Luck just signed through 2021, 6 years, $140 million

NINEster

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":itnw9l2a said:
OkieHawk":itnw9l2a said:
I'm curious as to how much it's worth. The really funny thing is that they already have no protection for him, and this contract will inhibit that even more.
Correct. He's not Wilson he needs a good OL.

The Wilson has no good OL is a bit overstated.

Great run blocking OL. Hard to have dominant pass blocking at same time...very rare.

Combined with the zone read, Wilson has decent protection more often than not.

When he attempts to be like Dan Marino and throw it a bunch of times, his line is average but not terrible.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
What a contract. For the Colts's sake, Luck cannot ever have a season like 2015-16. I mean, ever again. #albatross

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2k2jd173 said:
Ryan Grigson is now a shoe in for NFL exec of the year.

Pretty amazing isn't it? In 2012 John Schneider was edged out by both Ryan Grigson and John ELway. What did those guys do to warrant the Exec of the year award? Grigson signed Andrew Luck with the #1 overall pick in the draft and Elway convinced Peyton Manning to sign in Denver.

John on the other hand drafted in the same year, Bruce Irvin who led all rookies in sacks, Bobbie Wagner who was in the running for rookie of the year and Russell Wilson with a 3rd round pick in the draft. Apparently much easier to accomplish than taking the most coveted QB in the draft when nobody else has a chance before you or signing the big FA QB when every GM in the league (including John Schneider) wanted to sign him.

Sorry for the thread derail but it is amazing to me the hype surrounding some Luck and the QB position. Even falling into landing these guys is viewed as praise worthy. Especially considering the popular belief the Colts tanked a full season so they could draft Luck.

Now 4 years later you would think it would be obvious to anyone paying attention that Luck has not proven he is other worldly but instead the hype has garnered him the largest contract in NFL history and people are lining up to justify it.

I can tell you this, I am glad the Seahawks are not in this situation. After 4 years you should unquestionably know whether your QB is worthy of the highest pay or not and not have to resort to blame or excuses to justify it and with Luck the only thing he has going for him so far is blame and excuses. Sorry but no thanks.

Noteworthy John also signed Jay Howard, Jeremy Lane and JR Sweezy in that same draft class. Somehow that haul still wasn't good enough to edge out drafting Luck or signing Manning. Unbelievable.

First of all, the exec of the year award is a crock. That much is known. It's very similar to a coach of the year award that either goes to the coach that took a crap team and got them to the playoffs or the coach of the team with the best record (a la Ron Rivera). It's a farce, I think that goes without saying. But picking this battle after Andrew Luck signed a contract is as stupid as Roland saying RG3 didn't deserve ROY because of his career after his rookie season. The two instances are not related at all to each other.

This is not a difficult formula to figure out. Andrew Luck is a franchise QB. I don't care what many people on this board will say, he's a franchise QB. And he's better than at least 2/3 of the league. That's just the way it is. When you are in that group of players and you hit the point in your contract where you're about to be a FA or get an extension, you're going to make a lot of money and almost always be the "highest paid" guy at your position until the next guy gets signed.

That's all this is. Luck is overpaid in terms of the percentage of cap he will eat up, but EVERY young QB is getting overpaid. It's the only option a team can take, given how hard it is to just find a GOOD quarterback - much less a franchise caliber player like Luck.

This is the same league that just saw Brock Osweiler get $18M a year and $37M guaranteed based off of a handful of very average games on a team with a loaded defense. QB is a premium position. Kirk Cousins is probably going to get 18-20M a year if he doesn't crap his pants in 2016. Is Kirk Cousins better than Cam/Brady/etc .. no, of course not, but this is the market now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NINEster":10lrcz3u said:
MizzouHawkGal":10lrcz3u said:
OkieHawk":10lrcz3u said:
I'm curious as to how much it's worth. The really funny thing is that they already have no protection for him, and this contract will inhibit that even more.

Great run blocking OL. Hard to have dominant pass blocking at same time...very rare.

When he attempts to be like Dan Marino and throw it a bunch of times, his line is average but not terrible.

Wilson's OL was miserable last season in large part because of the disaster at center. Once they found stability there, it wasn't as bad.. still not a good line by any stretch, but one that could give Russ ENOUGH pass protection to get by.

But I don't think it's overstating it when you say the OL is not good. It's bottom of the league. Unfortunately when you have a roster littered with star talent you have to cut back somewhere, and that somewhere for Seattle is the OL.

Where the Colts are in trouble is they do not have the savvy GM the Seahawks have. So Luck's salary becomes an even bigger thing to work around, especially when you can't draft and develop talent to save your life. Grigson is awful and I can't believe he somehow stuck around after last seasons disaster.

chris98251

Reaction score
Did he add the no shave neck beard clause in as well?

