Let's Get Down To It...What Side Are You On?

If I have only two options...I want Russell Wilson to...

• Stay.

Votes: 85 66.9%
  • Be traded.

Votes: 42 33.1%

• Total voters

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Russell changed for the worse when Mahomes broke out his first year starting. Same general time when the NY/Ciara contract negotiation tactics first started. You can see how badly Russell wanted to best Mahomes in that regular season matchup back then. He was amped. Russell was essentially the heir apparent to Brady, Brees, Roger's as THE GUY in the league once those guys withered away.

Then Lamar shows out for an MVP and it's all Mahomes/Lamar talk as the future of the NFL. Russell starts chirping a obout needing more super star players in the offseason. FF a couple years, Mahomes has a SB in the pocket to equal Russ. Roger's, Brady still making conference championship games along with the up and coming media darling QBs of Burrow, Allen, and Herbert. Russell has to watch Brady win again and it pushes he and his representation into desperation mode.

Russell is quickly moving towards afterthought status after a poor year, so his people spin the machine up to keep his name out there while continuing to cultivate the narrative that PC and everyone else attached to Seattle is the reason the team and Russell haven't performed well into the postseason. It almost worked perfectly. The only problem is Russell got hurt and played average when he was healthy. So, we're now at this place where everyone is split.

Now we have the recent performances of Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, and Burrow this postseason. Unless Russell's strategy has turned 180*, I can't imagine this sitting well. Russell is 1 more bad season away from the NFL media only bringing his name up when discussing the top 15 QBs in the league or during where are they now segments.

I'm ready for Russell to go because all of this has pushed Russell into trying to be the hero. He's been forcing it for 2 seasons now, on and off the field. Unless he has an epiphany, I think it's going to continue. This is of course my read on things as they've unfolded since that contract negotiation and the start of his persona shifting into Mr. Unlimited

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you have a top QB or an emerging star QB ready to turn into a top QB, then you have an opportunity for post-season success. And you have the opportunity for consistent post-season attempts.

If you don't, then you really don't have that opportunity.

(The 49ers are an outlier, with several unique circumstances, that make it difficult to replicate their success. )

So you either think Carroll can be as good a gameday coach (and build an equal roster) to SF in under 5 years, or you believe JS is some QB whisperer that can find the next great, like he seemed to beeline on Mahomes and Allen.

(Or maybe you just want Wilson gone because you want to see him succeed somewhere else.)

But if you don't have a top QB you don't have much chance. So there better be some kind of replacement plan if you get rid of him....or we go from being a team that matters, to one of the ones that doesn't really (Ask the Titans and Browns about this)

toffee

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1r8a1uot said:
Russell changed for the worse when Mahomes broke out his first year starting. Same general time when the NY/Ciara contract negotiation tactics first started. You can see how badly Russell wanted to best Mahomes in that regular season matchup back then. He was amped. Russell was essentially the heir apparent to Brady, Brees, Roger's as THE GUY in the league once those guys withered away.

Then Lamar shows out for an MVP and it's all Mahomes/Lamar talk as the future of the NFL. Russell starts chirping a obout needing more super star players in the offseason. FF a couple years, Mahomes has a SB in the pocket to equal Russ. Roger's, Brady still making conference championship games along with the up and coming media darling QBs of Burrow, Allen, and Herbert. Russell has to watch Brady win again and it pushes he and his representation into desperation mode.

Russell is quickly moving towards afterthought status after a poor year, so his people spin the machine up to keep his name out there while continuing to cultivate the narrative that PC and everyone else attached to Seattle is the reason the team and Russell haven't performed well into the postseason. It almost worked perfectly. The only problem is Russell got hurt and played average when he was healthy. So, we're now at this place where everyone is split.

Now we have the recent performances of Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, and Burrow this postseason. Unless Russell's strategy has turned 180*, I can't imagine this sitting well. Russell is 1 more bad season away from the NFL media only bringing his name up when discussing the top 15 QBs in the league or during where are they now segments.

I'm ready for Russell to go because all of this has pushed Russell into trying to be the hero. He's been forcing it for 2 seasons now, on and off the field. Unless he has an epiphany, I think it's going to continue. This is of course my read on things as they've unfolded since that contract negotiation and the start of his persona shifting into Mr. Unlimited

So in your opinion, the best thing for Russ to do is to willingly go back to playing Peteball, but the game manager. He could also take a paycut to help the team recruit some much needed help?

