Looking forward - Free Agents next year

CANHawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2y7786qm said:
TheWalrus":2y7786qm said:
The one thing I know for sure is that Lynch is either going to be cut or do some major restructuring. No way they're going to let him count $9 million against the cap in 2015.

Not sure I agree with this. Your assuming that he either has an off year, or that Turbin and/or CMike become the featured back. At this point there is a pretty serious gap in talent between Lynch and the pretenders to his throne. A lot can happen in a year. Granted but like it or not Lynch (more or less) got us to that Superbowl. Who knows maybe by that time AP decides to follow the exodus from Minnesota to Seattle in search of a ring?

I love Marshawn to death, but he turns 28 in April. Almost all backs hit a brick wall at 30, but start to slide at 29. The way Shawn plays, he has many many hard miles on those legs. They're not going to pay him that much that close to "the wall". We drafted CMike in preparation to Marshawn hitting the wall and I fully expect them to be ready to hand the reigns over to him by 2015.

If you're the type to get emotionally invested in players, better start steeling yourself now for 2014 being the final year of Marshawn in Seattle... It sucks, but i's just business. :(

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here we are concerning ourselves about something that may happen in the future, something we can only speculate about at this stage. I believe the FO knows who they'll likely keep or at least try to keep. That is then, and this is now and now I'm more concerned about who we are keeping now, or who may get renewed now if there is enough available cap. Further whether we can still acquire more talent to bolster the team for this season or afford to keep them going forward.

I'd also keep Sherm and of course Wilson over the others but I want to keep the others if they want to be kept. I'd like Melton to be signed now and am hopeful it will happen. He is a potentially huge defensive addition if he is healthy. If not him we might then sign Allen or another that makes the D even more imposing than it was last season.

So far, despite the losses the team still has the core of last year's team with only a few notable cuts or FA losses. Each of those lost represented a loss but each with perhaps 3 exceptions, Tate, Bryant, and Clemons were not the core of the team. You simply cannot pay everyone and must look at value to return. Of the 3 above mentioned the only guy it will hurt to replace or who isn't already here in one form or another is Tate. His loss to me bites more than the others.

This will all play out and I'm sure much debate will occur over the final roster for 2014. The 2015 roster at this stage seems rather remote.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What I wrote in the Melton vs Allen thread that kind of pertains to this thread:

Niether.

Give that money to the players who actually worked hard FOR THE SEAHAWKS the last 3-4 years that deserve it, in no particular order:

Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas
Doug Baldwin
Steven Hauschka
KJ Wright
Malcom Smith
Byron Maxwell

Actually this order is a pretty decent checklist if you put Hauschka at the top.

The only contract I like Melton at is 1 yr, 2.5 million. He likely won't be starting and it will take him half the year to get back into form. But he definately could have similar 2013 Clinton McDonald impact in the rotation.

I'd take Allen at 1 yr, 5 million. However, you're probably looking at a 3 year, 25 mil deal for him like 7.5, 10, 7.5 cap hits. He would definately be worth it. But these young guys need some love and a show of faith after the Seahawks jettisoned or watched a lot of leadership/moxie + ability walk away this off-season to new teams.

So do I want the team to sign Melton? No, how about re-signing Hauschka and extending Baldwin.

Do I want the team to sign Allen? No, how about extending Thomas and Sherman, and if you have a little left throw some love raises at Wright.

How about giving Okung a new extension?

How about giving Avril a new extension?

Yes? "Here's some big signing bonus plus quality contract boys... how about lowering some of your 2014 cap-hits by an accummaltive 4-5 million, so we can continue to spread the joy and wealth?

Hey Smith and Byron Maxwell... you guys haven't played as much as the other guys but you have shined in limited starts, here's a little cash incentive now, how about both signing on through 2015 for a fair amount of money and let's see where that takes us while you continue to build up your stock in our system."

Great Morale is the gateway to Great Success. Why continue to drain the coffers to fill the pockets of the the already rich, when those who have slaved for pennies are waiting for their silver and gold.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CANHawk":9nfvbg52 said:
Evil_Shenanigans":9nfvbg52 said:
TheWalrus":9nfvbg52 said:
The one thing I know for sure is that Lynch is either going to be cut or do some major restructuring. No way they're going to let him count $9 million against the cap in 2015.

Not sure I agree with this. Your assuming that he either has an off year, or that Turbin and/or CMike become the featured back. At this point there is a pretty serious gap in talent between Lynch and the pretenders to his throne. A lot can happen in a year. Granted but like it or not Lynch (more or less) got us to that Superbowl. Who knows maybe by that time AP decides to follow the exodus from Minnesota to Seattle in search of a ring?

I love Marshawn to death, but he turns 28 in April. Almost all backs hit a brick wall at 30, but start to slide at 29. The way Shawn plays, he has many many hard miles on those legs. They're not going to pay him that much that close to "the wall". We drafted CMike in preparation to Marshawn hitting the wall and I fully expect them to be ready to hand the reigns over to him by 2015.

If you're the type to get emotionally invested in players, better start steeling yourself now for 2014 being the final year of Marshawn in Seattle... It sucks, but i's just business. :(

Honestly, without M-Rob or Giacomini and considering that he was considering retiring after 2013, I think he'll retire after 2014.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TheWalrus":3o4dl2yc said:

Hey Walrus...Here I am trying to forget 1984 when Franco Harris showed up in a Seahawk uniform after he left the Steelers. It will be a shame for Marshawn to show up in another uniform in 2015.

enamel

Reaction score
Core = Earl Thomas and Russel Wilson

All others (including Sherman) depend on the market and balance of the team. This defense doesn't need the best CB in the league to function. It does need an all-pro safety. The offense doesn't even need Russell to function, but you don't let a franchise QB walk under any circumstances. Every other player should be weighed in terms of cost/benefit.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3gnvik9f said:
CANHawk":3gnvik9f said:
Evil_Shenanigans":3gnvik9f said:
TheWalrus":3gnvik9f said:

Honestly, without M-Rob or Giacomini and considering that he was considering retiring after 2013, I think he'll retire after 2014.

A very real possibility. I see Marshawn as being one of those guys who is ALL IN, all the time. Once he's not able to go at 100% all the time, I can't see him accepting a slow decline into mediocrity until nobody wants him anymore. I can totally see him going out on top. He clearly doesn't like all the interviews and crap, so he won't cling onto some need for attention.

Brahn

Reaction score
enamel":1h0lg930 said:

All others (including Sherman) depend on the market and balance of the team. This defense doesn't need the best CB in the league to function. It does need an all-pro safety. The offense doesn't even need Russell to function, but you don't let a franchise QB walk under any circumstances. Every other player should be weighed in terms of cost/benefit.

That is not a core, that is a pair =P

CANHawk

Reaction score
enamel":3exrqljk said:

AMEN!

I've been saying for a long time that Earl Thomas is the single most important player on this team and must be retained at all costs; he makes the defense do what it do. Russell is self explanatory.

I'd almost slate Russell Okung and Bobby Wagner into the core as well, but maybe the "B core" or "core-lite":

Okung more because of what he is as opposed to who he is. He's an elite pro bowl left tackle, and those come from two (maybe three) places; first 8 picks in the draft, for HUGE bucks in FA or a king's ransom in trade. Big Russ is already here and we already know him, so might as well keep him.

Wagner is kind of like the LB version of Earl; his range and ability to cover a relatively large space allows those around him to do what they do. I think he has a very unique skillset for his position and can't be replaced easily.

Everyone else could be considered a product of the system to one degree or another...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
enamel":2hqbtevi said:

I agree those are the top 2 guys that must be retained at all costs.