Looking ahead, which asst. coaches stay or go in 2016?

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ih4y1cq said:
Hasselbeck":1ih4y1cq said:
Siouxhawk":1ih4y1cq said:
Ok, that's your opinion and I thank you for that.
Bringing up Pete, yeah he's the only one that matters when it comes to deciding the fates of the Hawks staff as the question this thread initially posed.
I prefer to think that Pete sees Bevell as part of the solution in restoring the Hawks to a level of prominence. Pete doesn't make the kind of knee-jerk and unfounded decisions that so-called experts make on the internet. He sees the whole picture. He understands the difficulty it takes to make a play operate when your offensive line is crumbling. He sees the cyclical shortcomings of a defense that this franchise has made as its leaning point with Paul Allen's money. He sees the behind-the-scenes daily work that Bevell is putting in with Wilson, helping him transition to a multi-dimensional threat who theoretically can depend on his line to give him a pocket.
It's just my opinion, but I see Pete as never giving it a second thought that Bev is his OC today and tomorrow.

This is Bevell's 4th year running the offense and I would argue it has steadily gotten worse the longer he has been here. Wilson hasn't shown any signs of progressing to the next level as a passer, that's largely on Bevell. The offense is laughably bad inside the red zone, even with Jimmy Graham added into the mix. That's largely on Bevell. The play calling still forgets about the running game for large chunks of game play, that's largely on Bevell. The offense seems to start every game like trying to start a car in 5th gear after its sat in freezing temperatures for a month... that's largely on Bevell.

When seasons go bad, the ones that face the immediate scrutiny whether it is fair or unfair are usually the coordinators. Darrell Bevell entered this season when his last play call of the year was the most scrutinized and in my opinion, dumbest play call in the history of the NFL. His rope was mighty short to begin with.. and this locker room has been fractured ever since that call. Whether or not you want to agree with that is on you, but I don't think there is any question that every player in that locker room that was a member of the 2014 team wonders "what if?" had Bevell gave the ball to Lynch at the 1 instead of calling a slant pass.

Now the subtle shots at Wilson (which may be accurate but probably shouldn't be said) coupled with Bevell throwing Lockette under the bus immediately after the Super Bowl loss.. and this performance this season.. and I see no way he returns in 2016 barring this offense catching FIRE in a hurry.

The reality is the offense only worked because of Wilson and Lynch, and that with an oline ranked 22nd. Now that the oline is ranked 32nd and is the worse in football, and lynch ahs been hurt, rather than making adjustments, he just throws the QB under the bus. Rodgers has played like crap the last 2 games or so since his oline went down hill form top 15 to top 20) yet no one throws him under the bus. Luck played bad all year and no coach threw him under the bus. RG3 is the last QB I heard a coach throw under the bus and that was after RG3 threw his teammate sunder the bus, Wilson has never done that. What Bevel and Cable did was pathetic. I believe there are going to be some big changes this off season, not sure if it will be coaches or players. I am not sure Wilson and Bevel can both be here anymore given what Bevel just did.
Leads one to speculate as to who the QB will be next year.

hawk45

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2o6k76fq said:
I was on board with Cable and the development I was witnessing from a very green OL, until the musical chairs began at center. I don't believe that has helped the line develop cohesiveness or has helped Russell develop chemistry with the person who is supposed to be snapping the ball to him and making the protection calls. Under Carroll's offensive philosophy, everything is supposed to be geared toward making things easier for the QB. The musical chairs at center feels like Cable is straying from the team's philosophy and trying to save his own hide by making excuses for line's play, i.e. blaming the line's disjointedness on the Unger trade.
You were okay with Cable and the season killing decision to experiment with the entire line, but switching out Nowak was the final straw for you?
I actually agree that removing Nowak was a big WTF move since he'd been playing pretty well, although Lewis's experience with line calls may explain it.
But Cable's exhuberance for guys like Sweezy and Britt, his hubris around his project D linemen, his awful talent evaluation when he does get draft capital, compared to these things the Nowak head scratcher feels like deck chairs on the titanic. Just surprised that would be the act to sour you on him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkGA":e6whm97w said:
In fairness, I think that fake punt formation that somebody tried this year was the dumbest play in NFL history.

That happened in Week 6, not to win a Super Bowl

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":18pud0el said:
Rodgers has played like crap the last 2 games or so since his oline went down hill form top 15 to top 20) yet no one throws him under the bus. Luck played bad all year and no coach threw him under the bus. RG3 is the last QB I heard a coach throw under the bus and that was after RG3 threw his teammate sunder the bus, Wilson has never done that. What Bevel and Cable did was pathetic. I believe there are going to be some big changes this off season, not sure if it will be coaches or players. I am not sure Wilson and Bevel can both be here anymore given what Bevel just did.

And lets see..

Packer fans clamoring for McCarthy to take play-calling duties back.

The Colts fired Pep Hamilton.

The fact the Seahawks just gave Wilson a Top 4 salary means Bevell is not returning in 2016 barring some magical turn of events over these next 7 games. Quarterbacks and head coaches win out before offensive coordinators. There is way too much talent on the offensive side of the ball, even with the struggles on the OL, for the offense to be this miserable, this predictable, this inconsistent week after week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yes they are a NCAA team but watching the UW Huskies each week...they have a very young offense yet they show improvement week to week. They don't always win each week but there is a noticeable improvement in their play each week. Noticeable improvement each week is what I expect from a team that has been to past two Superbowls. But that's the thing that is missing from the Seahawks. This team continues to make the same boneheaded mistakes each week. That's why I believe it's on the coaches. Especially the coaches who oversee the offense. There hasn't been a significant improvement there from week 1 to now. They are still struggling with the same stuff they did in week 1. Red zone, OL, inconsistency, penalties, brainfarts each week, etc.