Las Vegas Raiders???

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
soohawk":330b37u0 said:
KillerB":330b37u0 said:
SeatownJay":330b37u0 said:
So now Mark Davis is saying that if Las Vegas approves funding for a stadium he will commit to relocating the Raiders there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -approved/

Dang, that guy's haircut is the stuff of legend.

All anybody needs to replicate it is a pair of scissors and a cereal bowl :)

From interviews, he seems like a decent fellow. When you get those looks from Daddy than you might as well roll with the bowl cut--why not?

rjdriver

Reaction score
My Dad lives there. I would love another game to go to every four years or whatever it is!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He's doing it IMO because the NFL essentially iced out the Raiders in the Rams/Chargers/Raiders Los Angeles derby.

He doesn't have much juice among the other NFL owners, and might also still be being punished for the sins of his father.

Despite the haircut jokes, going public about Vegas and working a deal out there is really a savvy move by him:

He knows the NFL doesn't want a team there so if he can work everything out there financially he forces the NFL's hand in ponying up more money and letting him go back to Los Angeles.

I don't know if it's him or his advisers, but looks aside, he's playing chess right now, and playing it well.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3sys3zgc said:
He's doing it IMO because the NFL essentially iced out the Raiders in the Rams/Chargers/Raiders Los Angeles derby.

He doesn't have much juice among the other NFL owners, and might also still be being punished for the sins of his father.

Despite the haircut jokes, going public about Vegas and working a deal out there is really a savvy move by him:

He knows the NFL doesn't want a team there so if he can work everything out there financially he forces the NFL's hand in ponying up more money and letting him go back to Los Angeles.

I don't know if it's him or his advisers, but looks aside, he's playing chess right now, and playing it well.

Indeed and great post Marv.

The NFL's need to continually shit on the Raiders franchise serves as a window into the (Tom) petty and "good old boy" nature of the owners' clubhouse. Bob McNair, a recent addition to the club, referenced Al Davis's lawsuit against the league just this past summer. McNair nor his franchise even existed when Al sued the league!

The owners still hold a grudge against the Davis family and that grudge is more important than anything else. Its that simple. Good for Mark forcing the NFL's hand like this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pehawk":1i61jwaz said:
Popeyejones":1i61jwaz said:

Indeed and great post Marv.

The NFL's need to continually shit on the Raiders franchise serves as a window into the (Tom) petty and "good old boy" nature of the owners' clubhouse. Bob McNair, a recent addition to the club, referenced Al Davis's lawsuit against the league just this past summer. McNair nor his franchise even existed when Al sued the league!

The owners still hold a grudge against the Davis family and that grudge is more important than anything else. Its that simple. Good for Mark forcing the NFL's hand like this.

Very much agree with this. The Raiders and the Raiders brand have been pushed to the fringes of a league that only exacts change when it fits the model of its most substantial ownership. For all of the circus antics that follow the Raiders, it is refreshing to see them push the NFL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":22q1cr6j said:

Can't decide if it's funnier for this to have been intentional or a slip of the tongue.

Either way, :lol: :lol:

:th2thumbs:

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":b6ukym9c said:
pehawk":b6ukym9c said:

Can't decide if it's funnier for this to have been intentional or a slip of the tongue.

Either way, :lol: :lol:

:th2thumbs:

It was intentional. Besides, we all know Marv can't discuss anything outside of 49ers.

I'm not sure why, but the league’s treatment of the Raiders evokes actual anger in me. It's just slimy. So much so that the rival of my youth is now my #2 team. I'm half tempted to buy a double-wide and slang rocks in solidarity with Raiders nation.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^

:lol:

Yeah, the Raiders have a pretty sizeable "hicks from the sticks" contingent to their fanbase that you just really don't see at all among any of the other fanbases in the Bay Area.

It's like Sons of Anarchy takes sundays off and rides down from the mountains into Oakland.

Of course, Al Davis was the perfect avatar for those folks (If he didn't make his money in trucking or truck stops he probably should have -- he was much more Reno than Las Vegas), and even if he wasn't calling BS on the NFL all the time he was totally the type of guy that other billionaires would look down their noses at.

As a Jewish kid with a white collar mom growing up while the Raiders were in L.A. the chances of me being a Raiders fan were pretty slim, but I've always had a major soft spot for that organization, and have passively rooted for the team to do well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Agree with all of you that Davis is playing this well and the NFL has a hardon for the franchise and the family. As PE stated in the schedule bitching thread, the NFL doesn't even try to hide the fact that they are screwing the Raiders.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in Vegas as I type this. Hawks playing in Vegas might be like another home game for Seattle.
Also when they get an NHL team, it might be the only way for me to attend an NHL Game.

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1trgk83x said:
That haircut.

Damn. :mrgreen:

Third time is a charm...

There is eccentric...and then there is poor taste. He also wears a fanny pack and drives a hooptie minivan. Ignorance is bliss even to billionaires I guess.

Shy

rideaducati

Reaction score
ShyCheetah":2cfbubjw said:
HoustonHawk82":2cfbubjw said:
That haircut.

Damn. :mrgreen:

Third time is a charm...

There is eccentric...and then there is poor taste. He also wears a fanny pack and drives a hooptie minivan. Ignorance is bliss even to billionaires I guess.

Shy

I don't see him as ignorant at all. He seems to be humble, which is refreshing to see from someone that is rich because he was born into money.

chris98251

Reaction score
Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":23vk8nxe said:
Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

There's questions weather Los Angeles can support 2 teams. No way Vegas could. Hell, Seattle is bigger than Vegas.