Malcolm Smith...uh wow

jake206

Reaction score
Malcolm Smith's first day back from ankle surgery...

From the TNT
"
...Malcolm Smith ran across the middle of the field from left to right, tightly trailing his assigned receiver. The pass from quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was high and behind his target — high and behind Smith, too. The linebacker leaped and in one, brilliantly athletic motion pulled his left arm up and back to cuff the ball out of the air with his hand and wrist. Smith somehow kept his balance and then zoomed past the stunned offense, coaches, waterboys and everyone else to the end zone directly outside the locker room.

My colleague Dave Boling has been watching practices for oh, a day or two. Standing next to me on the sideline, about 10 yards from where Smith snagged the interception, Boling let out an loud “WOW!” as Smith ran away from us. He says it’s one of the top five plays he’s seen at any Seattle football practice in 30 years.

I mean, it was something, certainly not too shabby for a seventh-round draft choice in 2011. All his fellow linebackers ran down the field to jump on him in the end zone. All-Pro safety Earl Thomas ran the field behind them to join in the fun. The defensive players — starters and reserves alike — gleefully chanted “MVP! MVP!”"

kearly

Reaction score
I like how Smith attacks the football. He ended the year with four picks in five games as a reserve LB (with two pick sixes). Granted, most of his picks were duck hunts that a lot of LBs could make, but his agressiveness and speed helps turn those picks into big returns and TDs.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Largent80":1adlr4b8 said:
Plus we have Wright who is fantastic. :179417:

and Bobby Wagner, who doesn't get near enough credit here, has 5 picks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smellyman":1asuq9uu said:
Largent80":1asuq9uu said:

Boy, isn't that the truth. I think I should adopt Wagner because the needs some love!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smellyman":waxirk2i said:
Largent80":waxirk2i said:

Boy, isn't that the truth. I think I should adopt Wagner because the boy needs some love!

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I really like Malcolm's game. The guy brings it every down and though he may not be the biggest guy on the field, he has elite speed for the position, and incredible situational awareness.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
For some reason, I get him and Deandre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders) mixed up. Not sure why. Maybe because elite speed/skill, and quiet demeanor.

sc85sis

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":22qvwkxt said:
I really like Malcolm's game. The guy brings it every down and though he may not be the biggest guy on the field, he has elite speed for the position, and incredible situational awareness.
I'm really happy for Malcolm. He was always undersized for a linebacker but with excellent skills and speed. He struggled at USC because of his achalasia, then finally started showing real flashes his senior year after getting healthy. To see him have success in the NFL is very sweet.

He and his older brother, Steve, with both great Trojans.

McG

Reaction score
Smith reminds me of a hybrid LB/SS. His size, speed and skill set screams SS, but he is just big and strong enough to play LB. We gotta find a away to keep him here before free agency hits, doubtful because I'm betting his agent wouldn't ever allow that, but there has to be a way. I love his game and he exactly what this generation of a Seahawk is, a late rounder who's hungry.

bigcc

Reaction score
too bad he's as good as gone next year if he performs like I expect him to

well, him and/or (hoping for latter) maxwell

will look forward to seeing whoever falls short do well for the jags though....lol

bigcc

Reaction score
McG":egtd9fks said:
Smith reminds me of a hybrid LB/SS. His size, speed and skill set screams SS, but he is just big and strong enough to play LB. We gotta find a away to keep him here before free agency hits, doubtful because I'm betting his agent wouldn't ever allow that, but there has to be a way. I love his game and he exactly what this generation of a Seahawk is, a late rounder who's hungry.

He'd literally have to be one of the worst agents of all time to extend his contract NOW.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Carroll regime (primarily Carroll and Norton) is underrated around these parts for linebacker development. We always want to talk about what Pete does with the secondary, but Pete was pumping out star linebackers in college and has developed a stable of great pro LBs in Seattle from mostly the scrap heaps of the draft.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So ironic that Malcolm Smith was a backup for most of last year... got onto the field due to injuries, IIRC, but then made big play after big play down the stretch.

I love me some Malcolm Smith but it's hard to see how the Hawks pay him enough to keep him next year, though I'd see that more than say, Golden Tate.

tubbs51

Reaction score
Probably the most underrated LB corps out there. All of them are fantastic including the backups and newbies like Coyle.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ri6kwxc said:
The Carroll regime (primarily Carroll and Norton) is underrated around these parts for linebacker development. We always want to talk about what Pete does with the secondary, but Pete was pumping out star linebackers in college and has developed a stable of great pro LBs in Seattle from mostly the scrap heaps of the draft.

Agreed. Looks like we got two more keepers this year as well in the fourth round and in UDFA.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Smith's play in those final six games (all at WLB) was incredible. It was the best play I have seen from the weakside linebacker position in many years with 41 tackles, those four INTs, two TDs, 138 INT return yards, and his fumble recovery in the Super Bowl. He has blossomed into a beast at the WLB position. Now that he is back from injury, I think it's his position to lose. Wright should battle it out with Irvin at SLB once he returns from injury.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2014":7idid9d4 said:
Smith's play in those final six games (all at WLB) was incredible. It was the best play I have seen from the weakside linebacker position in many years with 41 tackles, those four INTs, two TDs, 138 INT return yards, and his fumble recovery in the Super Bowl. He has blossomed into a beast at the WLB position. Now that he is back from injury, I think it's his position to lose. Wright should battle it out with Irvin at SLB once he returns from injury.
If that's your scenario, I wouldn't describe it as a 'battle.' KJ should easily win. You gotta have some brains to go with the brawn. Bruce falls a bit short on grey matter.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":p8q4e1n0 said:
hawknation2014":p8q4e1n0 said:
If that's your scenario, I wouldn't describe it as a 'battle.' KJ should easily win. You gotta have some brains to go with the brawn. Bruce falls a bit short on grey matter.

Wow, talk about assumptive. Irvin has never played Linebacker at ANY level, and played last year in the NFL and didn't embarrass himself. There's a ton of LBers out there that played the position all the way through college, got drafted highly for that position and have looked much worse than Irvin, years later. Hell, we drafted one in the 1st round.

This is a guy who's sum of coaching at the college level was "line up here, run really fast and knock the QB down". Maybe it's the coaching staff at WVU that lack the grey matter.

Latest posts