Lynch is ‘leaning toward retirement,’ says Seahawks GM

Hawks46

Reaction score
I hate to say it because Lynch is my favorite playe right now, but after watching Rawls, this is probably a good thing.

Lynch coming back just creates too many questions: was he just knicked up last year, or is he in a decline ? How do you bring him back at 11 million after last year's performance ? Will he be ok with splitting reps with Rawls ?

I'm looking at a backfield of Rawls and Michael and suddenly feeling a hell of a lot better about Lynch moving on than I was before the season.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
While it sucks he will most likely be departing under less than optimal circumstances--injury riddled, 6 carry game--it's probably for the best. I think every Seahawks fan was praying for a post season run capped by another classic Beast Mode run, unfortunately it just didn't come.

If you don't get chills thinking about him raising the 12th man flag before the NFC Championship next year then you have something wrong with you.

dino26

Reaction score
I would like to see him retire a Seahawk but I got a feeling he goes to Cali and plays for the Raiders.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Regarding the team potentially recovering the prorated $5M of his signing bonus if Marshawn retires, that would be a HUGE pill for Marshawn to swallow because his signing bonus was $7.5M, for which he has already paid federal income taxes on... which likely left him with about $4.5M after taxes... so he would have to pay back more than he actually received (after taxes).

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2fc6jkce said:
Regarding the team potentially recovering the prorated $5M of his signing bonus if Marshawn retires, that would be a HUGE pill for Marshawn to swallow because his signing bonus was $7.5M, for which he has already paid federal income taxes on... which likely left him with about $4.5M after taxes... so he would have to pay back more than he actually received (after taxes).

I can't imagine it works that way.

sutz

Reaction score
The TV box on NWCN was reporting that Mama Lynch refuted the TMZ report that Marshawn was not resigning.

Hmmm. Interesting.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1oj95zdr said:
onanygivensunday":1oj95zdr said:

I can't imagine it works that way.
Why not?

Anyone here a CPA?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sutz":23to21ly said:
The TV box on NWCN was reporting that Mama Lynch refuted the TMZ report that Marshawn was not resigning.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Not resigning? Or not re-signing? Or not retiring?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've done amended tax returns before, I don't see why Lynch couldn't.

It ends up being a tax credit.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tq5qnds said:
I've done amended tax returns before, I don't see why Lynch couldn't.

It ends up being a tax credit.
That is correct.

Lynch would get back the money that he overpaid

Rocket

Reaction score
It isn't a credit, it's a deduction. big difference.
How it evens out depends on the other tax consequences of the second year.
Been there, bitten by it.

sutz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2en7ls7k said:
sutz":2en7ls7k said:

Hmmm. Interesting.

Not resigning? Or not re-signing? Or not retiring?
Oops. The gist was that the decision has not been made yet. TMZ jumped the gun a bit by reporting he 'still had gas in the tank' and wants to come back. So TMZ tried to dispute that he was retiring, and momma Lynch said not so fast, she said no such thing.

Basically it's still up in the air.