Mariners 2019 season

sutz

Reaction score
But tonight was "bring your bat to the park night" for the M's. 10-1 bottom of 8. Leake pitched 8 innings. 7 run 6th inning.

Think we can hold a 9 run lead in the ninth? :pray:

Oops, tacked on a few more in 8th. 14-1 with 2 out bottom 8

They gave Leake the CG. 119 pitches 1ER. :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
Liking the new kids. Long and Moore as 2d/SS combo has been looking pretty decent. Holding their own until Dee gets healthy. Looks like if they find a trade partner for Gordon we won't be in terrible shape there. Long and Moore have been coming around at the plate, too.

Was liking the new outfield combo with Smith in LF, Haniger in CF and Santana to RF. Mallex has more speed, but Haniger is overall a better fielder and probably a stronger arm. Santana looks to be more at home in right.

Ump has had a really tight zone today. Hate it when they almost force the pitchers to chuck it down the heart of the plate.

10th inning. :snack:

...and lose it in 14. Oh well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
for the first time i am officially calling for the firing of Scott Servais. Houston's pitcher could not throw a strike.He walked the bases loaded and was behind 3-1 against Shed Long. If you are Servais, you dont have Long swing right there. Even the announcers were saying that was probably ball 4 and not a good idea to swing. As a manager you have to win those battles more times than not and Scott hasnt been able to do that. I think i've seen enough. Look what Craig Counsel did as soon as he got hired in Milwaukee. Look what Baldelli is doing in Minny. Etc. Baseball is like chess and you gotta make the right moves. You wont win every time but you have to prove you can do it. I haven't seen much from Scott yet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Crizilla":2trfeigo said:
for the first time i am officially calling for the firing of Scott Servais. Houston's pitcher could not throw a strike.He walked the bases loaded and was behind 3-1 against Shed Long. If you are Servais, you dont have Long swing right there. Even the announcers were saying that was probably ball 4 and not a good idea to swing. As a manager you have to win those battles more times than not and Scott hasnt been able to do that. I think i've seen enough. Look what Craig Counsel did as soon as he got hired in Milwaukee. Look what Baldelli is doing in Minny. Etc. Baseball is like chess and you gotta make the right moves. You wont win every time but you have to prove you can do it. I haven't seen much from Scott yet.

Been a lot of that the first year plus...

Let him ride it out but hopefully there is someone in the FO that has a plan for managing this team.in 2021 when it's supposed to go on it's run

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t see SS as a particularly good manager BUT, the talent level is the reason for this team’s lack of wins.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2m9gk3jb said:
I don’t see SS as a particularly good manager BUT, the talent level is the reason for this team’s lack of wins.

I dont think SS gets a pass though. He cost the team some wins last year and has this year with curious lineup, tactical and pitching decisions.

If the whole purpose of this season and possibly next is to find out who is good AND then develop them, do we really want a mediocre manager in charge of the latter?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":w9do5vzw said:
Sports Hernia":w9do5vzw said:

I dont think SS gets a pass though. He cost the team some wins last year and has this year with curious lineup, tactical and pitching decisions.

If the whole purpose of this season and possibly next is to find out who is good AND then develop them, do we really want a mediocre manager in charge of the latter?
I agree, but making the change this year will not have much bearing on win totals.
If you make a move you may do so if you feel you’re going to be bringing up a dearth of quality talent which I believe will eventually happen. I don’t see the M’s firing SS, but kicking him upstairs to another position in the Front Office when a change is made.

PS. Would love to see Joe Madden here after his contract runs out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
No... certainly not this year. I'm thinking next spring training earliest

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Servais is the same guy who was winning last season and received an extension in the mid season along with the bozo GM.
That’s when the M’s fortune changed.....

sutz

Reaction score
Give Hannniger some props. On the IL with a ruptured testicle. Actually continued playing after it happened. :shock:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":heein7xr said:
Give Hannniger some props. On the IL with a ruptured testicle. Actually continued playing after it happened. :shock:
Yeeeeeooooooouccccchhhhh!
The dude is so unlucky with fluke injuries.

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty nice win last night against the Angels. :snack:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":3jy7axeb said:
Pretty nice win last night against the Angels. :snack:

How about that draft though?!?!

(i actually have no idea who any of the players they took were, but LL was none too impressed with grabbing a bunch of college pitchers)

sutz

Reaction score
Encarnacion rips #399 and #400 career homers. Working on his trade value. :2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, well apparently the plate in Minny is 24" wide. Should have been bases loaded with 1 out. :34853_doh:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1ciiqu3f said:
Uncle Si":1ciiqu3f said:
1st and 2nd and nobody out and again... No bunt

You expect Encarcion to bunt? C'mon, Seymour get real.

I expect the team to play smarter baseball

And seymour?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3356uzj3 said:
LymonHawk":3356uzj3 said:
Uncle Si":3356uzj3 said:
1st and 2nd and nobody out and again... No bunt

You expect Encarcion to bunt? C'mon, Seymour get real.

I expect the team to play smarter baseball

And seymour?

Smarter ball? It's fairly standard in baseball, the home team can afford to go for a tie (they will always get another at bat), but the visiting team goes for the win. Simple. (ooooh? does Si stand for simple? :mrgreen: ) Plus Encarcion is one the Ms hotter hitters right now. Did you expect them to pull him and bring in a pinch hitter to bunt?

This is the Bigs, not Little League.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Big leagues? You should look up the percentages of scoring at least 1 run or 2 runs with both scenarios. It might change your "but it's pretty standard" condescending and ill-informed post.

1st and 2nd with no outs:
1 run: 22%
2 runs: 16%

2nd and 3rd with one out:
1 run: 26%
2 runs: 22%

You can do math, right? And I get EE is the "hot" hitter, but he's hitting marginally better than the two players who followed him. It's not like asking Edgar to lay down a sacrifice.