Make No Mistake The 49ers are the Real Threat NOT the Rams

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":3u1w84pm said:
NINEster":3u1w84pm said:
Maulbert":3u1w84pm said:
NINEster":3u1w84pm said:
What it is, is some annoying cuckery going on by some Niner fans that feel that by being super subservient on a Hawks site that their opinions will mean more or they'll be accepted more. It's nonsense and I wish it would stop. There are ways to pump the brakes without it being over the top. You'll never see the same people posting this stuff on their home site, so no reason the analysis should change here. Certainly the Seahawk fans that visit the Zone don't come in talking down or dismissing their team (if anything they're bigger homers).

Fan is short for fanatic which is basically a slightly irrational follower of a team. The only valuable viewpoint from a rival fan's is one that sees things half full, sees things only the real fan could see, etc. Doesn't mean it's right but it's a viewpoint worth taking.

I've seen stuff on .NET over the years from the main forum that would prove true that others didn't foresee around the league.

Likewise, the other duty we are here to fill for each other is to attack perceived weaknesses in other teams. Boy did .NET go off on Kaepernick like he was the worst starting QB in the history of the sport. Some of it was exaggerated, some of it had some basis.

If it wasn't so personal, I could have looked at Wilson a bit more rationally and with less emotion. I still maintain all of my positions on him until proven otherwise, but yeah it is what it is. You listening Maulbert?

And your positions on him have been consistently proven wrong for 7 years, but you still parrot them like a wind-up doll with his string pulled. It is utterly impossible for you to praise him, I think. You'd probably spontaneously combust. And your inability to admit even a little that he might be a top 5 QB is proof that you can't judge football players with even a modicum of impartiality. No self-respecting expert would even compare GQ to Russell Wilson, and yet, you not only do, but claim he's better. This opinion can only be one of two things, pure stupidity, or bias, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're just being a troll, and not actually that dumb. So, yes, I will continue to call out your bullshit whenever you trot it out for inspection. Good lord, you're on an enemy board. Stop acting like a victim.

Ok, he's top 5 at getting production in the regular season. TD passes, TD/INT ratio, deep ball accuracy, resilience, end of the day he puts up #s that can justify the ranking.

Just not a fan of the way he plays the position. I still feel that he plays the position more dependent on mobility, getting outside of the pocket, broken plays than a top 5 QB typically does. He can throw the deep ball as good as anyone else in the league, which is another extension of above. He's an elite playmaker because he can attack deep from anywhere on the field.

But what happens when you face a defense that can take most of those things away? What happens then? Wilson is a better QB in 2019 than he was in 2013, yet the offensive production in the postseason don't seem to be any better than back then.

This season seems to be a bit different than season's past. I'm more open to a more favorable ranking on him based on this season so far.

Top 5, weeks 1-17.

Not top 5, weeks 18+.

Let's start there.

I'll give you credit that you at least stated it as opinion, however, as far as Wilson not performing in the playoffs, that's just inaccurate. I won't deny the goal line int wasn't devastating, but his career playoff passer rating is 94.9. While that is 6 points lower than his regular season average, it's higher than the playoff passer rating of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Favre, or Steve Young (whose passer rating dips 10+ points during the postseason). Not to mention, he has an 8-5 postseason record. You're basing that opinion on one play. Remember, while he played awful in the first 55 minutes vs. Green Bay, Seattle would not have won their 3rd NFC Championship without his play in overtime. He has an ability to shrug off mistakes when a lot would just fold and wallow in their failure (See: Cam Newton). Also, just as an interesting tidbit, Jared Goff's passer rating dips almost 20 points in the postseason, from 92.9 to 73.6.
You really shouldn't compare passer ratings between guys today and guys 20 years ago. Instead, compare the relative difference between what QBs playing in the same year put up in terms of passer rating. Even playoff differential changes should probably be measured against what the mean is for that era (Manning and Brady also played several years where the average passer rating was lower than today's).

Vesuve

Reaction score
As for the Niners v. Rams coming up in a few hours, Gurley is out with an injury

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":2hv5cm8r said:
NINEster":2hv5cm8r said:
Nobody really hated Kap outside of Seahawk and Panthers fans back in the day anyway, so that's a massive projection that the entire NFL fanbase disliked him.

