Lynch contract is a mistake.

camdawg

Reaction score
Tical21":28wkod3s said:
You pay Lynch and find another running QB.

Do you think the best version of Seneca Wallace could take this team to two Super Bowls and win one? I'll let you pick whether that's 2006 model Seneca, or 2008.

IMO, no way is the best version of Seneca good enough to take us to the heights we've reached. And we are not likely to do any better than that, searching for "another running quarterback".

You think Vince Young could lead this team to two Super Bowls? Won't find a better runner than him. Jake Locker?

Hell, I don't think Marcus Mariota leads this team to a Super Bowl in his first couple of seasons. Russell's a more accurate passer, and frankly, might even be a better runner too.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
You know, I would agree that re-signing Lynch would be bad if this was MLB, but this is the NFL where every contract is basically year to year. We had this conversation last year and Lynch kicked ass. I'm done doubting Lynch. His performance will tell us when he's done or he will. Either way, we'll know.

I want Lynch back, if he wants to play.

irocdave

Reaction score
I think the Hawks should pay Lynch, if he wants to come back. People questioning paying Lynch because he's going to be 28 and wont produce don't seem to have any problem just assuming RW will all of the sudden turn in to the best QB in the league just because he has a couple new receivers. That's about the same stretch as assuming Lynch will fold up and not be able to perform at or near the same level for another two years. The Lynch situation isn't the same as Alexander's, even though the timing with age is similar. Lynch has a much different running style than SA and has proven his running talent isn't only about speed. SA showed his hand before he got that contract and it was debated same as Lynch's at the time. Anyone remember Randy Johnson being traded from the Mariners, lots of similarities here.

Now, before a certain someone that likes to troll me hops in with his perception of what I'm saying, I say pay Wilson also. Not AR or Brady money, but close. More guarantied money as RW has proven he is trustworthy with his running and is smart about avoiding big hits. He's built like a mini tank and is tough as nails.

The D will suffer some but it's easier to hit on D players in lower rounds in the draft than QB's, running backs and solid O lineman. Besides, Pete and Co are great defensive coaches and the D goes in to lights out mode when the Hawks get up on a team. Not so much on offense. This team is more than capable of returning to the SB next year and hopefully wont let it slip through their fingers by one bad offensive play call like this year.

Rat

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":ul8sc6l9 said:
Just out of curiosity, would you trade Lynch to Oakland for their #1 pick?
Is this a joke? Why would Oakland do that?

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I agree that it is a mistake to resign Lynch and I said the same thing about Shaun Alexander after his MVP year. I love both players. But this is business. We have more urgent needs elsewhere, especially D-line where we are getting thin.

You can say it sends a bad message to the locker room, but making these kinds of cut throat cuts has not cost the Patriots any success. Belichick has kicked several popular players to the curb because he knew it was in the best interest of his club's long term success. With the money that Lynch wants we can get two more quality D-Line and add depth at WR.

Lynch has taken a beating. Elite halfbacks can fade fast, just as Alexander demonstrated. There is no guarantee that he will continue to play at an elite level much longer and his age augers a precipitous decline soon. No Beast Mode will mean adjusting the offense to feature other player strengths. He will be missed but other guys will step up.

So, even with an expanded salary cap that money would be better spent improving other areas of our team. Signing him to a big deal will really constrict our options and we could miss out on some Michael Bennett / Cliff Avril type bargains that helped us win in 2013.

crosfam

Reaction score
We can win with Lynch, and we can win with Turbin/Michael. But it is silly to let Lynch go, the path is easier with him. We DO need to rest him by playing the others a bit more. Turbin really showed something this year. And guaranteeing much more than 10-12 million would be a mistake, because he might have only a year or two left being so productive. I think Wilson's contract will allow for less next year for this very reason.

One more year for 10 million - I say yes. But if he goes, the sky is not falling.

Latest posts