Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This is why I thought completely passing on every QB in the draft was dumb. We knew Geno had a DUI already. We knew all of this stuff. I figured he wouldn't even be resigned. Yet here he is.
I would much rather have taken a shot on a qb this year and if he stunk he stunk. So be it. Starting Geno does nothing for the team moving forward.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This is why I thought completely passing on every QB in the draft was dumb. We knew Geno had a DUI already. We knew all of this stuff. I figured he wouldn't even be resigned. Yet here he is.
I would much rather have taken a shot on a qb this year and if he stunk he stunk. So be it. Starting Geno does nothing for the team moving forward.
All there was is ass for QB in draft..We did the right thing and built up on
other area's..
Unless Lock is the answer I see us getting a decent QB in next draft.

W

Welshers

Yes! I question Geno! A leader does not get people to break his jaw! He should inspire confidence! Lock is THE GUY! He had an absolutely incredible preseason debut! His career will be revitalized here! Wait, watch and learn!

audioeffects

Reaction score
Could be that by the end of the season, both Smith and Lock will end-up having started about half of the 17 games each, give or take. It will clarify for certain whether one of them can be a franchise QB or not.

Understandably, many observers will call Lock and Smith mere space holders, and why not? But some may actually give Pete and John credit for taking their best shot at assessing thoroughly what they have during chapter 1 of a new day for the Seahawks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I was hoping we'd pick up Desmond Ridder as a developmental prospect but ATL took him. He had a really nice Russell-Wilson-esque debut for them. He's a guy who's shown aptitude that suggests he can learn to read NFL defenses, plus good athletic tools, and a proven leader. Check out his debut:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
All there was is ass for QB in draft..We did the right thing and built up on
other area's..
Unless Lock is the answer I see us getting a decent QB in next draft.
We don't know this though. That may be your opinion it may be theirs but we just wasted an entire year in finding a QB. We know what Geno is and its not great. Same thing goes for Lock at this point with maybe a bit more hope because he has always had the tools.
No one knows all these rookie QB's will stink and I think to claim so takes a fair bit of hubris. Take a shot and see what happens. Its the most important position on the team by far.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
We don't know this though. That may be your opinion it may be theirs but we just wasted an entire year in finding a QB. We know what Geno is and its not great. Same thing goes for Lock at this point with maybe a bit more hope because he has always had the tools.
No one knows all these rookie QB's will stink and I think to claim so takes a fair bit of hubris. Take a shot and see what happens. Its the most important position on the team by far.

Fair enough.

But what draft round and pick would you have risked taking a QB in this year's draft (who doesn't have top tools)? If first round, then you lose our new LT, who right now appears to be the future of the position on our O-line. If second round, then you're getting diminishing returns on QB skills for anyone left; this logic extends to an even greater degree to later rounds. The problem is that "taking a shot" gives up a lot for too much risk this year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
There were opportunities deep into this draft to take a shot. Could have moved around anywhere in the third , fourth, or fifth all the way to the 7th we could have grabbed the Nevada QB forgetting his name right now but the eagles gave him something like 230 k to sign with them. Very unusual to pay that for a free agent.
You can claim opportunity cost but again QB is THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION by far. Take a shot don't waste a whole year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I am with your BlueTalon, I think last season's 3.5 games of 5TD/1INT may be the best of Geno's pro career. His PFF for those games was 73.9, almost as good as JimmyG, that was probably Geno's ceiling. My question for past two months or so has been, can Geno play at that level for a whole season? If he could, we got ourselves a Jimmy on the cheap.

In Geno's playing history, Geno's biggest problem was big game heroics, he seldom raised to the moment, more often than not, he cracked under pressure. Poised under pressure, he hasn't been. Hopefully, coaches and teammates encouragement will boost his confidence.
Playing backup to a Quarterback who's never (until last season) really been hurt, comes into a game against THE RAMS, he comes off the bench with zero FOR REAL time warmup, has to shake the rust off call on muscle memories & mentally process the fact that you have to go immediately into overdrive.
Having sat behind Russ for a couple seasons, Geno has no doubt picked up >SOME< of Russ's play, not that he could execute most of what Wilson was doing, he'd still be able to make a decent showing to finish that LOST game.
I think that being Wilson's backup for a couple seasons, most of his time playing for the Jets became old news.
I believe that is why Pete & Co. are giving him the benefit of the doubt in this competition with Drew Lock.
I'm holding my verdict until I see if Geno can 'Man-Up', & reinvigorate, I have NO ILLUSION that he is going to be the QB of the future for the Seahawks.

