Luck just signed through 2021, 6 years, $140 million

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3tvrij1n said:
He's a good quarterback right at Joe Flacco level maybe a bit better. Thing is he's not worth 25M under any circumstances.

I know .Net is down on Luck (seemingly because of Wilson, which seems a bit fragile) but he is worth whatever the Colts felt they needed to pay him. What Wilson or Rodgers or any other QB costs their respective teams is only comparable to a general market. I'd image the Colts organization felt the additional 4-5 million per year was worth it over rebuilding again.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":17ktpmgf said:
He's a good quarterback right at Joe Flacco level maybe a bit better. Thing is he's not worth 25M under any circumstances. I'd say only Aaron Rodgers is worth that kind of money.

I don't think you understand how sports contracts work.

Luck got that salary because he was eligible for this deal when the cap is booming and the market has been set. If Rodgers were up for a new deal this year, guess what? He's your new highest paid guy.

Last year Russell Wilson's deal was bested in a manner of days by Philip Rivers. Richard Sherman was the highest paid corner for a week until Pat Peterson got his deal. This is how it works.. Don't be that person that equates salary to "hahahaha omg the Colts think he's better than Brady and Rodgers!"

No the Colts think Andrew Luck is their franchise guy and paid him accordingly so they're not letting him walk to a franchise that would pay Luck 30M a year. That's why.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":50yvcyfj said:
MizzouHawkGal":50yvcyfj said:
He's a good quarterback right at Joe Flacco level maybe a bit better. Thing is he's not worth 25M under any circumstances.

I know .Net is down on Luck (seemingly because of Wilson, which seems a bit fragile) but he is worth whatever the Colts felt they needed to pay him. What Wilson or Rodgers or any other QB costs their respective teams is only comparable to a general market. I'd image the Colts organization felt the additional 4-5 million per year was worth it over rebuilding again.
I understand your point but to pay him that and not give him the tools to succeed is criminally stupid especially given he needs at least a decent pass blocking OL unlike Wilson for real success.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":340ld8k3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":340ld8k3 said:
He's a good quarterback right at Joe Flacco level maybe a bit better. Thing is he's not worth 25M under any circumstances. I'd say only Aaron Rodgers is worth that kind of money.

Luck got that salary because he was eligible for this deal when the cap is booming and the market has been set. If Rodgers were up for a new deal this year, guess what? He's your new highest paid guy.

Last year Russell Wilson's deal was bested in a manner of days by Philip Rivers. Richard Sherman was the highest paid corner for a week until Pat Peterson got his deal. This is how it works.. Don't be that person that equates salary to "hahahaha omg the Colts think he's better than Brady and Rodgers!"

No the Colts think Andrew Luck is their franchise guy and paid him accordingly so they're not letting him walk to a franchise that would pay Luck 30M a year. That's why.
I understand exactly how it works and I know exactly what kind of pickle Indianapolis is in for the next 6 years because of it unless they start drafting lights out at least 2-3 years in that span. And there is no indication their GM has the chops to pull that off.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I get that.. I think they were stuck. I mean his "market" was what they paid. If he was Manning at 32 you could say "why bother." But Luck is still reaching his prime (if he ever truly does). They either had to pay him, figure out the roster after and hope for the best, or let him go and rebuild. After letting Manning go I'm not sure letting him go was an option.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":15zc8acf said:
I get that.. I think they were stuck. I mean his "market" was what they paid. If he was Manning at 32 you could say "why bother." But Luck is still reaching his prime (if he ever truly does). They either had to pay him, figure out the roster after and hope for the best, or let him go and rebuild. After letting Manning go I'm not sure letting him go was an option.
Can't disagree at all hence my previous post to Hasselbeck.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1burlkah said:
MizzouHawkGal":1burlkah said:

Bit condescending, no? Not sure anyone said the Colts were duped here.

The question is whether the Colts should have paid that much for a QB who may have the ceiling but hasn't stood up in the room yet (Metaphor... not my best. I'll try later) or let him walk and took that money and started over.

This question was asked of Wilson's contract negotiations on this board as well, despite him being far more successful and valuable to the fans here questioning it.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3mr30fs0 said:
Overpaid? Probably. But what is Indy going to do? Let him walk? Trade him for a boatload of picks?

Everyone snickering about this needs to realize this is the market for franchise QB's. And yes, Andrew Luck is a franchise QB.

A blessing to Wilson being picked in the 3rd round is we were able to get a year jump on his extension .. especially considering Luck was about to get paid.
Good point. Another bonus is we got to sign him before Luck, because the first of these contracts set the bar for the second.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3ui9eyho said:
I hear he has neck zits and the neck-beard hides them.

I'd rather look Amish too.
Believe me, nobody wants him shaving that neck beard.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Do people think this is basketball or something, where one player can dominate the game by themselves? I know QB is the most important position, but c'mon...there are 21 other starters and a slew of other contributors, all of which impact the QB.

