Lynch on Wilson

Ozzy

Reaction score

It’s more and more obvious Sherman and Baldwin are the outliers here. Lynch is super classy in regards to Wilson. Anyway interesting interview

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lynch probably wouldn't say a bad thing about Jeff Dahmer if asked. Seems like the type of guy that just lives life, avoids bs, and minds his own business. The fact he'd need to go through team3 to talk to 3 is really funny...who is this guy? Jay z?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
So Sherman, Baldwin, K.J. Wright, Duane Brown, DK Metcalf, and Tyler Lockett are the outliers, but the majority opinion is that of Lynch, the one guy you can find who has anything sympathetic to say about Wilson, and who states in the same interview that the best thing that ever happened to him was the Seahawks not giving him the ball at the goal line and instead putting it in Wilson's hands so he could lose the Super Bowl with an interception. Because of that, fans of every team recognize Lynch in a way they don't recognize even some Hall-of-Fame players and have something to say to him when they see him. Plus, this one ex-teammate with some sympathy for Wilson doesn't even have Wilson's direct contact info. Yikes.

How do you get that Sherman and Baldwin are "outliers" when so many ex-teammates of Wilson also don't like him, and when there's only one guy with anything even half-positive to say about him, and that guy says that he's more famous than getting in the Hall of Fame would make him because of the play on which Wilson delivered another title to the Patriots?

If those guys are the "outliers," where's the rest of the supposed majority? Why is Lynch the only one who has anything non-scathing to say publicly about Wilson?

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Where are you getting Brown, KJ, Metcalf, Lockett as being anywhere close to what Sherman has been saying? They have all defended Wilson multiple times. Lockett and DK are still very close friends with Russ. Brown even after the offensive line comment defended Russ. Please show me where any of the guys listed said anything remotely close to saying they don't like Russ. Lets see the proof.....

Russ is a little goofy, probably weird in those circles although being religious is fairly common so that isn't as weird as we may think it is.

Eamon696

Reaction score
I think the fact that Marshawn, of all the guys who could hold resentment towards Russ, doesn't is pretty notable - especially considering he was pretty complimentary and supportive of him here.

I think it should make it clear that the narrative that Russ was disliked by his teammates is definitely oversimplified.

Ultimately, its my hope that Russ, Sherm, all of these guys can come to a point of moving on from what happened during those final years in Seattle - and just come to appreciate how special that team was for the time they were together. RW, Lynch, the Defense, everyone had brilliance in that period and responsibility for getting the Hawks their SB victory

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well said Eamon696. I think it's at least oversimplified. Like literally everyone I'm sure some people liked him and some didn't. Just like some teammates liked Sherman and didn't. Not every personality is liked by every other.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you are a star running back on a team and knowing Wilsons work out and gathering of teammates for discussions and practices and you and your star RB don't have each others number? There was a rift.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I didn't get even a hint of a riff in Lynch there. They just aren't friends because their so different but he seemed to care about the dude and wants to see him succeed. That seemed fairly obvious on some levels.

sc85sis

Reaction score
So Sherman, Baldwin, K.J. Wright, Duane Brown, DK Metcalf, and Tyler Lockett are the outliers, but the majority opinion is that of Lynch, the one guy you can find who has anything sympathetic to say about Wilson, and who states in the same interview that the best thing that ever happened to him was the Seahawks not giving him the ball at the goal line and instead putting it in Wilson's hands so he could lose the Super Bowl with an interception. Because of that, fans of every team recognize Lynch in a way they don't recognize even some Hall-of-Fame players and have something to say to him when they see him. Plus, this one ex-teammate with some sympathy for Wilson doesn't even have Wilson's direct contact info. Yikes.

How do you get that Sherman and Baldwin are "outliers" when so many ex-teammates of Wilson also don't like him, and when there's only one guy with anything even half-positive to say about him, and that guy says that he's more famous than getting in the Hall of Fame would make him because of the play on which Wilson delivered another title to the Patriots?