keasley45

Reaction score
Playing backup to a Quarterback who's never (until last season) really been hurt, comes into a game against THE RAMS, he comes off the bench with zero FOR REAL time warmup, has to shake the rust off call on muscle memories & mentally process the fact that you have to go immediately into overdrive.
Having sat behind Russ for a couple seasons, Geno has no doubt picked up >SOME< of Russ's play, not that he could execute most of what Wilson was doing, he'd still be able to make a decent showing to finish that LOST game.
I think that being Wilson's backup for a couple seasons, most of his time playing for the Jets became old news.
I believe that is why Pete & Co. are giving him the benefit of the doubt in this competition with Drew Lock.
I'm holding my verdict until I see if Geno can 'Man-Up', & reinvigorate, I have NO ILLUSION that he is going to be the QB of the future for the Seahawks.

Agree. Who Geno is now is an unknown. Sure, you can get a sense of some of his traits and tendencies from tape 6 years ago, but he's spent as much time watching Russ as he has starting when he came into the league.

Not saying the guy is the next coming or the savior of the franchise, but what he has shown through this last preseason game in Hawks blue is more evolved than what he was before, easily.

And the thing is, if you took the name and number off of his jersey, there'd be a lot less criticism being tossed around re his ability. He hasn't shown the ability to REALLY get things going yet (maybe in the end, he never will). But he also hasn't shown that he can't read a defense, or that he can't make the gimme throws, or that he can't make some higher difficulty passes. The latter 3 things, he's done. I don't know why his most recent showings woukd be discredited for play that he put on tape in 2015.

He might not be our next franchise dude, but he also hasn't proven that we can't win with him. The loss against the Steelers is hard to pin on Geno alone. If its his fault because it was his first start and he wasn't able to run the entire playbook, I guess you can fault him. Same with the Saints. And he didn't lose the game against the Rams, he just couldn't win it because Tyler slipped getting a ball that he would have otherwise caught.

Maybe the offense looks slower with Geno, because , well... he's slower to read coverages or playing it Ultra conservative. But even if that's the case, it wouldn't be illogical to assume that running the same stuff, week after week, wouldn't speed up his processing. Or, that with a few games under his belt, that he'd be more comfortable hitting passes like the one he threw to Fant last week.

Whatever the eventual outcome is of him under center, I wish we could all just pull a T.O. and realize that 'that's our QB, man'.

If he flames out, let him flame out. If he can't lead the team, pull him and let Lock start. But at least evaluate the dude fairly for what he's shown on the field. The off the field antics and Twitter posts... that's some BS on his part.

His game? Let it speak for itself. ... as in the plays he's making now. In games. For the Seahawks. Not some BS from a lifetime ago.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Agree. Who Geno is now is an unknown. Sure, you can get a sense of some of his traits and tendencies from tape 6 years ago, but he's spent as much time watching Russ as he has starting when he came into the league.

Not saying the guy is the next coming or the savior of the franchise, but what he has shown through this last preseason game in Hawks blue is more evolved than what he was before, easily.

And the thing is, if you took the name and number off of his jersey, there'd be a lot less criticism being tossed around re his ability. He hasn't shown the ability to REALLY get things going yet (maybe in the end, he never will). But he also hasn't shown that he can't read a defense, or that he can't make the gimme throws, or that he can't make some higher difficulty passes. The latter 3 things, he's done. I don't know why his most recent showings woukd be discredited for play that he put on tape in 2015.

He might not be our next franchise dude, but he also hasn't proven that we can't win with him. The loss against the Steelers is hard to pin on Geno alone. If its his fault because it was his first start and he wasn't able to run the entire playbook, I guess you can fault him. Same with the Saints. And he didn't lose the game against the Rams, he just couldn't win it because Tyler slipped getting a ball that he would have otherwise caught.

