Left Tackle?

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":11d11725 said:
Cable should take a page out of George Castanza's playbook and do the opposite of what his gut says

His gut says...."that's not my fault, must be the "shrinkage". :D

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Someone please explain to me why for the next 2 PS games they wouldn't want to give a couple series each at LT to Pocic, Tobin, Odhi and Joeckel. Evaluate how each does against 1st stringers and then make your final decision after examining the Oakland tape. Seems like you would have nothing to lose and would have a good idea how each measures up against quality competition in deciding who starts.

Just seems strange to already eliminate Joeckel and Pocic from even consideration for the position. They obviously had no hesitation at all in throwing out Fant and Ifedi as rookies into the fire last year but won't give Pocic a chance anywhere on the line to start and are steadfast in keeping their $8 million rental at guard.

mikeak

Reaction score
The theory seems to be that the OL gets better than it's part when they get to play together as a group and build cohesiveness. So if you keep changing in and out just to find one guy that is marginally better then you may still end up with an inferior product.

Remember who we start against and it makes sense that we have to come out firing on all cylinders

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3a3a57md said:
Lords of Scythia":3a3a57md said:
DJrmb":3a3a57md said:
Lords of Scythia":3a3a57md said:
PC mentioned specifically that Odh played better with Joeckel in there, because of him. That's why they popped for the veteran. That's good news obviously, as they should be the starters.
Could it be that some of the improvement we saw in Fant before his injury had a lot more to do with Joeckel solidifying LG than we knew? In that case maybe Odhiambo can be just as good as Fant was looking with Joeckel playing beside him?
Oh hell yes, absolutely! He can be better! Joeckel and our seond-round (sorry, I just can't remember dude's name) ol pick are looking like great pick-ups right now.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pocic?
yeah that's it--thanks--sounds too much like Prosise--I'm autistic with certain things--took me forever to realize Mark Walberg and Matt Damon were too different actors

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
mikeak":418bo364 said:
The theory seems to be that the OL gets better than it's part when they get to play together as a group and build cohesiveness. So if you keep changing in and out just to find one guy that is marginally better then you may still end up with an inferior product.

Remember who we start against and it makes sense that we have to come out firing on all cylinders
ablsolutely right--we want to identify the starter ASAP and play them together all preseason

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Interested by the idea that Odhiambo played better when he went in initially with Joekel beside and struggled in the 2nd half without the starter next to him. Something to watch for in the first half on Friday

Jville

Reaction score
As a rookie, Rees Odhiambo had only 33 offensive snaps. The emphasis seems to be that of maximizing experience and competition among the interior 3. That can only help the offensive tackles on either side.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jville":kimzmhpp said:
As a rookie, Rees Odhiambo had only 33 offensive snaps. The emphasis seems to be that of maximizing experience and competition among the interior 3. That can only help the offensive tackles on either side.

In other words, it's 2016 again.

Good thing Russell's in better shape.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1vztpqi0 said:
Someone please explain to me why for the next 2 PS games they wouldn't want to give a couple series each at LT to Pocic, Tobin, Odhi and Joeckel. Evaluate how each does against 1st stringers and then make your final decision after examining the Oakland tape. Seems like you would have nothing to lose and would have a good idea how each measures up against quality competition in deciding who starts.

Just seems strange to already eliminate Joeckel and Pocic from even consideration for the position. They obviously had no hesitation at all in throwing out Fant and Ifedi as rookies into the fire last year but won't give Pocic a chance anywhere on the line to start and are steadfast in keeping their $8 million rental at guard.

I would have to agree with you when it comes to Pocic. I've seen enough from him to be convinced that he is one of the Seahawks very best linemen. And it's crazy to me to think that he might not even earn a starting position anywhere along that line! As the Princess Bride's Vizinni would say, "Inconceivable!!" Personally, I'd put him in the running for the starting RT position, but that's just me I guess.

As far as Joeckel is concerned, I can see the point of NOT moving him out of that LG spot -- and that is, that he's looked SO good there why move him? The thinking there is, why potentially destabilize TWO positions by moving Joeckel? I guess I can buy that, especially given the fact that when Joeckel WAS a starting LT ... he wasn't so hot at that position.

