Lynch contract is a mistake.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Seriously I don't think that contract offer was done in good faith or at least not honest faith, I believe it was done to drive up the "importance" he is to our offense. I believe he will be traded to the Raiders but being as good as Schneider is he is going to make the price as high as possible before that happens. The seahawks do not like the way Marshawn is so hard to control and they want to showcase RW anyway, I cannot for the life of me come up with how this contract offer has anything to do with Marshawn staying here.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Tricky situation.

Wilson is clearly our leader for the next 10 years, so we pay him what we must.

Lynch, on the other hand, is the heartbeat of the team. He not only fires up the offense, but the defense as well. You can't measure his value just by his numbers. This is where it gets tricky. Lynch has back issues and some other health concerns, and at 28 years old he only has a couple of years left where he could be at his peak. I would love to sign him for 3 years at top dollar, but a five year deal is not wise.

If you don't sign Lynch, for whatever reason, our team's identity and morale will take a drastic hit, especially after yesterday's Super Bowl loss. We gotta keep him - and feed him!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
ManBunts":1f1pjcok said:
blazen2392":1f1pjcok said:
The drop off from lynch to our tandem will not be that drastic. Weve had games where he has been shut down completely and Russell pulled out wins for us. We have a Turbo and Cmike. The contract they are trying to offer lynch will make him the highest paid Rb in the nfl.

This logic doesn't work. The reason he gets shut down is because there's 8 or 9 in the box, which frees up RW to pick apart secondaries. Ask any team, you need a balanced attack. To that point, keep Lynch.
A run heavy offense is not a balanced attack. We are not the 49ers or Cowboys of yesteryear. Our offensive line is not great and our receivers are not even close to elite. The defense loads the box against Marshawn but on 3rd down not so much. Wilson can't pick apart defenses with so few opportunities.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Fanatics":ms4yilv4 said:
Seriously I don't think that contract offer was done in good faith or at least not honest faith, I believe it was done to drive up the "importance" he is to our offense. I believe he will be traded to the Raiders but being as good as Schneider is he is going to make the price as high as possible before that happens.

Just out of curiosity, would you trade Lynch to Oakland for their #1 pick?

gulliver

Reaction score
I admit I'm not a salary cap guy, but I was surprised at the news that we might pay him $10m next year.

So RW's gonna get a record payday, we're already paying Kam and Earl and Sherm big, we say we're gonna make Maxi a priority, we have Bennett and Avril, and we're going to make Marshawn one of the top-paid backs in the league?

Even if we can do that, it's unclear how we're going to get Russell any help. I love our guys, but we have no #1 receivers and barely a #2. Look how important it was to have Chris Matthews at 6'5" pick on that DB last night; imagine having 1 or 2 other guys like that.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":4vdkxeg1 said:
Fanatics":4vdkxeg1 said:
Seriously I don't think that contract offer was done in good faith or at least not honest faith, I believe it was done to drive up the "importance" he is to our offense. I believe he will be traded to the Raiders but being as good as Schneider is he is going to make the price as high as possible before that happens.

Just out of curiosity, would you trade Lynch to Oakland for their #1 pick?
I would for this reason, Lynch's running style usually cannot sustain a long career and he is already 28 with a bad back, so we might get another season or two out of him, I realistically cannot see him running much, or at least not looking like he does now, past 30. I would take the best WR on the board, have not studied them yet but right now based on the "experts" that seems to be Amari Cooper. It would be nice to give RW a top target to grow old with. But with that said based on how old Lynch is I believe we would probably receive a few picks but #4 overall, I don't think so. My thought was, if I am right, Schneider's offer might get us a round earlier or high 2nd draft pick in the mix. I would assume 3rd/4th, maybe 2nd but the GM in Oakland now seems a little tight with his picks.