Maybe the offense looks slower with Geno, because , well... he's slower to read coverages or playing it Ultra conservative. But even if that's the case, it wouldn't be illogical to assume that running the same stuff, week after week, wouldn't speed up his processing. Or, that with a few games under his belt, that he'd be more comfortable hitting passes like the one he threw to Fant last week.

Whatever the eventual outcome is of him under center, I wish we could all just pull a T.O. and realize that 'that's our QB, man'.

If he flames out, let him flame out. If he can't lead the team, pull him and let Lock start. But at least evaluate the dude fairly for what he's shown on the field. The off the field antics and Twitter posts... that's some BS on his part.

His game? Let it speak for itself. ... as in the plays he's making now. In games. For the Seahawks. Not some BS from a lifetime ago.
Yep, same page.

toffee

Reaction score
@keasley45 and @scothawk

I totally agree with you guys, one thing to add however, Geno doesn't have Russ' arm for bombs and legs to run circles, but few QBs have or had, and lacking that did not prevent other QBs to excel. What Geno never quite displayed was his ability to stay poised and compartmentalize when things weren't going his way, he often got rattled under pressure, but then most QBs get rattled under pressure, only an elite few could remain poised under pressure.

Geno may not be and probably will never be elite, but I can think of a few super bowl winning QBs weren't elite either. Geno could be that unexciting game manager that keeps games close and wins ugly, IF he could keep mistake and turnovers in check. Minimize mistakes is key to Geno's success at this point.

my 2p.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

If you put Tyler Huntley's name on the back of Geno Smith's jersey, I guarantee you that over half of this board would be okay with trading for him. (Ignoring the fact that they look like entirely different people, of course.. but you know what I'm getting at)

Priors are super hard to shake. It's human nature. We use pre-established information to help us perceive patterns.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If you put Tyler Huntley's name on the back of Geno Smith's jersey, I guarantee you that over half of this board would be okay with trading for him. (Ignoring the fact that they look like entirely different people, of course.. but you know what I'm getting at)

Priors are super hard to shake. It's human nature. We use pre-established information to help us perceive patterns.
Tyler Huntley is 24 years old and still early in his NFL career (this is his 3rd season). Geno Smith is 31 and is going on his 10th year in the NFL. So the potential to improve is greater with Huntley. Almost like many see with Lock.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Marshawn just got a DUI that was very similar in nature to Geno's - he refused to do the breathalyzer, hand to be handcuffed and restrained so they could forcefully take a blood draw, etc. Do you suddenly question whether he was a team leader based on that?

Geno may not be your cup of tea, and that's fine. But I see a lot of opinions that aren't based on anything we've RECENTLY heard regarding how guys actually feel about him or how he's perceived in the locker room.

Last edited:

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Having learned more about his pre-pubescent comments made to the arresting officer after his DUI, the crap he was spewing on twitter last week, stiffing his NYJ team mate etc etc, I'm over Geno on and off the field. He seems to think he is a superstar and worthy of "Jordan rules".

His penile, juvenile insults aside, just why was Geno drunk-driving in a Rolls? His career has been a major disappointment from jump. If he had half a brain (and a starting QB should have twice that), he should be driving a Toyota and saving his money for when the wheels fall off. Literally and figuratively.

"He knows the offense and gives us a better chance to win"? That is certainly debatable. But what's not debatable is that he's obviously too full of himself and too damn dumb to consistently lead any professional football team to anything more than a high draft pick. (OK, IMO).

toffee

Reaction score
Having learned more about his pre-pubescent comments made to the arresting officer after his DUI, the crap he was spewing on twitter last week, stiffing his NYJ team mate etc etc, I'm over Geno on and off the field. He seems to think he is a superstar and worthy of "Jordan rules".

His penile, juvenile insults aside, just why was Geno drunk-driving in a Rolls? His career has been a major disappointment from jump. If he had half a brain (and a starting QB should have twice that), he should be driving a Toyota and saving his money for when the wheels fall off. Literally and figuratively.

"He knows the offense and gives us a better chance to win"? That is certainly debatable. But what's not debatable is that he's obviously too full of himself and too damn dumb to consistently lead any professional football team to anything more than a high draft pick. (OK, IMO).
He has been a career backup up for years, why is he driving a Rolls? He hasn't been making enough money to spend like that.