Taking away the QB position altogether, where are the Colts better than the Seahawks? You could maybe, MAYBE now say WR...but Hilton and Baldwin both have similar contracts and similar production if you account for the offenses they play in. Is there any position where any Seahawk fan would trade straight up with the Colts?

Their OL is worse, RBs are worse, if you group WR and TE, theirs is worse. Obviously every position on defense is worse. Kicker and KR are even worse....punter might be a wash.

And the Seahawks have the best home field advantage in the NFL.

You don't think all those things help Wilson look better than Luck? How can you be so blind to this? Yes, the Colts play in a bad division, but according to most of you the Rams and 49ers suck. So it's really just the Cardinals that are good. I don't think playing one more good division opponent offsets the entire roster deficiency the Colts have compared to the Seahawks. Luck had one bad season....and he was given a lot more to deal with right away compared to Wilson...all of these things make a difference in how we perceive QBs.

Perception is the word - because you could all pull out stats that would back up that Wilson is the best QB in NFL history - but he is not even the best in the NFL currently. Stats are deceiving.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Maulbert":2hccct5e said:
I don't dismiss it when people think Luck is better than Wilson. I do, however, dismiss it when they refuse to admit that there is a conversation about it.

What's crazy is I finally backed off of my "Luck is definitely better than Wilson" tangent...I think if anything, they're on equal footing...but that's still with a projection of what I think Luck will accomplish or could accomplish on a better team.

Wilson has definitely accomplished far, far more thus far. It all comes down to personal opinion...no different than Steph Curry honestly. He had an incredible season, and had everyone saying he's the best in the NBA...but LeBron clearly showed that is not correct.

I see Wilson as Curry...bringing a new style of play to the sport and being really good - but also having a team and coaching staff that put him in the best possible situation, which makes him look better than he actually is.

If I was starting a team and needed to choose a QB, Wilson just wouldn't be that guy for me. If I had a strong roster in place and needed a solid player to play QB, I'd take Wilson.

But at this point I understand why people would choose Wilson.

What really gets me though, is the incessant bashing of Luck without realizing that Wilson has been put in the 2nd best situation a QB could be in (to Tom Brady), probably in NFL history. The only combination of running game and defense that matches what Wilson started his career with might be the 85 Bears.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by the contract at all. He's a highly respected young QB and this is the market for players like that.

The thing I'm not getting is people still seeing Luck as the new Messiah. Then his rookie campaign came along and while not bad it wasn't as good as you'd expect from such hype. He wasn't even the best rookie QB with his 0,54% completion percentage and 21-18 TD-INT ratio. Then 2013 and 2014 were more of the same where Luck performed alright but not on the level of an Elite QB. 2015 was horrible, disappointing early season performance followed up by a season ending injury.

Russell has been performing better in terms of stats (except total yardage since he throws a lot less) and accomplishments every single year. Meanwhile people are still saying Luck is better. That's weird.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3dpf9xb1 said:

At least Flacco balled out and got a ring..what has Luck ever done in the playoffs or in the regular season other than a Matt Stafford (2011) like season in 2014. Seriously Stafford had 41 TD and 5000+ yards in 2011 is he the next great thing?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1hmxkrub said:
Maulbert":1hmxkrub said:
I don't dismiss it when people think Luck is better than Wilson. I do, however, dismiss it when they refuse to admit that there is a conversation about it.

What's crazy is I finally backed off of my "Luck is definitely better than Wilson" tangent...I think if anything, they're on equal footing...but that's still with a projection of what I think Luck will accomplish or could accomplish on a better team.

Wilson has definitely accomplished far, far more thus far. It all comes down to personal opinion...no different than Steph Curry honestly. He had an incredible season, and had everyone saying he's the best in the NBA...but LeBron clearly showed that is not correct.

I see Wilson as Curry...bringing a new style of play to the sport and being really good - but also having a team and coaching staff that put him in the best possible situation, which makes him look better than he actually is.

If I was starting a team and needed to choose a QB, Wilson just wouldn't be that guy for me. If I had a strong roster in place and needed a solid player to play QB, I'd take Wilson.

But at this point I understand why people would choose Wilson.

What really gets me though, is the incessant bashing of Luck without realizing that Wilson has been put in the 2nd best situation a QB could be in (to Tom Brady), probably in NFL history. The only combination of running game and defense that matches what Wilson started his career with might be the 85 Bears.

Bullcrap Wilson was put into one of the best positions in the NFL when he was drafted...are you kidding me? They had JUST signed Flynn to a pretty good contract and were 7-9 with Tjack and were ALSO 7-9 the year before. He had to earn just being the Starter. Also for people talking about how the West is barely better than the AFC South...I do seem to recall the NFC West in the NFC Championship the last 5 years. 49ers in 11,12 and 3...us in 13 and 14, and the Cards last year. Heck since we made it in 05, there has been an NFC West team in the NFC Championship 8 times.

