Malik McDowell in the house

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":3ubn5f48 said:
jammerhawk":3ubn5f48 said:
I guess all the specualtion that his career is over is unfounded?

This whole situation has been so suspiciously hush-hush that I can't fault anyone who jumps to a conclusion. Hope he's good to go soon; you can't have too many guys who do what he does.

I completely agree, yet some of the speculation has been out there. Grotesque facial injury, severe brain injury, lost ear, etc., not sure where these theories derive from except a fertile imagination.

In the end maybe he won't play this season and maybe he might. Hope he does. It was an unfortunate accident. Nice for him to now have a Pro Bowl player to emulate. Maybe he may develop into a player.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Rat":38dxkdsi said:
jammerhawk":38dxkdsi said:

This whole situation has been so suspiciously hush-hush that I can't fault anyone who jumps to a conclusion. Hope he's good to go soon; you can't have too many guys who do what he does.

it's all speculation at this point, but the fact that they're simply trying to acclimate him to being around the team again is a very small step. If the first step is that small, it means you have a long way to go.

On the bright side, if he does recover, maybe it ignites that fire for the sport that he seemed to be missing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The fact he's back with the team argues in favour of when not if.

netskier

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3npgfosw said:
He's in the exact same position as a player on PUP.

When he gets clearance the team can activate him and he can begin to practice.

I have been wondering about this too.

Being hurt for a long time, facing a long recovery process, is depressing. Given this, him being around a bunch of supportive team members would be mood elevating, and just what the doctor ordered for him.

Plus, the pre-draft rap on him was his inconsistent level of effort, and the plan was to have the defensive leaders "lead him" into trying harder, continually. This probably would have worked, but will likely work much better once the entire team indoctrinates him into the team family, bonding with him, and particularly those defensive leaders bonding with him.

I forget where he lives, but few cities have the medical resources that Seattle does.

I like that the Hawks are taking good care of him.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
mikeak":2wnkx6z4 said:
I wonder if this isn't about evaluating him as much for the Seahawks as anything.

They need to figure out if this is a guy that will play football again that they then keep for next year or if they start legal proceedings to recover the money they are out. I am not going to debate here what they can't recover or not - if you break a clause in a contract then any monies paid out against that contract can be attempted to be recovered in court. You may not win - but you can always attempt to recover it

So I hope I am really wrong and the guy will come out of nowhere and be activated

I truly don't think we see him on the field until earliest next off-season and that would be a fortunate outcome......

I don't think the hawks are out any money here. He was injured prior to signing a contract so he is not getting paid until he can play. maybe i'm wrong and his draft status guarantees him a deal.

netskier

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1cu3stwa said:
He's in the exact same position as a player on PUP.

When he gets clearance the team can activate him and he can begin to practice.

I have been wondering about this too.

Being hurt for a long time, facing a long recovery process, is depressing. Given this, him being around a bunch of supportive team members would be mood elevating, and just what the doctor ordered for him.

Plus, the pre-draft rap on him was his inconsistent level of effort, and the plan was to have the defensive leaders "lead him" into trying harder, continually. This probably would have worked, but will likely work much better once the entire team indoctrinates him into the team family, bonding with him, and particularly those defensive leaders bonding with him.

I forget where he lives, but few cities have the medical resources that Seattle does.

I like that the Hawks are taking good care of him.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mike D in 332":2gkjsvlk said:
mikeak":2gkjsvlk said:
I wonder if this isn't about evaluating him as much for the Seahawks as anything.

They need to figure out if this is a guy that will play football again that they then keep for next year or if they start legal proceedings to recover the money they are out. I am not going to debate here what they can't recover or not - if you break a clause in a contract then any monies paid out against that contract can be attempted to be recovered in court. You may not win - but you can always attempt to recover it

So I hope I am really wrong and the guy will come out of nowhere and be activated

I truly don't think we see him on the field until earliest next off-season and that would be a fortunate outcome......