Everyone knew he would get paid, he didn't get paid that much more though. They can still be a team that just misses everything for a while still.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
If by "franchise quarterback" people actually mean "college quarterback who oddly gained a reputation as a great QB by handing off the ball to a great rushing attack (with skill and aplomb), and who then entered the NFL in a shit division and rose up as top turd only to fizzle out when things got real in the playoffs" then yes he is a franchise quarterback. Otherwise, Jim Irsay just demonstrated that he is still on the opioids+alcohol, and it will suck to be an Indy fan for the foreseeable future. But considering that they are in Indy for the same reasons that the Sonics are in OKC, no sympathy.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1zrixeiy said:
Overpaid? Probably. But what is Indy going to do? Let him walk? Trade him for a boatload of picks?

Everyone snickering about this needs to realize this is the market for franchise QB's. And yes, Andrew Luck is a franchise QB.

A blessing to Wilson being picked in the 3rd round is we were able to get a year jump on his extension .. especially considering Luck was about to get paid.

While true, maybe a reformat is exactly what the Colts need, not that they have the management at any level to have that insight.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35b6oqpp said:
NINEster":35b6oqpp said:
MizzouHawkGal":35b6oqpp said:
OkieHawk":35b6oqpp said:

Wilson's OL was miserable last season in large part because of the disaster at center. Once they found stability there, it wasn't as bad.. still not a good line by any stretch, but one that could give Russ ENOUGH pass protection to get by.

But I don't think it's overstating it when you say the OL is not good. It's bottom of the league. Unfortunately when you have a roster littered with star talent you have to cut back somewhere, and that somewhere for Seattle is the OL.

Where the Colts are in trouble is they do not have the savvy GM the Seahawks have. So Luck's salary becomes an even bigger thing to work around, especially when you can't draft and develop talent to save your life. Grigson is awful and I can't believe he somehow stuck around after last seasons disaster.

But...But...he was GM of the Year at one point!

A

Anonymous

I hear he has neck zits and the neck-beard hides them.

I'd rather look Amish too.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
not sure he has earned this but no way Indy lets him walk. Either way just glad we have Wilson.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35jjgy5y said:
Overpaid? Probably. But what is Indy going to do? Let him walk? Trade him for a boatload of picks?

Everyone snickering about this needs to realize this is the market for franchise QB's. And yes, Andrew Luck is a franchise QB.

A blessing to Wilson being picked in the 3rd round is we were able to get a year jump on his extension .. especially considering Luck was about to get paid.
I love how you made that comment about how you're sure some fun Andrew Luck posts will come out of this, while everyone knows you'll be one of the big contributors for it, and here you are already. :lol:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zg35yjx said:
Hasselbeck":1zg35yjx said:

I love how you made that comment about how you're sure some fun Andrew Luck posts will come out of this, while everyone knows you'll be one of the big contributors for it, and here you are already. :lol:
I said my piece but I definitely agree. It's well known that he's a huge Andrew Luck fan. I have no clue why given he threw 5 less touchdowns and something like 22 more interceptions then Wilson in less games and gets more money? Awesome. Yet everyone says his receivers are top shelf. Seriously?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Any award that Jerruh Jones wins (see exec of the year award for the 2014 season) is an award that has no merit, unless it's the worst GM award. If the guy didn't own the team he would have been 86'ed over a decade ago.

As for Luck, yes, he is severely over-rated. Don't believe it? .....look at his stats.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zd11hqk said:
Any award that Jerruh Jones wins (see exec of the year award for the 2014 season) is an award that has no merit, unless it's the worst GM award. If the guy didn't own the team he would have been 86'ed over a decade ago.

As for Luck, yes, he is severely over-rated. Don't believe it? .....look at his stats.

Just look at his PLAYOFF stats

AWAY

Ravens-0TD 1INT 59.8 QB rating

Pats 2TD 4INT 53 QB rating

Denver 2TD 2INT 76 QB rating

Pats 0TD 2INT 23 QB rating

HOME

Bengals 1TD 0INT 104 QB rating

KC 4TD 3INT 98.7 QB rating

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Also, the KC playoff game would have been way worse for them if literally half of the Chiefs team didn't leave the game due to injury in the first 17 seconds of the first quarter. (I'm being a bit facetious, but the bad luck the Chiefs had in that game was miraculously fortunate for Indy.)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I'm so glad things worked out the way they have for the Seahawks. If I were a Colts fan, the best I could come up with is, "Welp, we got the QB position locked down... I guess."

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2yqi7hn3 said:
Hasselbeck":2yqi7hn3 said:

Almost like I have to refute the inevitable posts from people like yourself. Weird.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He's a good quarterback right at Joe Flacco level maybe a bit better. Thing is he's not worth 25M under any circumstances. I'd say only Aaron Rodgers is worth that kind of money.