Why dont people knock Rodgers for getting to sit behind one of the best Qbs in the history of the NFL in Favre for years before he even had to start.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Ramfan128":rtxk0qep said:

This post is very underwhelming to say the least.

Wilson has been aided by a stout defense and a power running game. The Seahawks defense gives Wilson more possessions and the power running game also helps with TOP and slows the pace of the game.

However, it doesn't change the fact that his musical chair OL that moonlights as crowd control at the Gorge has been garbage at pass protection since Wilson has started for the Seahawks.

I don't blame you for having a shortsighted position though. Every time the Seahawks play the Rams, Wilson typically has a below average game because your dominant D-line cuts through our OL like butter and our OC likes to have long developing plays against the best DL's in the league.

It doesn't change the fact that the difference between Wilson and Luck is elusiveness. Wilson can escape pressure and avoid a pass rush better than any other QB in the League. Luck is athletic, however, he has average dodging ability. I would say the Colts O-line and Seahawks O-line are comparable. Wilson makes it work, Luck gets a lacerated kidney and an abdominal tear.

Wilson is the only QB in NFL history to have at least 4000 passing yards, 30 TD's and 500 rushing yards in a single season.

Andrew Luck beats Wilson in three categories:

1. Buffalo Bill (Silence of the Lambs) voice impersonation
2. Neck Beard growth
3. Hype

Wilson is better than Luck hands down, you can't find any stats to refute it and there isn't one QB I would take over him in the NFL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1ppn5zv0 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ppn5zv0 said:

At least Flacco balled out and got a ring..what has Luck ever done in the playoffs or in the regular season other than a Matt Stafford (2011) like season in 2014. Seriously Stafford had 41 TD and 5000+ yards in 2011 is he the next great thing?
It wasn't meant as a slight to Flacco the guy wins if half his team isn't out with injuries. I just think he isn't anywhere near the Brady, Rodgers, Rothliesburger level. While on the otherhand Wilson is scarily close to that level if not already there.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3pk29y81 said:
Hasselbeck":3pk29y81 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3pk29y81 said:

The question is whether the Colts should have paid that much for a QB who may have the ceiling but hasn't stood up in the room yet (Metaphor... not my best. I'll try later) or let him walk and took that money and started over.

This question was asked of Wilson's contract negotiations on this board as well, despite him being far more successful and valuable to the fans here questioning it.

And there is no owner in the league that would let Andrew Luck walk for nothing. There are what.. about 90-100 QB's in the league? How many of those are even serviceable? How many of those guys are good? We know how few are great/elite. Andrew Luck on his worst day is still a better QB than most.

So there was no question they had to pay Andrew Luck, just like there were no questions we had to pay Russell Wilson.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":x7kebcyo said:
I understand exactly how it works and I know exactly what kind of pickle Indianapolis is in for the next 6 years because of it unless they start drafting lights out at least 2-3 years in that span. And there is no indication their GM has the chops to pull that off.

This I agree fully with. The model of having a really highly paid QB only works if you are able to draft and develop talent. The Colts failed to do that when Luck was relatively cheap, now they're going to really need to step it up.

This is what makes John Schneider so damn good as well. We have a top heavy cap, but it works because we unearth very good players in the later rounds of the draft and in UDFA. Not only that, but they develop talent better than any team in the league.. its like the 90's Yankees with how well they find and mold their talent.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":19bpvnuy said:
Uncle Si":19bpvnuy said:
Hasselbeck":19bpvnuy said:
MizzouHawkGal":19bpvnuy said:

And there is no owner in the league that would let Andrew Luck walk for nothing. There are what.. about 90-100 QB's in the league? How many of those are even serviceable? How many of those guys are good? We know how few are great/elite. Andrew Luck on his worst day is still a better QB than most.

So there was no question they had to pay Andrew Luck, just like there were no questions we had to pay Russell Wilson.
I agree Hasselbeck, hence my laughter at how Indianapolis handled it even though they gave themselves an entire extra year to it get right. And they still did it the worst way they could have, all because of 2014 and the undeserved hype he's gotten from day one in this league. You understand in 14 less games he's thrown 22 more interceptions then Wilson and done nothing but worse in the playoffs? While Wilson is 7-3 in the playoffs and been to two Superbowls and winning one in the same span? While for the first time being allowed to put the team on his back last year like Luck and all he does is be the best quarterback in the NFL that includes Brady and Rodgers with offenses specifically built around them.

It'd be worse if not for that ridiculous injury plague Kansas City had in that 2014 playoff gave. That doesn't ever happen in a 100 years.