Did you ever read the 'Why Your Team Sucks' series of articles on Deadspin during the Kaeperdouche era? I assure you, Seattle and Carolina were not the only ones who hated him. Even putting that aside, though, you can't tell me the Packers didn't hate him more than we did. He was 1-7 as a starter vs. Seattle. He was 3-1 vs. the Packers.

Who the hell ever comes off good in that article series?

Besides, Magary trashed Wilson, Lynch, Carroll, plenty.

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2gv4dwqi said:
Maulbert":2gv4dwqi said:
NINEster":2gv4dwqi said:
Maulbert":2gv4dwqi said:
And your positions on him have been consistently proven wrong for 7 years, but you still parrot them like a wind-up doll with his string pulled. It is utterly impossible for you to praise him, I think. You'd probably spontaneously combust. And your inability to admit even a little that he might be a top 5 QB is proof that you can't judge football players with even a modicum of impartiality. No self-respecting expert would even compare GQ to Russell Wilson, and yet, you not only do, but claim he's better. This opinion can only be one of two things, pure stupidity, or bias, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're just being a troll, and not actually that dumb. So, yes, I will continue to call out your bullshit whenever you trot it out for inspection. Good lord, you're on an enemy board. Stop acting like a victim.

Ok, he's top 5 at getting production in the regular season. TD passes, TD/INT ratio, deep ball accuracy, resilience, end of the day he puts up #s that can justify the ranking.

Just not a fan of the way he plays the position. I still feel that he plays the position more dependent on mobility, getting outside of the pocket, broken plays than a top 5 QB typically does. He can throw the deep ball as good as anyone else in the league, which is another extension of above. He's an elite playmaker because he can attack deep from anywhere on the field.

But what happens when you face a defense that can take most of those things away? What happens then? Wilson is a better QB in 2019 than he was in 2013, yet the offensive production in the postseason don't seem to be any better than back then.

This season seems to be a bit different than season's past. I'm more open to a more favorable ranking on him based on this season so far.

Top 5, weeks 1-17.

Not top 5, weeks 18+.

Let's start there.

I'll give you credit that you at least stated it as opinion, however, as far as Wilson not performing in the playoffs, that's just inaccurate. I won't deny the goal line int wasn't devastating, but his career playoff passer rating is 94.9. While that is 6 points lower than his regular season average, it's higher than the playoff passer rating of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Favre, or Steve Young (whose passer rating dips 10+ points during the postseason). Not to mention, he has an 8-5 postseason record. You're basing that opinion on one play. Remember, while he played awful in the first 55 minutes vs. Green Bay, Seattle would not have won their 3rd NFC Championship without his play in overtime. He has an ability to shrug off mistakes when a lot would just fold and wallow in their failure (See: Cam Newton). Also, just as an interesting tidbit, Jared Goff's passer rating dips almost 20 points in the postseason, from 92.9 to 73.6.
You really shouldn't compare passer ratings between guys today and guys 20 years ago. Instead, compare the relative difference between what QBs playing in the same year put up in terms of passer rating. Even playoff differential changes should probably be measured against what the mean is for that era (Manning and Brady also played several years where the average passer rating was lower than today's).

Right, there's inflation to the passer rating. There's a good article on it that starts with "without adjustment, Kirk cousin is better than Joe Montana". It provided an adjustment to all of the eras of QBs, and after all the adjustment the top 10 were all legit Hall of Fame guys.

Maulbert, I'm not denying that certain QBs suffer from a ratings drop in the postseason, however I'm not basing it on that one play. That's a bit extreme. In fact I would take away that interception, a few jump balls to that rookie WR, the miracle to Kearse, that 40 second drive to close out the half and say that Wilson didn't play particularly well in that Super Bowl.

Fast forward to last year against the Cowboys. The blame was on the OC, but is that accurate? Dallas found a way to limit nearly all of the Wilson splash plays and it made it appear as if the game plan was very conservative.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
NINEster":stktcmvh said:
5_Golden_Rings":stktcmvh said:
Maulbert":stktcmvh said:
NINEster":stktcmvh said:

Top 5, weeks 1-17.

