LB vs DE

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He was the SAM linebacker. In Carroll's 4-3 defense the SAM linebacker played on the line of scrimmage on the same side as the tight end.

Pretty sure all SAMs play on the same side as the TE in a 4-3. It’s the strong side.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He was the SAM linebacker. In Carroll's 4-3 defense the SAM linebacker played on the line of scrimmage on the same side as the tight end.
So what was KJ Wright in Carroll’s 4-3?

Mick063

Reaction score
I guess I'm really dating myself with this one, but in my playing days, the terms were weakside linebacker (now called Will) and strongside linebacker (now called Sam). I was a weakside linebacker and always lined up on the opposite side of the tight end. I was lighter and quicker than the strongside linebacker. The strongside linebacker was intended to hold up at the point of attack (teams are more likely to run to the side of their tight end) where the weakside linebacker is more suitable for pursuit, or in other words, chasing people down. Further, the weakside linebacker was typically more involved in quarterback pressure, while the strongside linebacker was typically more involved in coverage. With regard to pass protection against the blitz, the weakside linebacker routinely encountered pass blocking from running backs (or occasionally no blocking at all!) while the strong side linebacker can encounter either a pass blocking tight end or a pass blocking running back (or both). My running back was the key, if he went to the flat on my side, I covered him, if he did anything else, I went after the QB. However, we typically never sent the strongside linebacker after the quarterback. His job was to "ride" the tight end for as far and as long as possible.

Of course, there is the issue of motion. If a tight end motions to the formerly weak side, then the weak side linebacker has to assume the strong side role. To compensate for an undersized linebacker (like me) being matched up against the bigger tight end, the team I played for compensated for this by cheating the safety up to provide run support help. In other words, we assumed the tight end shift was intended to create a blocking mismatch with the intent to run the ball to my side (the former weak side).

Of course, this is all rudimentary high school level stuff. I'm not well versed in how the pros routinely deal with the fore mentioned scenarios.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
So what was KJ Wright in Carroll’s 4-3?
If I remember correctly, KJ has played both the WILL and SAM Linebacker positions at various times. I also believe he played some Mike Linebacker his rookie season.

sutz

Reaction score
Which is kind of the premise of the whole thread. People are arguing while using outdated terms. DE/OLB are both terms that mean different things, but some of the responsibilities have become interchangeable in today's game. The more people argue, the more confusing it gets. :)

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Which is kind of the premise of the whole thread. People are arguing while using outdated terms. DE/OLB are both terms that mean different things, but some of the responsibilities have become interchangeable in today's game. The more people argue, the more confusing it gets. :)

All defenses sort of work together. Bruce was a SAM and was a LB. He had run fit responsibilities and coverage responsibilities. It's really not that different from what Nwosu/Mafe/Taylor/Hall are asked to do today. The only real difference is when Bruce was on the field you know what he was going to do on a particular side of a play.

KJ was a WILL. He was practically a MIKE linebacker towards the middle 2010s because of how much nickle the team played.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
All defenses sort of work together. Bruce was a SAM and was a LB. He had run fit responsibilities and coverage responsibilities. It's really not that different from what Nwosu/Mafe/Taylor/Hall are asked to do today. The only real difference is when Bruce was on the field you know what he was going to do on a particular side of a play.

KJ was a WILL. He was practically a MIKE linebacker towards the middle 2010s because of how much nickle the team played.
Yes, for most of his career, he was the WILL. However, his first start in his rookie year was at MIKE replacing an injured David Hawthorne. Later that season he was moved to SAM, replacing Aaron Curry who was later traded to Oakland. In 2012 the starting linebackers were Leroy Hill (WILL), rookie Bobby Wagner (MIKE), and KJ Wright at SAM. In 2013 Malcolm Smith replaced Leroy Hill at WILL. In 2014 KJ moved to WILL linebacker and Bruce Irvin became the starting SAM. KJ remained at WILL until 2020 when he was moved back to SAM to replace an injured Bruce Irvin and Jordyn Brooks became the WILL linebacker.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With Jordyn Brooks back at practice, I'm looking at the roster and I have to admit after 50 years watching football I don't know who's a DE and who's a LB any more. We have guys like Mafe, Taylor, Nwosu, Bush, Hall, Jones, and even now safeties are pretending to be linebackers and I don't even know what's a 3-4 or a 4-5 or a 5-2 or-2-12 or any of the rest. We're a 3-4 with 4-3 concepts or a 4-3 with 3-4 concepts or a 2-11 with 8-4 concepts. Who the heck knows. Guys are playing somewhere between 1 and 5 gaps.

I actually read up on the difference between a 1 tech and a 9 tech, and thought a I had that sorted out, but I went to Snopes and it turns out the claims were considered false.

Please, don't try to explain it to me, because I'm hopeless. I'd just like to know I'm not the only one struggling to keep up.

It's definitely more confusing in the modern NFL, and now we're getting used to these 3-4 positional names. Sam, Mike, Will, etc.

Last week I heard the name "Jack LB." Which is kinda what you're talking about, a larger DE tyle LB that sets the edge and rushes the QB.