhaps set a price that they felt Detroit would match.
Hmm, love it if that was a factor. So like Frank Herbert's Dune series. A game within the game move. If you can't make a direct move mess your competitors up however possible. :D

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Josea16":3e1mj0v7 said:
nash72":3e1mj0v7 said:
Cyrus12":3e1mj0v7 said:

Its baffling isn't it?
Why? Given it's fact that between year one and two the biggest jump in improvement occurs. And the it's fact that continuity is critical for improvement on OL. Far more than any other position group. And FA isn't over or the fact that some teams above us in the draft that need serious OL may allow a couple elite types to drop to us or make it more realistic to trade up because they signed OL in FA to address their issues.
Wow Josea. Usually you and me are at loggerheads. But tonight you are spot on brilliant!

Josea16

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":30frj6n2 said:
Josea16":30frj6n2 said:
nash72":30frj6n2 said:
Cyrus12":30frj6n2 said:

Its baffling isn't it?
Wow Josea. Usually you and me are at loggerheads. But tonight you are spot on brilliant!
Well we're talking OL and not Jackson. You're a good dude Souixhawk and it's totally legal if I agree with you on some things without any issues right? Don't mistake that I really wished we could have snagged Lang but it's fact we were being used as leverage like Jared Allen did. So go plan B. At least try for a tier two veteran and if not successful wait for the draft and see what opportunities open up to us. Russell Wilson was everyone beyond Earl Thomas in the drafted core correct?