Looking ahead, which asst. coaches stay or go in 2016?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3iguftkc said:
I suspect all three remain.

With major, aggressive changes to the O-line.

I think something substantial happens at corner too.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Laloosh":34yzunr7 said:
Regarding your comments on Bevell. I think he and Russ have both made it difficult to decide who is more at fault depending on the game.

This season it seems like Russ falls flat when we need him most. He's been baited into rushing up the middle only to be sacked at or behind the LOS. He has given up on pockets early (though I don't really blame the guy given the pounding he takes) and he's missed some fairly easy throws that he used to hit.

Bevell's play calling veers from idiotic to respectable from game to game (and even in the games themselves). Just feels like he's calling plays like he's got an offensive line that can block. I don't know if he and Cable are butting heads and he's highlighting the fact that Cable can't get his guys to block or if he's just too stupid to go to a quick passing game until they learn to block or find better linemen. Some of that will require some mistakes on Wilson's part because it's a new offensive style and new plays but I'd prefer that over watching 6-8 sacks per game and the occasional 40 yard chunk play.

The Seahawks HAVE gone to a quick passing game...Russell isn't getting rid of the ball because the receivers aren't WIDE OPEN quick. Russell needs receivers that can offer mismatches and then Russell needs to exploit those mismatches. That will be difficult because all the Seahawks receivers are basically the same and none of them offer any kind of mismatch.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawks46":5ssh0cwe said:
So, is it Cable's fault, or the FO for getting a bit cute (or cheap) and it not working out ?

It's a strange feeling for me to think that JS let Tom/Pete talk him into this crap with the OL but who knows. I'd really be interested to know who spit balled this one before they all went, "hey, now there's an idea!".

Laloosh

Reaction score
rideaducati":4map09y3 said:
The Seahawks HAVE gone to a quick passing game...Russell isn't getting rid of the ball because the receivers aren't WIDE OPEN quick. Russell needs receivers that can offer mismatches and then Russell needs to exploit those mismatches. That will be difficult because all the Seahawks receivers are basically the same and none of them offer any kind of mismatch.

One game in 10 is not exactly a pattern or a commitment to it. We can debate this in another thread if you like but let's not derail this one.

Tical21

Reaction score
At this point in his tenure, I think Pete has too much pride in what he's built to fire coaches. That would mean he has doubts and admits at least some small failures, and partially tarnishes the legacy he has built in terms of developing his tree. Any coach that wants to be will be here as they want to be.

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":2lfvzh5s said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2lfvzh5s said:

If the current rosters can be used as a signal, then something substantial is already in the works. Farmer and Reed are on the practice squad. Seisay and Simon are on injured reserve. While .... the weighted importance of the 42 nickle continues to grow.

With regards to the O-line, the rebuild has already begun as signaled by Cable's "starting over" comments. As a case in point, Gilliam has been an interesting deviation from the Carpenter/Britt approach. The priority choice has been between run blocking or pass blocking. Similar trade offs exist at other positions as well. Carroll and Scheider, along with Cable, continue to look for options. With so many NFL offensive lines struggling with similar trade offs, they will simply have to persevere with their efforts to address those challenges and develop solutions.

If NFL teams did a better job of trading among themselves for better fit, the league might have quicker success reloading and more success maintaining year to year play. :229031_shrug: Wishful thinking I suppose.

kf3339

Reaction score
The only way I can see any coaches leave is if they are recruited by another team and feel their days are numbered with the Hawks. This is because Pete Carroll is too stubborn to admit his offense is crap and the offensive coaches are heavily to blame for this mess. We are going to be living with Cable and Bevell another season at least.

Is their any chance this will not be the case?

ONLY IF PAUL ALLEN sees what is so obvious and forces Pete Carroll's hand to make changes for both Cable and Bevell. Will this happen? Doubtful.

Pete Carroll will demand a continuation of his power and Paul Allen will back down. Personally, I think Paul Allen should force a decision from PC that either those coaches go, or he does. That is what I would do in this case.

This last few years and especially this seasons offense has been pathetic in so many ways. Qualified analysts, commentators, opposing team coaches, fans, players families, players reps, and finally I bet even God if he watches can see just how pathetic we look on that side of the ball.

So my coach to go if he wants nothing to change is PETE CARROL.

I think we could get a really good HC that could quickly take this talented of a team and right the ship fast. This is now a premium job and the line would be very long. This should be pointed out to PC, just in case he thinks the team has no other options.

BECAUSE, IF NEEDED THEY DO!

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ I don't think Paul would do anything to force Pete's hand right now.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would like if they kept Cable but minimize his duties.