If those guys are the "outliers," where's the rest of the supposed majority? Why is Lynch the only one who has anything non-scathing to say publicly about Wilson?
KJ has not said negative things about Russ. He said he loved Russ. He suggested Russ needs to be more aware of optics and stop talking about stuff besides football, but he's never said Russ is a bad teammate or anything like that.

cheese22

Reaction score
I think a big piece of the puzzle is that some of his teammates simply don't like the persona Russ shows. He's very corny, borderline Carlton Banks with a quiet hint of "I'm above you." Whether it's real or not, it's easy for me to see how that would bug some of his teammates.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
KJ has not said negative things about Russ. He said he loved Russ. He suggested Russ needs to be more aware of optics and stop talking about stuff besides football, but he's never said Russ is a bad teammate or anything like that.

When K.J. appeared on Sherm's podcast recently, he was in total agreement with Sherm about Wilson and the preferential treatment he got, and how that caused friction with the rest of the team. The headlines said Sherman and Wright "rip[ped]" Wilson.

Also, back in February, Wright had some things to say about how much Wilson was making and how that was affecting the team:

And since Wright was talking metaphorically about eating when talking about Wilson and the Seahawks in February, I now wonder if he was the anonymous Seahawks-player source in the 2018 Sports Illustrated story from Greg Bishop and Robert Klemko. That source said Carroll "protected" Wilson (totally consistent with what K.J. and Sherm said last week on Sherm's podcast) and that the rest of the Seahawks "hated" that. And that same player made an analogy to a pack of wolves and who gets to eat: "It’s as if Carroll sent his pack out to hunt but kept one wolf back, and that wolf still ate when the others returned with food." 😯
More from that same player, who may or may not be Wright:
"Any time he f--ked up, Pete would never say anything. Not in a team meeting, not publicly, never. If Russ had a terrible game, he would always talk about how resilient he was. We’re like, what the f--k are you talking about?"

That's pretty consistent with what K.J. and Sherm said on Sherm's podcast last week.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sherm is a child, surprised more people don't see it. He loves him some him.
After his confrontation with Jim Moore, then denying what he said when it was on camera, I lost all respect for him. One of those guys that always has to be right and can't admit when he's wrong.

Last edited:

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Where are you getting Brown, KJ, Metcalf, Lockett as being anywhere close to what Sherman has been saying? They have all defended Wilson multiple times. Lockett and DK are still very close friends with Russ. Brown even after the offensive line comment defended Russ. Please show me where any of the guys listed said anything remotely close to saying they don't like Russ. Lets see the proof.....

Russ is a little goofy, probably weird in those circles although being religious is fairly common so that isn't as weird as we may think it is.
Brown frustrated and angry at Russ here:

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brown frustrated and angry at Russ here:

Sure that happens all the time with teammates this isn’t something unique to Wilson. Brown has also come out defended Wilson after that event. Multiple times. Again the idea that teammates hate Wilson is way overblown.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Because of the hatred some here have developed for Russ they project this onto the team and everyone else they can. There are 2 players that seem to truly have their noses bent out of shape when it comes to Russ. Sherman and Baldwin. Especially Sherman, who acts like a spoiled child and can't stand it when anyone has attention he thinks he deserves.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sure that happens all the time with teammates this isn’t something unique to Wilson. Brown has also come out defended Wilson after that event. Multiple times. Again the idea that teammates hate Wilson is way overblown.
Quarterbacks do not frequently throw their offensive line under the bus, so no this was not a common situation

Brown may have publicly shown forgiveness because he was the bigger person, but he was also understandably upset

You seemed to paint the picture that Brown wasnt part of the mix of people who have had issues with him.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Because of the hatred some here have developed for Russ they project this onto the team and everyone else they can. There are 2 players that seem to truly have their noses bent out of shape when it comes to Russ. Sherman and Baldwin. Especially Sherman, who acts like a spoiled child and can't stand it when anyone has attention he thinks he deserves.

If you arent noticing the growing number of people (in Denver now as well) that are sick of his act, I'm not sure what to say

Its not even a question at this point that he rubs many people the wrong way

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
He has spoken highly of Russ dozens of times. Why is it so important to paint a picture that everyone hates Russ when it’s obviously a reach? If you’re glad he’s gone then good that’s your right but this obsession to try to trash his character by fans is just weird to me. He was a critical part of our best era of football for a decade. I get the feeling some people hate that lol.