Madden: Super Bowl will haunt Pete Carroll forever

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":q63e4bur said:
I disagree about XL vs 49. XL will always be a rape job that I will never forget. We never had a chance. At least in 49 we did, and the team did me proud. I still feel so awful for the players on the XL squad, especially big Walt.

Yea, we got jobbed, no doubt about it. But at times like that and even though I am not a deeply religious man, I am reminded of a prayer that goes something like this: "God grant me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to tell the difference between the two".

So essentially, since we could not control the actions of the refs in XL, I was compelled to seek the serenity of accepting that which I (or rather us as Seahawks) could not change. But in 49, our problem was entirely self inflicted by one horrendous play call, and that is something that we, as Seahawks, had complete control over. That's why 49 burns in me much more than XL did, or for that matter, the Vinny Testeverde helmet touchdown, which was a worse call than any single call in XL.

Does that make sense?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":wqtsczf4 said:
Seahwkgal":wqtsczf4 said:
The Lions have never even been to one. I am so glad Seattle isn't in that situation. So glad I stuck with them after we moved to Michigan. I feel so sorry for my friends out here.

I know Lions fans have to be miserable. I kept hoping Wayne Fontes would win one just to shut up the folks clowning him back in the day. I thought they had something with Schwartz but turns out he couldn't get them in line. They may do something with the new coach but now the defense is in a change period so I am not sure.

Doing a mental exercise to see how good my memory is:

The Eagles have been twice and lost both times. Cardinals been once and lost. Carolina once and lost. Falcons went once and lost. I think every other NFC team has been and won one.

On the AFC side, Titans went once and lost. Chargers went once and lost. Cleveland has never been to the SB. We know about the Bengals. Texans have never gone. Jaguars have never gone. Bills have never won, been 4 times.

So 3 teams have never gone from the AFC and 1 from the NFC have never been to the big game. Not sure if I am missing an obvious team but I think that is it.
Without looking it up, me thinks your correct Doc. Damn, old dude with excellent memory!

AVL

Reaction score
Why is losing a great game in heartbreaking fashion in any way worse than cynically sucking at life?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Touchdown Lynch! oh wait a minute...yep it should haunt just about everyone on that team..not just Carroll...

Hawkboi

Reaction score
This is probably the only Super Bowl in History where the Loser of the game is actually remembered over the years more so than the winner's of most... Everybody will remember the worst play ever, that everybody talked about over and over and over, and still is.... Between all the talk about Deflated Balls, Beast Mode not talking, and then the worst last play ever, this past Super Bowl won't be put to rest soon...

LymonHawk

Reaction score
"Haunt" is a little strong, Will he remember the game? Certainly. Will he second guess himself? I doubt it. You don't get to his position by doubting yourself. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, doesn't mean dog crap to guys like PC.

There's a reason they came up the expression, MMQB...hindsight is always 20/20.

Now, if anyone here can show me their post complaining about that play when it was successful, please post it.

Msfann

Reaction score
In the last 2 years in the NFL our rank has been #1 and #2, think about how the fans of the bottom teams feel. I'm not sad about a damn thing.

Go Hawks!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Unless PC can win another one before he retires, it will truly haunt him forever and most of us fans. Ah well that's what happens when you get cute with the playcall.

Tical21

Reaction score
He is right. That game could very well be the difference between being a HOF coach and not.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tical21":jl0fqc0j said:
He is right. That game could very well be the difference between being a HOF coach and not.

Very true. Had Pete won two in a row, he would have immediately elevated himself into HOF consideration. Now not only is he one of many that have a single Lombardi, he's the butt of jokes because of that last play call.

Pete probably doesn't have a lot of years left to wash out that bitter aftertaste left over from 49. He's currently the second oldest active NFL head coach.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2d6pj7ir said:
Jeez John, not really tough to figure that out, now huh? Thanks for restating the obvious.

Yea, no kidding. Especially since Pete has pretty much come out and said the very thing already. Says it still keeps him up at night.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
PC doesn't seem like a haunted guy. He has coached long enough to have a number of big wins and losses.

If he wins another, the sting of this one will ease significantly.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm sure the loss will sting for for the rest of his days.

I have moved forward from it, but it was a galactically awful decision and the fumbling around prior to the picked off pass was lame coaching in terms of game management too.

Winning another SB or two will set all things right for everyone.

brimsalabim

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 916

Greenhell

Reaction score
I've put it behind me as best as I can. I see no reason why this team cant make be a serious Super Bowl run for the next 3-4 years. Seriously.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":16sydoi7 said:
I've put it behind me as best as I can. I see no reason why this team cant make be a serious Super Bowl run for the next 3-4 years. Seriously.

And what if, hypothetically, we were to return to the SB this next year, and win. How would the one loss appear then, sandwiched between two wins?

I'm not counting chicks before hatching, I'm just trying to look at this from another perspective. We would have earned 3 SB berths in a row, won two, and lost one that we were in position to win with a minute left.

That's serious success, and, taken as a whole, would make last year's loss seem a bit less dramatic. Even now, I've put the loss behind me as just one loss in an overall great season, and even that game was fun to watch, drama until the last minute. We competed well against a very good team.