Did I get you right?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Heard a bit on the radio tonight talking about Aaron Rodgers. He is 7-9 in the playoffs since his Super Bowl win. Commentator mentioned that Rodgers might be too “safe” which has lead his team to under preform. It’s especially critical when teams have to play at maximum level against the league’s best teams (during the playoffs). Is Russ too safe until he is required to cut it loose?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Want? Stay. Absolutely.

But I'm not hopeful. I think we're probably looking at a couple of trades in the next couple of months. One for a vet QB, and one for a haul of picks.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One thing of interest to me yesterday was the talk of Sean Peyton not coming back to the Saints. It caught my interest cause that was one of Russ's teams of choice last year and I could see him wanting to play for an offensive coach like them. IMO the Saints and Broncos were front-runners if anything did go down. But with no Peyton I see the Saints as off the table.

One thing with Russ....I don't know if it's just a sound byte, re his "wanting to be the best ever" or if he really believes it. If he does, he needs to let that go. He's in his 30s and Brady is 6 rings ahead of him. That ship has sailed. He's also not going to put up the kind of numbers that guys before him like Marino / Rodgers have put up. He just need to worry about his own performance and maximizing it.

If he goes this is a middling franchise to me for the next little while. Sure you could get to the final 4 with a great team around a guy like Jimmy G. I think that's the exception and what we saw out of Tannehill in a big game is more the norm.

LTH

Reaction score
I personally do NOT believe the relationship between Pete Carroll and RW has gotten to the point that they can not work together for a championship run. I think there could be issues but I also think those issues will be worked out ...there is evidence in that the last 2-3 games. I say keep Wilson if Carroll thinks he has the issues under control and they can progress towards the organizational goals.

If not then they need to draft or find a QB this year. Wilson isn't going anywhere for at least one more year because of his contract. I think the tell tail sign is going to be what happens in the draft and FA. If they draft a QB in an early round this year it means they are worried about losing him...

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Aros":ryv3smr9 said:
I am of the belief that Russ still has plenty to offer us as a Franchise QB assuming he can work within the system designed to maximize his potential. But regardless of nuances, let's just get down to brass tacks. Do you want Russell to stay or do you want to trade him?

I just can't answer that without the compensation details.

It'd take an undeniably good offer that pays this franchise through Russell's age 36 season.

I'm fine with not having a sure-fire quarterback year one. That's the position I trust JS to evaluate, 100%. But it can't be for free. It needs to be a real, good faith offer that pays big.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
toffee":h3mvk1mn said:
OrangeGravy":h3mvk1mn said:

So in your opinion, the best thing for Russ to do is to willingly go back to playing Peteball, but the game manager. He could also take a paycut to help the team recruit some much needed help?

Did I get you right?

I think best case scenario for the Seahawks and Russell, is if he's content playing the way we finished the year. If he is and we can finally have some good fortune at RB (lost a RB to season ending injury every year since Lynch retired) and o-line we have a legitimatel chance. Assuming the D isn't a disaster.

I just don't trust that Russell will truly commit to it, so I personally would move on if you get a fair deal. If not, there's no point taking a loss to dump him, yet.

balakoth

Reaction score
I'm on the logical 52 percent side

While we got half this board watching play off games with teams with better o line and better SCHEMES to counter act game plans

QB was never the issue, and people trying to point to this last week.. don't watch football, or just like being next level toxic (no idea what they are talking about to make a point)

Our QB threw for more TDs than 4 Playoff QBs while missing 3 games and 2 come back games.

They value the QBs measure while not, taking into account scheme, play calling and OL

Why is PM top at 2 high? BECAUSE THE COACH CALLS THE PLAYS. PM doesn't ? Oh wait you cant look that up in fair measure as news media dictates ONE to TWO plays where he audible and it worked. All 22s show something people won't talk about.. but again dont watch and half wing couch coach comment on.

I love my hawks.. and if you guys want RW out.. then welcome back to the 90s.

Thinking RW is the problem assumes linear logic. Way to go.

Do I like everything he does... nope... bad decisions? Yep.. but so does every QB. Some of you sound like the Detroit fans, while this friggen QB is in the NFC Champ game... Oh the intelligence.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That literally makes no sense Orange.

Why would Wilson commit to anything?

He is the valuable one here.

If he stays we stay relevant, if he leaves we no longer matter (as a potential playoff team)

He is going to succeed wherever he goes, because all he has to do is go to a team that is well situated that needs a QB. (Look at Stafford, Brady, etc.). It isn't as if there would not be takers.

