Left Tackle?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I think we will have the worst two starting OTs in the NFL this season. What else is new . . . LOL. Though I would rather Odhiambo play LT than any other position due to his comfort there having played the position for many years.

On the bright side, Russell Wilson is the most elusive QB in the league and he is in great shape. He also has some very good "safety valves" to get the ball off when he does encounter pressure (which will likely be a common occurrence). Doug Baldwin is one of the best slot receivers in the league. Marcel Reece is still one of the league's best receiving fullbacks. C.J. Prosise is a dynamic option to catch passes out of the backfield. And then there are all the big receivers on the roster: Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson, Nick Vannett, Tanner McEvoy, etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2jvymd1u said:
I think we will have the worst two starting OTs in the NFL this season. What else is new . . . LOL. Though I would rather Odhiambo play LT than any other position due to his comfort there having played the position for many years.

I think it has more to do with Pete not wanting to upset the rest of the O-line with having to move guys around, rather than he trusts Odhiambo.

If he trusted him, he wouldn't be behind a basketball player on the depth chart for the last two years.

All we need Russell to do is continue what he's been doing all pre-season, getting the ball in 2 seconds and run around and make plays. That way all that matters is the center and guards doing their job 80% of the time to give him that time to find someone without the pocket collapsing.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1rovnjeb said:
hawknation2017":1rovnjeb said:

I think it has more to do with Pete not wanting to upset the rest of the O-line with having to move guys around, rather than he trusts Odhiambo.

If he trusted him, he wouldn't be behind a basketball player on the depth chart for the last two years.

All we need Russell to do is continue what he's been doing all pre-season, getting the ball in 2 seconds and run around and make plays. That way all that matters is the center and guards doing their job 80% of the time to give him that time to find someone without the pocket collapsing.

Right now, the offensive line looks worse to me than it did at the end of last season. I don't like the fact that we chose not to seriously buttress our depth at OT by not paying Garry Gilliam the paltry $2.2 million it would have taken to bring him back for another season and by electing not to draft players with experience at OT (i.e. LT Cam Robinson & RT Taylor Moton, who already look like solid starters as rookies).

Ifedi looks worse at RT than he did at RG as a rookie, and he will almost certainly be worse in pass pro than Gilliam was, given that Gilliam is more fleet of foot than Ifedi & Gilliam had 2+ years of starting experience at the position.

I'm also not impressed with Aboushi at RG. He is a weak athlete, not explosive, and I'm not seeing the supposed physicality from him. I see Aboushi getting pushed around a lot, actually.

Odhiambo is the opposite of Ifedi. He has decent technique and lots of experience at LT, but poor athleticism & limited explosiveness off the line of scrimmage.

Joeckel and Glowinski are hit & miss. One play, they look like studs & the next play they make some boneheaded mistake.

So yeah . . . we are going to have the worst offensive line in the league, despite Britt's heady play at center, and Wilson is going to be running around a lot. Can the rest of the team compensate for that? I hope so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the interior is better with not only the addition of Joeckel, but the depth of guys like Pocic, Aboushi, Pericak and now Tobin who can play guard and tackle. All these guys can fill in nicely, last year we didn't have ANY depth.

But yes, our tackles are every bit as bad as last year, probably worse.

Jville

Reaction score
The interior line is well ahead of last year. It has more experience and a lot more depth. The interior is going to emerge as much improved. And, that will go a lot further in helping the tackles get off to a better start this year and provide the bases for a lot of growth at tackle.

With regards to Gary Gilliam, I was disappointed. I thought his development stalled. He couldn't sustain his growth and development into a complete starting right tackle last year. He was plugged in by default. Seattle moved on. The last time I looked. Gary Gilliam was listed as second stringer on the 49ers depth chart.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hopefully the interior being better can allow Russ to step up in the pocket to either throw or escape. Whether it's play design or him not taking it, I would like to see a lot more dump offs to the backs on third down. New England converts so many third downs on those type of plays.

Jville

Reaction score
With the deterioration in the college supply of NFL ready offensive tackles, it seems as though the scope of talent acquisition has changed. Building offensive lines from the inside out has become more common.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bk8k8w14 said:
I think the interior is better with not only the addition of Joeckel, but the depth of guys like Pocic, Aboushi, Pericak and now Tobin who can play guard and tackle. All these guys can fill in nicely, last year we didn't have ANY depth.

But yes, our tackles are every bit as bad as last year, probably worse.

That's actually a good point. Our starting talent has only just slipped up a notch, but our depth is sure better.

Latest posts