Not top 5, weeks 18+.

Let's start there.

Right, there's inflation to the passer rating. There's a good article on it that starts with "without adjustment, Kirk cousin is better than Joe Montana". It provided an adjustment to all of the eras of QBs, and after all the adjustment the top 10 were all legit Hall of Fame guys.

Maulbert, I'm not denying that certain QBs suffer from a ratings drop in the postseason, however I'm not basing it on that one play. That's a bit extreme. In fact I would take away that interception, a few jump balls to that rookie WR, the miracle to Kearse, that 40 second drive to close out the half and say that Wilson didn't play particularly well in that Super Bowl.

Fast forward to last year against the Cowboys. The blame was on the OC, but is that accurate? Dallas found a way to limit nearly all of the Wilson splash plays and it made it appear as if the game plan was very conservative.
Cohn did a heavily researched article where it showed that compared to their respective peers, the best QB ever is Joe Montana, and then a long way behind him is Brady, and then another long way behind him is everyone else.

I definitely do not dispute it except for Brady's longevity, which is absurd even in today's game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NINEster":30ht639k said:
Who the hell ever comes off good in that article series?

Besides, Magary trashed Wilson, Lynch, Carroll, plenty.
I believe his point is that a lot of what's in those articles is based on fact.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
At 20-7, thus far this post seems prescient. Gurley out notwithstanding, if the Rams ain't the lambs, they should be winning withot him.

SF looking way better than anyone expected.

Stanley

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":a5szep4g said:
At 20-7, thus far this post seems prescient. Gurley out notwithstanding, if the Rams ain't the lambs, they should be winning withot him.

Juszczyk is more important to the 49ers than Gurley is to the Rams. Almost as important as Wilson's ability to scramble.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Stanley":1li1zzzv said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1li1zzzv said:

Juszczyk is more important to the 49ers than Gurley is to the Rams. Almost as important as Wilson's ability to scramble.

No, Gurley is more important, but the problem is Gurley hasn't really been there all season. The only difference is the 49ers didn't have to fear his ghost. The Rams are a shell of themselves, and it's because Gurley is finished. They just haven't accepted it yet.

rlkats

Reaction score
Rams issue is simply this:

Goff - 13/24 and 78 yards all game.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":1f5cehjh said:
Stanley":1f5cehjh said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1f5cehjh said:

No, Gurley is more important, but the problem is Gurley hasn't really been there all season. The only difference is the 49ers didn't have to fear his ghost. The Rams are a shell of themselves, and it's because Gurley is finished. They just haven't accepted it yet.

Their back up RBs came out and bloodied the 49ers nose but all it did was fire up the D.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":2iv3ft0y said:
Maulbert":2iv3ft0y said:
Stanley":2iv3ft0y said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":2iv3ft0y said:

Their back up RBs came out and bloodied the 49ers nose but all it did was fire up the D.

No denying, their D was lights out. And we're finally seeing just how much Goff struggles without a running threat. He's just not capable of elevating a team on his own.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":3gxkn8dc said:
Washington49er":3gxkn8dc said:
Maulbert":3gxkn8dc said:
Stanley":3gxkn8dc said:

No denying, their D was lights out. And we're finally seeing just how much Goff struggles without a running threat. He's just not capable of elevating a team on his own.

I've always thought Geoff was overrated

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":30xxa624 said:
Maulbert":30xxa624 said:
Washington49er":30xxa624 said:
Maulbert":30xxa624 said:

I've always thought Geoff was overrated

Same here. I think he was really exposed in the Bears game last year, and now it's catching up.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":1mq73tqv said:
Stanley":1mq73tqv said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1mq73tqv said:

Juice Check is way more important because he isn’t just a runner or a blocker or a receiver - he is the key to disguising the 49ers offense.

PackerNation

Reaction score
rlkats":bl7dxgs8 said:
Rams issue is simply this:

Goff - 13/24 and 78 yards all game.

and you don't think the 9er defense had anything to do with that? Get real.

They were lights out all day with the exception of the 1st drive.