If you ask me if I would take a 2nd and 3rd, yes I would because with the 31st and 36th pick, you can do damage and maybe even leapfrog the 49ers at 15 and steal the 2nd best WR in the draft. Although I would try to ride this train out with Marshawn if a 2nd round or better is not in the deal.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":qbmua41v said:
It is absolutely ridiculous to say they schemed their way into open guys all night. Our defensive line was in absolute shambles. You aren't going to beat anyone without putting pressure on the QB. The game changed when Avril got hurt. Coupled with missing Hill and Mebane, it was just too much to overcome.

Defensive Line Depth Chart

Bennett
Mebane (IR)
McDaniel
Avril (Out)
Williams
Hill (IR)
Marsh (IR)
Scofield
Scruggs (IR)
Williams (IR)

4 of your top 7 linemen were out. Depth was depleted. Cohen, Dobbs and even Tukuafu played significant reps, and weren't even on the team at mid season.

Rat

Reaction score
I love Lynch as much as anyone, but how many teams have given a RB a second big contract and it turned out to be a great decision?

RB is usually a place where you can get away spending less money. I'm OK moving on if our front office thinks it's for the best.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Madden curse, our LOB was injured, Pats played well and took advantage of it.

nepahawk

Reaction score
I trust PC/JS, they know more about the cap space and who they can sign.
I'm sure they have a plan laid out.

No one knows what Russ will be offered.
All the insiders say he'll be the top paid Qb in the league, but how do they know?
Maybe he will and then again maybe, he'll sign a cap friendly deal.
Thus allowing the team to sign the pieces around him.
Only time will tell but, like I said I have faith in the front office.

mikeak

Reaction score
ceej22":3agzva5l said:
blazen2392":3agzva5l said:
...we can't afford to pay him and wilson.

This is false. They have a projected $26 million in cap space. They'll free up $3 million if they cut Miller and they should considering his injury history. Mebane could also be cut for another $5.5 million. Lynch is already costing them $8.5 million in cap space next season so it's likely not going to increase all that much if any next year. 2016 is a different story and is hard to predict at this moment but a lot of dead cap space will be cleared ($7.2 mill for Harvin alone). Wilson will get paid but he can take a small cap hit next season.

Thank you - looked it up way to many times.

Our best guys are heavy hits against the cap next year and RW will be extension so light hit. We have room for next years hits and can give good contracts over 3-5 years and still be ok.

In addition the last two years have been way under predicted on cap by the whole NFL. Expecting the same

LTH

Reaction score
Tical21":hzn2sabr said:
You pay Lynch and find another running QB.

OH MY! REALLY? Im glad your not running this team... talk about a huge mistake...

LTH

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The year Lynch goes is the year our offense takes a major step back. If we can keep Lynch here a year or two more, you do it.

strohmin

Reaction score
You pay Lynch whatever he wants. Lynch still has at least 2 or 3 years left in him.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":191q80i7 said:
blazen2392":191q80i7 said:
The Game with NE has shown me that Great offensive schemes are the key to a great offense. They schemed their way past our defense.

Denver had the same scheme last year, use pick plays and shallow crossing routes to nickel and dime the ball downfield.

How come that didn't work? It's wasn't some brilliant scheme that beat us, we knew exactly what was coming. Injuries and lack of execution lost it on the defensive side.

IMO it is risky to give Lynch another extension, but it's even more risky to move forward without him. He is the heart and soul of this offense, and team. That all equals pay the man.

This. It was a good scheme, but nothing new. What killed us was the yac.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
The clowns that are saying get rid of lynch are the same clowns who will say get rid of Carroll next year when their brilliant idea of getting rid of lynch ends up...sucking.

Get rid of the best running back in football? Are you guys like fans of other teams pretending to be seahawk fans just to sabotage us from within?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
no way we get rid of lynch.. you guys saying so are idiotic... seriously.

Tical21

Reaction score
Lynch is gone. The nice interview he gave saying how this is a team sport was his message to other teams that he's a great guy and they should give him a bunch of money.

Latest posts