I don't think the hawks are out any money here. He was injured prior to signing a contract so he is not getting paid until he can play. maybe i'm wrong and his draft status guarantees him a deal.

He signed. He has been paid his signing bonus.

sutz

Reaction score
It's not just that "Seattle has great medical care." Sure, it does, but it is also that he is switching from "private" doctors to team doctors. A lot of the secrecy is probably HIPAA regs because as an off-season injury and he was using local doctors, who have privacy laws to follow. As he moves to the team trainers and doctors, I expect we'll get more and more informative updates.

I just hope the kid doesn't have any long term ill effects, and being around his new teammates will probably help his demeanor and motivation.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Maulbert":g5wbniy5 said:
Should we call our D-line the Droogs?

I believe Bennett already named the line "Death Row". Correct me if I am mistaking. I kinda like it.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Pure speculation.

Had a buddy who flipped over the hood of a car, when it pulled in front of his motorcycle. Helmet took the brunt when he hit the ground, but there was an impact.

No structural damage (cuts, cracks, etc), but his behavior changed. Over a 8-10 month period he kinda emotionally went from teenage years to his current age in the 30s. Also had to write notes for a bit, due to short term memory issues.

Even without noticeable harm, head injuries can be weird.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3o7y0b9a said:

If it is indeed over, being on NFI now doesn't preclude him from being in the building. Nor does him being here indicate anything about the long term effects of the crash.

At this point, it's just a random piece of information. Doesn't imply anything either way regarding his likelihood of playing (this year or ever).

My guess is, the speculation will continue until he's active on game day. Merely making the 53 won't do it. As an example, I'd invite anyone to google the saga of Sharrif Floyd (DT Minn). Not the same kind of injury -- but the same scenario where a potential long term injury just seemingly never gets better and never allows him to play.

At this point, all we can do is speculate. And that's largely based on comparing how the team communicates his injury relative to all of the other injuries they report on. It's undeniable that the team is cagey in a way unlike any other injury for any other player. The questions and speculation are warranted based on that alone. The HIPAA guidelines could explain that. But it could just as easily be a means to let the reality unfold.

There's nothing wrong with speculation at this stage. It's a fan forums' currency. But we all need to be wary when our speculation is worded as certainty. Everyone here makes wording mistakes. It's not like we have copy editors making sure our posts reflect that.

In my opinion, the speculation about whether McDowell ever plays will always be founded until the day he gets on the field. The body of evidence with respect to how this injury has played out directs us to no other reasonable conclusion. Irregardless of whether there may be a legitimate reason why the team has behaved differently in this case than every other injury ever -- that reason doesn't dismiss the fact that the secrecy of this injury is unlike any this FO has communicated with the public.

RussB

Reaction score
If he can come back anywhere from midseason towards the playoff this D line would probably be the best of all time.

Clark
Avril
bennett
Mcdowell
Sheldon

Tenor

netskier

Reaction score
lobohawk":2zsmiuzr said:
Pure speculation.

Had a buddy who flipped over the hood of a car, when it pulled in front of his motorcycle. Helmet took the brunt when he hit the ground, but there was an impact.

No structural damage (cuts, cracks, etc), but his behavior changed. Over a 8-10 month period he kinda emotionally went from teenage years to his current age in the 30s. Also had to write notes for a bit, due to short term memory issues.

Even without noticeable harm, head injuries can be weird.

They sure can. I think of the brain as a blob of jello inside a glass jar, which you can shake hard to make the jello bounce from side to side, getting damaged with every stretch and compression. Different parts of the brain get damaged depending on which direction you shake the jar, and how many shakes you give it. Prediction of brain damage is essentially impossible, other than that it will occur. Thankfully we have learned about neural plasticity, which explains recovery. Stem cells should help, and are probably being tested for this in Germany and Japan, etc. I hope the Hawks investigate this for him.