Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred?

keasley45

Reaction score
At the time, absolutely fair questions, not crazy at all, and it was errors, plural, over the course of Geno's career. You usually don't engage in this kind of Monday-morning quarterbacking. The DUI incident occurred in January 2022. I do agree it was downright idiocy, the one poster who said Geno was worse than Brandon Browner, given Browner is in jail for attempted murder. Please don't smear me with that, I said nothing of the sort.

Geno has "written back" with his play on the field, and it's obvious the team will follow him to the gates of hell and back. None of this was "obvious" in early August of 2022.

But what are the multiple 'errors'? He got punched by a teammate and there was a story written about it that cast Geno as selfish. Since, there was another article written where the dude who punched him refused to say anything negative.
It's funny. We revere players from yesteryear guys like Namath and Stabler as players who were legendary for their leadership and play. But guys like the Snake notoriously showed up to games half drunk and yet they led teams and weren't questioned for their leadership. I'm not saying its right, just that there's a ridiculous double standard when it comes to Geno - or when it came to him. So solid was the die cast based that the evidence on the field that he laid out there for everyone to see was entirely ignored or outright dismissed. Everything successful thing he did was a fluke, just good fortune or God knows what. Getting stopped for a dui doesn't make one a bad person or poor leader. It's a poor jusgement call that many 'good', character people make. Can it be a sign of deeper issues? Sure. But you have to weigh everything you know of the person to draw a reasonable conclusion. And like I said, with Geno, almost everything good was enthusiastically disregarded by many.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, I think it's time to retire from the Geno worry at this point. He's a just a damn solid QB who has this team locked in, and his teammates believing in him.
Does it even matter anymore if people were right or wrong about the guy? He's playing the best football of his career, truly all that matters.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
But what are the multiple 'errors'? He got punched by a teammate and there was a story written about it that cast Geno as selfish. Since, there was another article written where the dude who punched him refused to say anything negative.
It's funny. We revere players from yesteryear guys like Namath and Stabler as players who were legendary for their leadership and play. But guys like the Snake notoriously showed up to games half drunk and yet they led teams and weren't questioned for their leadership. I'm not saying its right, just that there's a ridiculous double standard when it comes to Geno - or when it came to him. So solid was the die cast based that the evidence on the field that he laid out there for everyone to see was entirely ignored or outright dismissed. Everything successful thing he did was a fluke, just good fortune or God knows what. Getting stopped for a dui doesn't make one a bad person or poor leader. It's a poor jusgement call that many 'good', character people make. Can it be a sign of deeper issues? Sure. But you have to weigh everything you know of the person to draw a reasonable conclusion. And like I said, with Geno, almost everything good was enthusiastically disregarded by many.
Multiple errors? Can you imagine Russell Wilson stiffing a teammate in that way Geno did with the Jets? I can't. However, that was what, 10 years ago? So it's just a data point, a problematic data point, and Geno paid dearly for it.

In the DUI arrest, the biggest red flag was Geno's behavior towards the police officers. Not a good look for him, very entitled, narcissistic, privileged behavior from the accounts in the media. Very not smart of Geno to put himself into that situation in the first place. There's Uber he could use, and I'm guessing team probably has 24-7 on-call designated drivers players are told to call rather than risk a DUI.

The Seahawks team is so good at keeping a lot of things inside the team, such as the disdain for Russell Wilson's act by many players. Given that, it was hard to know if this was a one-off, or this was the tip of the iceberg revealing an ongoing pattern of issues with Geno, e.g., alcohol-related judgment issues. I'm going to guess that Geno got scolded and admonished by the team at the time that any repeats of this type of behavior would be harmful to his career. We don't know, and may never know, unless Geno writes a book 10 years down the road that includes the whole story.

The standards for "face-of-the-franchise" QBs are pretty high these days, and I don't see it as relevant to dredge up situations from the pre-Internet 70's and somehow think they are parallels. Revere Namath and Stabler? Namath was a mediocre attention whore and the Jets defense won that Super Bowl, not Namath. Stabler, loved by Raiders fans, whatever, certainly not by me, and Raiders fans tend to embrace "villain" types as heroes.

It was absolutely reasonable to ask the question about Geno at the time; Geno has written back with his play on the field, and by not having any additional off-the-field issues, and we see evidence each week by how Geno's teammates respond to his leadership.

This thread was only revived by Monday-morning quarterbacking by posters who didn't predict Geno's breakout year; pretty much nobody did. He's certainly won me over, and pretty much all other doubters. Can we agree to stop the belated second-guessing and just enjoy Geno and the team's play on the field?