For instance this would be my most optimal set-up on Offense:

Tom Cable: Running Game Coordinator, Offensive Line: Run Blocking Coach, Assistant HC

Joe Philbin: Passing Game Coordinator, Offensive Line: Pass Blocking Coach

Then if fired after this season:

Mike McCoy: Chief Offensive Coordinator, Primary QB coach (exclusive to Wilson)

Cable and Philbin would remain on the sidelines during games to coach their respective assignments with McCoy calling plays and directing from the booth for optimal viewpoint. McCoy being QB coach (exclusive to Wison) as well as OC is kind of killing two birds with one stone in advising and guiding Russell Wilson throughout the week of practice and through the game process.

Seahawks would then employ a Secondary QB coach that would work with the other QBs more as well as any one on one coaching with future developmental prospects.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":64bujcnv said:
theENGLISHseahawk":64bujcnv said:

I think they'll give Jeremy Lane every chance to win the starting job from Cary Williams between now and Jan. Either way, Williams to be gone for me.

kf3339

Reaction score
Laloosh":1d5resnj said:
^^ I don't think Paul would do anything to force Pete's hand right now.

I know that, but was stating my believe in what Paul Should do. Not what I think he will do at this point.

But realize how long he waited letting the team go from a SB team in 05 to the final mess that led to PC being hired. If he learned anything, then he should want to be more active this time. That's all.

He is the owner after all.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think we will be a wild card team so the coaches will look better at year's end, but my guess:

Bevell might leave for a raise to be OC or Asst HC on another team, but I doubt he gets fired. He will make the move if it helps align him with a possible HC job in the future. Really.

Sark gets hired as an offensive consultant, future OC. Maybe Pep Hamilton instead.

Cable might get hired away, like Bevell, but I seriously doubt there will be a firing. Could be a surprise HC hire next year.

Richard stays, future HC material.

Might shuffle some position coaches around. Any more Carroll boys?

I predict we do get a new QB coach for Russ. Maybe Sark's new role.

That's all - one more push to chase a championship in 2016/17 before making more substantial changes.

OrFan

Reaction score
The only one of the three main ones I see gone is................BEVELL!

Pete finally wakes up and sees this loser for what he is. He will not become a head coach anywhere else like our defensive coordinators have, others see what an idiot he is.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Continuity on a coaching staff just 1 year removed from back-to-back Super Bowls is a coveted thing, so I don't foresee any changes to Bevell or Cable's job. As there shouldn't be. These guys have proven they have what it takes to get the Hawks to the big game and they'll do it again.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3ox51na0 said:
kearly":3ox51na0 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3ox51na0 said:

I think they'll give Jeremy Lane every chance to win the starting job from Cary Williams between now and Jan. Either way, Williams to be gone for me.
Agree completely and I think Lane does.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Bevell is gone. He got his red zone threat, and is publicly laying the red zone failures on Russ now. The team is married to Russ for big money. Bevell, not big money.

He gone.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but there's something in Carroll's makeup and experience that precludes him from jettisoning coaches under him. Other than Bates, I don't recall any of the higher ups being fired by PC. How many did he ever fire at Southern Cal? His loyalty to coaches knows no bounds but his competition mantra evidently only applies to expendable players.

In baseball if the offense is struggling, the hitting coach is the first to go. In the NBA, making it to the conference finals 5 months ago doesn't guarantee even the head coach's job if you're off to a disappointing start. For the Seahawks, I really can't envision Carroll terminating anyone, no matter what happens the rest of the season. With all of his qualities and success, Carroll seemingly succumbs to tunnel vision and an apparent refusal to change his philosophies or support staff carrying out such philosophies. It's as if he sees his tenure with the Hawks as a presidential administration and wants the same cabinet and advisors through thick and thin, no matter what policy they're recommending or carrying out. Only if Cable and Bevell are offered higher paid gigs elsewhere will they leave. Richard isn't going anywhere either.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":347djrus said:
I think Bevell is gone. He got his red zone threat, and is publicly laying the red zone failures on Russ now. The team is married to Russ for big money. Bevell, not big money.

He gone.
Goofy. Like how you take a benign comment and twist is into vindictiveness. Bevell never said anything close to what you say here, unless your source is TMZ. Re-up Bevell!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1evdpnzv said:
Scottemojo":1evdpnzv said:

He gone.
Goofy. Like how you take a benign comment and twist is into vindictiveness. Bevell never said anything close to what you say here, unless your source is TMZ. Re-up Bevell!
Question is still out there, who is more important to the future of the Seahawks, Bevell or Wilson?

Still waiting.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1vbblu79 said:
Scottemojo":1vbblu79 said:

He gone.
Please don't.