Linebackers . . . 3 to keep an eye on

xgeoff

Reaction score
firebee":2dbzflbu said:
McGruff":2dbzflbu said:
xgeoff":2dbzflbu said:
Aaron Curry was good for a while. And nothing is 100%. Archie Griffin won two heismans. Was terrible in the NFL. I'd go with game film over measurables any day of the week though.

I'd go with both. JMO, but game film indicates the floor of a player, but measurables indicate potential ceiling. You've got to have both working hand in hand.

I think you use measurables to gauge what you saw on film and get a comparison on players with similar measurables and abilities. A lot of the measurables at the combine give false impressions though. Sure some guy runs a 4.4 and the other runs a 4.5 until they get pads on and then the 4.5 guy is leaving the 4.4 guy in the dust on downfield routes or the guy with the 40 inch vertical is getting outplayed on the ball by a guy with a 36 inch vertical. I value play over measurable tests because measurables don't tell you have fast a player reacts, how they carry pads or what kind of coordination they have in regards to motion, hand-eye, balance, targets in motion, etc. Pretty much, measurables are good for determining who might be a better athlete between guys that have similar abilities, traits and styles.

So this is a really good point, which is that some guys perform vastly different in pads. I feel that a lot of guys who run fast at the combine don't have 'game speed'. It's the pads, and it's also doing athletic moves when you're surrounded by huge guys in helmets and pads trying to lay you out.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2m5nb2r4 said:
Aaron Curry had great game film. Just sayin'.

I disagreed then, I disagree now. Curry is a bad example, he was a classic hype job and Tim Ruskell fell for it. I get your point though- lots of players look great in college but fizzle in the NFL for various reasons. That's why the scouting process exists.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":2j1kitf0 said:
With Feeney, he just had the combine performance of a high first round pick, but his on field performance was more day 3 territory. He was a good but not great player. But would he fit the Irvin role? Like a glove. Medicals will be interesting. I had previously thought that Feeney to Seattle in UDFA was a shoe-in, but after he destroyed the combine he'll probably end up a mid-round pick, barring the status of his medical.

Great analysis on Feeney. I knew he was going to light this combine up. He's got that basketball-type body and athleticism. He just never had the production to match. After a very promising freshman year, he just never made an impact. He was never good enough to be a real every-down starter at LB, and ultimately got moved when we got better LB talent this year. He's a little soft. I agree that his best fit would seemingly be in that SAM role on one of the 4-3 under teams, but is it possible that he would be better off the line of scrimmage in space? I don't know that I'd want him responsible for setting the edge for me. He would be really good as a 4th OLB and maybe like a nickel LB, but his combine is going to have some team reaching for him, where I think he ultimately disappoints.

Again, totally agree on Curry. I HATED, HATED that pick. I wanted Raji or Crabtree. I thought I was the only one.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":llsht4p1 said:
Again, totally agree on Curry. I HATED, HATED that pick. I wanted Raji or Crabtree. I thought I was the only one.

English, Snohomie, and myself were livid when the pick happened. But yeah, as pissed off as we were, we were definitely in the minority. I was probably the only person at fieldgulls at the time that didn't love the pick. But fieldgulls is kind of like that, the herd mentality is strong there.

As far as the alternatives, I wanted Crabtree (and Sanchez).

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":27anz1b4 said:
Tical21":27anz1b4 said:

English, Snohomie, and myself were livid when the pick happened. But yeah, as pissed off as we were, we were definitely in the minority. I was probably the only person at fieldgulls at the time that didn't love the pick. But fieldgulls is kind of like that, the herd mentality is strong there.

I wanted Sanchez . . . So, um , yeah.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":sw3ipxew said:
kearly":sw3ipxew said:
Tical21":sw3ipxew said:

Me too. I also liked the 2013 QB class more than pretty much anyone else. I've learned a lot about QB evaluation the hard way.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":l3knjzex said:
kearly":l3knjzex said:
Tical21":l3knjzex said:

I didn't hate the player so much as how high he was picked. Curry in the 2nd round...he might've been ok without all that high round draft pick to live up to.

I remember the draft board here about Crabtree. I didn't want him then, and I'm glad we didn't get him. And yes, I'm guilty of wanting Sanchez. I wanted him badly to sit behind Hass for 2 years. I still honestly think if he would've learned behind Hass and gained some confidence, he'd have turned out a lot better. Honestly, Ryan just ruins QBs.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":3ikabwqs said:
I remember the draft board here about Crabtree. I didn't want him then, and I'm glad we didn't get him. And yes, I'm guilty of wanting Sanchez. I wanted him badly to sit behind Hass for 2 years. I still honestly think if he would've learned behind Hass and gained some confidence, he'd have turned out a lot better. Honestly, Ryan just ruins QBs.

That was what I wanted too. Two years to learn behind Hasselbeck. That was kind of the "in" thing to do in those days, given that Rodgers and Rivers had to wait before starting.