Mariners ‘19-‘20 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutz

Reaction score
Good sign. Obviously in their long term plans. We new he would be with the big boys in spring training. If he's ready for the show come April, great!

:2thumbs:

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3w476tke said:
Good sign. Obviously in their long term plans. We new he would be with the big boys in spring training. If he's ready for the show come April, great!

Defensively he’s been ready for some time now.
Put him at the bottom of the lineup to start and let him hit his way up.

Edit: Just checked his offensive numbers and they are better than I thought.

sutz

Reaction score
Kind of hate to lose Narvaez, but looks like we got decent value for him.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1ps4hm5w said:
Kind of hate to lose Narvaez, but looks like we got decent value for him.
I kind of don’t like losing his bat but defensively he was a disaster. Pitchers didn’t like pitching to him. His positioning on throws from the outfield was horrible as well as he was never in position to tag out base runners. Nola who hasn’t caught much is a better defensive catcher.

Rumor has it the M’s thought the 22 homers were a fluke and or a product of a juiced baseball, and they were trying to “sell high” as they have a little depth at that position, with Murphy, Nola, Cal Raleigh a year away.

Now the guy they got back I know nothing about other than a single A guy with mid 4’s era.

Prospect Insider has a decent argument for the reasons for trading the guy.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Maulbert":qf4isz7z said:
I wonder. Maybe it's 4 playoff appearances in 44 seasons. Maybe it's being the only team left without a World Series appearance. Maybe it's because they were more concerned about how a new NBA team would affect their bottom line than they were about fielding a competitive team. I grew up a Mariners fan. Jay Buhner is my favorite player of all time. However, those memories taste like bitter ash in my mouth knowing that every other major sports team in this city has delivered more while asking less. Even the NHL seems to care more about Seattle than the Mariners do.

The Mariners have done nothing in nearly 20 years to earn anything from me except my utter contempt. And in the wake of the Nationals WS appearance and win, I just feel a boiling anger when I think of the millstone around this city's neck. I loved them. But they poisoned that love. All that's left is empty, stone cold hatred.

I grew up a Braves fan... witnessed the horrible 80's and the run in the 90's. Been pulling for the Mariners since I moved here in 2011.

After the 13-2 start to this season I was pumped and purchased tickets to the 4/12 home game vs Houston which they lost... the first of 6 straight losses at the beginning of their 2019 spiral into the AL West basement.

I really believe the Mariners will turn it around... one day. Just don't know if I'll be alive to see it.

At any rate, I'll be in the house for the 3 game weekend series at the end of May when the Braves come to town. My first Braves games since they were last here in 2011.

Go Mariners!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1h78a97d said:
Maulbert":1h78a97d said:
I wonder. Maybe it's 4 playoff appearances in 44 seasons. Maybe it's being the only team left without a World Series appearance. Maybe it's because they were more concerned about how a new NBA team would affect their bottom line than they were about fielding a competitive team. I grew up a Mariners fan. Jay Buhner is my favorite player of all time. However, those memories taste like bitter ash in my mouth knowing that every other major sports team in this city has delivered more while asking less. Even the NHL seems to care more about Seattle than the Mariners do.

The Mariners have done nothing in nearly 20 years to earn anything from me except my utter contempt. And in the wake of the Nationals WS appearance and win, I just feel a boiling anger when I think of the millstone around this city's neck. I loved them. But they poisoned that love. All that's left is empty, stone cold hatred.

I grew up a Braves fan... witnessed the horrible 80's and the run in the 90's. Been pulling for the Mariners since I moved here in 2011.

After the 13-2 start to this season I was pumped and purchased tickets to the 4/12 home game vs Houston which they lost... the first of 6 straight losses at the beginning of their 2019 spiral into the AL West basement.

I really believe the Mariners will turn it around... one day. Just don't know if I'll be alive to see it.

At any rate, I'll be in the house for the 3 game weekend series at the end of May when the Braves come to town. My first Braves games since they were last here in 2011.

Go Mariners!
End of May? Ms should be 12 games back by then.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1lh8i9du said:
hawksfansinceday1":1lh8i9du said:

Most likely. I still think they are a team that will be making some noise soon.
Likely 2021 when the young studs are all up together (see Kelenic and friends) but they are going to somehow come up with some quality arms or it will all be for not.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23yqiqst said:
FalconsFanNW":23yqiqst said:
hawksfansinceday1":23yqiqst said:

Likely 2021 when the young studs are all up together (see Kelenic and friends) but they are going to somehow come up with some quality arms or it will all be for not.
Yep, all about pitching.
Wish I shared you guys' outlook, but I don't. I'm afraid they've beat me into perpetual pessimism.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sounds like they will be going big on free agents in 2021 season.

Lookout Landing has a nice summary of what players they could target at positions of need. Good pitchers will be there

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maulbert":324gm2gr said:
FalconsFanNW":324gm2gr said:
hawksfansinceday1":324gm2gr said:

Might as well be their team mantra. I've heard that every year since '03.

Think there is an actual long term plan in place this time though

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Maulbert

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1o1tz7xy said:
Maulbert":1o1tz7xy said:
FalconsFanNW":1o1tz7xy said:
hawksfansinceday1":1o1tz7xy said:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Believe it or not, I DO want the Mariners to win. I just don't have any faith in them. The Mariners are the reason I get so annoyed when the local Eeyores piss and moan about Hawks teams that consistently win 10 games a year.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1j539opq said:
Sports Hernia":1j539opq said:
FalconsFanNW":1j539opq said:
hawksfansinceday1":1j539opq said:

Yep, all about pitching.
Wish I shared you guys' outlook, but I don't. I'm afraid they've beat me into perpetual pessimism.
All pessimism of the Seattle Mariners franchise is well earned, and deserved.
I don’t blame anyone for those feelings.

I do however see the talent in the minors that is almost ready, that’s what I’m excited about.
Now does that mean these young guys will be automatic superstars? Nope! (See Dustin Ackley etc etc).
Kyle Lewis’ short stint in September in Seattle is hopefully a small glimpse of the success this young core will have.

IMHO obtaining quality arms is going to be the monumental task at hand.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3k3s5w7o said:
Sounds like they will be going big on free agents in 2021 season.

Lookout Landing has a nice summary of what players they could target at positions of need. Good pitchers will be there
Cool.
I’ll check it out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maulbert":254jeexs said:
Uncle Si":254jeexs said:
Maulbert":254jeexs said:
FalconsFanNW":254jeexs said:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Believe it or not, I DO want the Mariners to win. I just don't have any faith in them. The Mariners are the reason I get so annoyed when the local Eeyores piss and moan about Hawks teams that consistently win 10 games a year.

No doubt.

it takes a special kind of ineptitude to convince fans to get excited about the potential of spending money 2 seasons from now...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maulbert":qodio483 said:
Uncle Si":qodio483 said:
Maulbert":qodio483 said:
FalconsFanNW":qodio483 said:

(Fingers crossed emoji)

Well said and sums up my feelings also.
Oh, and fire Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.