He doesn't need the team. The team needs him. His rules. Or he can play out the string and go elsewhere to resurrect his career.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If he leaves, we're gonna be a 2 win team permanently, unless a new high-caliber qb is part of the deal. His salary is meaningless. We have lots of cap space, but aren't spending it. Replacing Russ could take a decade, or more. Without a new qb as part of the deal we're Detroit.

chris98251

Reaction score
First I trust Johns QB evaluation, secondly I think we lose Russell if not this coming season after and we may as well get loaded up based on his value. John looked at and wanted Tannehill, Mahomes, Allen, and Wilson.

We can reset with a good chance of finding another QB under John if his evaluation level stays on point.

We I think will have a QB that has more normalized size and possibly of the mobile nature of all those above, this will allow a OC to run an offense more typical using all points of the field on time, we will be able to afford F.A's of need, and have some draft capital.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jogtknz said:

If he stays we stay relevant, if he leaves we no longer matter (as a potential playoff team)

He is going to succeed wherever he goes, because all he has to do is go to a team that is well situated that needs a QB. (Look at Stafford, Brady, etc.). It isn't as if there would not be takers.

He doesn't need the team. The team needs him. His rules. Or he can play out the string and go elsewhere to resurrect his career.
He can't just leave even if he wants to. Sure he can play out the string, but he'll be 2 years older with 2 more seasons of mileage. Every year that goes by with him playing average, other teams will feel less certain that they NEED him.

YOU think he's gonna succeed wherever he goes, I don't. I think he'll do no better than he has here the last 5 years unless he ends up on a team like SF that runs the ball well and has that D. All of what you say makes sense if you think Russell is what you think he is. It doesn't if you don't.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's rich, a Niner fan coming in here telling us he wants Russ to stay in Seattle. Sure you do.
I wonder if you actually realize that Russ has won 16 of the last 20 over Santa Clara.
Meanwhile, pretty boy is doing next to nothing. That team wins on Defense and the running game, period.
I'm glad that I know plenty of Niner fans who actually get it, and have made it very known they want him gone because they are tired of losing to him. Why? Because they actually understand football.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Here's the real question. Can we envision Russ playing equal to or better than Mahomes or Allen like we saw in their game the other day? Because that's the level of play required to win the big one. If Russ is still that guy, fine, keep him. If not, it's time to move on while he still has value.

NJlargent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1s9w17a9 said:

Twisted

I read your posts and agree with most of what you write. My sense from your posts is that you believe under PC we will never be anything above a team that gets trounced in the divisional round.

I would think that you would be on board with trading Russell. I say that only because PC is here at least next year, but I really believe he will serve out all 5 years regardless of our record. While I think we only remain relevant if Wilson stays, I also am concerned about saddling a new staff in 4 years with a mess both talent wise and financially. For long-term planning, I would have to think that trading Wilson and freeing up some room for the future is the way to go. Especially now that our division is stacked and we are riding out status quo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said before Pete was retained that if Pete's back, I want Russell traded so he can Pete Ball with another elite defense and run game.

Living in this middle ground of trying to Pete Ball and keep a cranky QB happy who doesn't like the offense not going through him isn't working, and hasn't for a long time.

Add in the fact that IMO Russell has peaked as an NFL QB, now's the time to maximize his trade value. Not after another 2-3 season like we just saw in 2021 with more injuries and an even slower Russell not being able to do the things than make him Elite.

Hawknight

Reaction score
First of all, I love having Wilson as our QB. Forever grateful for the Super Bowl win he gave to us (Thanks to Carroll too by the way) BUT I think the days of Carroll and Wilson being the dynamic duo has come and gone. I know Russ wants to open things up and air it out, but I sense that Carroll wants to run the ball more. It seems as Wilson and Carrol have the same goals but different visions how to reach that goal. I sense the two don't mutually agree and this is perhaps why Russ tends to hint at possibly being somewhere else (hence rumors of last season) even with all the smoke and mirrors of Russ wishing to end his career with the Seahawks. Facts are, Wilsons over 30, lost a step or two, still can be trouble at times but doesn't quite scramble like he once did. However; I love Seahawks football with no matter who is front and center of this team, so if it means letting Russ walk to see what the new chapter in Seahawks football leaves us, so be it. I've survived many years of losing seasons and still enjoyed the game. Forever a Seahawk fan here. I actually miss being the underdogs going up against the mightest of teams and sometimes even miss those days at time. We've been spoiled far too long with success and by that it shows with some of the fans. So all in all, I am in favor of letting Russ leave, especially if he's in search of finding a team which can enhance whatever dreams he has of being an all time great QB, I fully support it and will not think less of him, he's earned it. But only Russ know's deep down of where he wants to be in this period of his career. BUT, if his hearts not entirely with this team anymore, let him find what suits him best and we'll move on as well. Seahawks football will go on and I'll be excited to wait to see what the future holds for this team. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.