On Matt Tobin, as I've shared in the Tobin thread, I've gone back and watched some of his game tape from the Eagles first 2 Preseason games this season ... and I've been highly encouraged by what I've seen thus far. The Eagles had him in there in the 1st Quarter at both the LT and the RT spots. Tobin was going up against the 1st String Units of both the Packers and the Bills ... and Tobin was more than holding his own. He looked very solid in both run blocking and pass protection.

After seeing that footage for myself, I can see why the Seahawks sent a 5th Round pick the Eagles way for him. I'd definitely give Tobin a shot at winning that LT position. I'd say that the plan probably IS to give Tobin and Odhiambo both time at the LT position over the course of these last 2 Preseason games and see how each does. I would say that unless something changes, one of those 2 guys (Odhiambo or Tobin) will be the opening day starting LT.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Whether it's Odhiambo or Tobin at LT, the more important decision imo is who will win the RG battle.

My sense is Pete and Cable want to solidify the interior of the oline... leaving Joeckel and Britt together and finding out whether it will be Mark Glowinski or Oday Aboushi at RG to achieve the strongest LG/C/RG combination. IIRC, Glowinski would be returning to his collegiate RG position and is likely the front runner for now.

Play at the RG position will be the area of my focus come Friday night.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":32f5tjkw said:
On Matt Tobin, as I've shared in the Tobin thread, I've gone back and watched some of his game tape from the Eagles first 2 Preseason games this season ... and I've been highly encouraged by what I've seen thus far. The Eagles had him in there in the 1st Quarter at both the LT and the RT spots. Tobin was going up against the 1st String Units of both the Packers and the Bills ... and Tobin was more than holding his own. He looked very solid in both run blocking and pass protection.

Thanks for that clarification -- I had asked how he performed against starters which is the only interesting thing IMHO

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
good to hear on Tobin, that would be a massive upgrade over what we saw at LT last year and thus far in the pre-season this year.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ax1jlu2 said:
good to hear on Tobin, that would be a massive upgrade over what we saw at LT last year and thus far in the pre-season this year.

Disagree. "Massive upgrade" over Fant this year? He played well against SD and dropped off a bit against Minnesota but still much improved over last season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":y1zlmhf6 said:
I would feel more comfortable with a guy who has 21 starts in the NFL over Odhi

Pete's gonna give Odhiambo these last two pre-season games to prove he can play LT, if not you'll get your wish and Tobin will be in there.

Odhiambo will not be given the long leash that Fant got last year because he's the LT of the future.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fant was pushed around quite a bit last year, as was anyone else they threw in at LT. Yes, an upgrade. Maybe not massive, but hopefully :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3sdm5f2o said:
Fant was pushed around quite a bit last year, as was anyone else they threw in at LT. Yes, an upgrade. Maybe not massive, but hopefully :lol:

Right, don't get wrong losing Fant is a big deal. But it's not like we lost an all pro LT, we don't even know if Fant was the answer. He probably isn't.

Just hurts our depth and might create further chaos on the line if Odhiambo and/or Tobin/Pocic, etc can't anchor that position for the season.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":rn3mi8o5 said:

I am not talking about last year, I question the massive upgrade to this years Fant that you posted as well.

what we saw at LT last year and thus far in the pre-season this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I said probably not massive. Still likely to be an upgrade over him. I like him, but I'm not sure how a guy who has done nothing and is a converted basketball player is magically a huge loss.
It's only the most important position on the line. Incredibly frustrating that they seem to be throwing darts at a board hoping someone pans out.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2mwj1evs said:
I said probably not massive. Still likely to be an upgrade over him. I like him, but I'm not sure how a guy who has done nothing and is a converted basketball player is magically a huge loss.
It's only the most important position on the line. Incredibly frustrating that they seem to be throwing darts at a board hoping someone pans out.

By the fact he was JUST named starter, therefore the best LT we had this year and the work and progress that was showing in early games. Also the domino effect it could have on other positions.

Other than that...no big loss.

Latest posts