Marshawn Lynch on Wilson and Pete Carroll

keasley45

Reaction score
Do you hang out with or have everybody’s personal number at work? Or do you just go your on separate way when you leave work? No different for a football player
its entirely different in a team sport or any 'team'. Pretty much a common thread when you interview most championship teams and certainly for the team that Pete built here - personal bond and having eachother's back is paramount to success. You hear about lineman hanging out together, DBs, offensive players... its a common thread. And the issue here is NOT that Russ didnt hang out. Its that he apparently ALIENATED himself from those who were bonded and carried the identity of the team. Not answering calls or routing calls through your PA is a step WAY above not hanging out with the guys on the weekend.

I thikn Russ carried some resentment toward those he saw as getting credit for the success of the team, while he was relegated to being seen as the manager. The chip he's carried his entire life at being told he wasnt good enough... i think he assigned it to the LOB, Lynch, and anyone who he felt criiticized him or by virtue of simply telling it like it was - from his perspective, became an obstacle to his success, or the image of it. He then worked worked the system until the spotlight was his and his alone. He went from 'we are great' , to I'm great. From 'we win as a team', to 'I'm tired of carrying the team'. If you look at the psychological fingerprint of what happened here, you cant look at all of whats coming to light in isolation. Teammates and coaches from NC STate saying he played up his own character while pushing down others. Teammates in Seattle saying he wasnt a team guy and didnt put in the work to see the results the way others did. His actions prior to leaving when he unapologetically made his goal about the MVP chase and being great - and then labeling the defense as what was keeping him and the offense from succeeding. The venegeful way he went about slandering the organization and his teammates when he left, and before that, when he discovered they wante dto trade him.

You can try to look at each of these things in isolation and write them off as being the result of angry or jealous teammates. But when you have sooo many guys saying the same thing now, consistently and that his own actions in the circus he created in Denver support it, along with accounts from teammates there... Its bordering on 'OJ Simpson was framed' levels of insanity.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Do you hang out with or have everybody’s personal number at work? Or do you just go your on separate way when you leave work? No different for a football player

At my last several regular jobs (grad student and researcher at a university in 1991-97, pre-sales and production technical stuff at a software company in '98, everything-and-a-little-more at a software startup in '99, tech manager at an e-commerce company in 2000, technical side of technical sales at a tech company in 2001-2003, representing foreign tech companies in Brazil in 2004-2005, scientific researcher at a university in 2012-2017, tech and data person at a FinTech company in 2018-2019), I had regular personal conversations with coworkers outside work, went to happy hours and weekend events with coworkers, watched soccer games with coworkers, enjoyed barbecue with coworkers, etc.
The guy who got me into the work I did in 2004-2005 was somebody I met professionally at my previous job when the company where I worked needed some tech from one of the companies he represented in Brazil. I think that was in 2002. We became friends while working on that project and I went to his home in a really nice beach town a few times before he brought me aboard in '04.
Important detail: the FinTech company is in the USA, and I've been living in Brazil since mid-2000, but I still managed to go out with coworkers on several occasions on trips to the USA.

As far as I can tell, my experience is not uncommon. My parents always had friends from work. Right up until early 2020, my mom was still occasionally meeting with friends she made at a couple of jobs in the 1980s, and she met her best friend, with whom I'm still in touch (Mom died in May of 2020), at another job in the '80s. Two of my dad's three best friends in the last 20 years or so of his life were guys he met through work. The other one had been our family dentist, so they didn't meet through my dad's work, but it was through his friend's work. My grandfather had an insurance agency and enjoyed the company of employees and, after his agency merged with another, his partners. Hell, the Irish woman who did the housecleaning at my grandparents' house was invited as a guest to family parties and stuff (not to work - as a guest like any of the friends or family members who were invited) when she was working for them, and for many years after.

It seems completely natural to me that when I'm around people for such a large chunk of my waking hours, I end up finding I like being around some of them and want to see them outside the work environment. YMMV, of course. 🤷‍♂️

And if you watch and listen to Lynch telling his story, it doesn't seem like it's any different in the NFL. Lynch didn't expect Wilson to respond the way he did when Lynch extended him the hand of friendship, because nobody else responded that way. Wilson's behavior was anomalous and bizarre to Lynch.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Marshawn didn't have Russ's phone number. So he asks personnel for it. Obviously personnel didn't give it to Marshawn or else he would have just called him. Instead, it appears that Personnel reached out to Russ to tell him Marshawn was trying to get a hold of him. So Russ calls Marshawn. Does that mean Personnel gave Russ Marshawns number when they wouldn't give Marshawn Russ's number?

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
I was in denial about this for many years, but that stupid play call in that SB was truly the beginning of the end. The 2015-2017 teams should have at least made one more SB. It's on Bevell but also Pete for allowing that and coddling Wilson. Rusty seems like a fake dude. It's funny, because five to ten years ago I almost couldn't stand Lynch and I was a big fan of R , but now I kind of like him, and it's Rusty who seems like the total douche.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you about Marshawn. He’s extremely intelligent.
However I have met plenty of dumb people who graduated from top schools (including Cal Berkeley) and many intellectuals who haven’t gone to college.

Yeah. I can state with some confidence that I'm one of the most highly educated persons on this site, but I'm always careful to draw the clear-to-me lines between three concepts people mix up a lot: education, knowledge, and intelligence. I've got lots of formal education. That doesn't mean I'm smart.

I have spent a lot of time at some of the best universities in the world, and yes, I've met some truly brilliant individuals that way, but I've also met some serious dumbasses in the same environments. And it doesn't depend on area of study. When I tell people I've studied physics, math, and statistics, sometimes I hear "oh, you must be smart." I consider that nonsense because I've seen some idiots that have gotten through top universities with degrees in physics, math, and statistics.
On the other side of this, I've gotten to know some really smart people with very little formal education. My goddaughter's parents are both sharp as tacks, but neither has any education beyond Brazilian public high schools in poor neighborhoods. When the subject of flat-Eartherism came up because a guy on a late-night talk show down here was talking about flerfers back in 2018 or so, my goddaughter's mother came up with some criticisms of flerferism that I didn't, and I've had lots of formal physics education. My grandfather was a successful businessman, and his education only went as far as high school. He valued education highly, though, and he ended up paying for college for his two children and his four grandchildren.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Marshawn didn't have Russ's phone number. So he asks personnel for it. Obviously personnel didn't give it to Marshawn or else he would have just called him. Instead, it appears that Personnel reached out to Russ to tell him Marshawn was trying to get a hold of him. So Russ calls Marshawn. Does that mean Personnel gave Russ Marshawns number when they wouldn't give Marshawn Russ's number?
I think you have it. Like Marshawn that would piss me off IF that is the case be I expect my friends to talk to me no filters. If not they aren't real friends.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I truly believed, and still do that Russ has the worst representation and inner circle in the history of sports.

To not want the most respected dude in your locker room who's asking you if you want him to have your back, and tell him to get lost from a blocked number?

That's just crazy to me man. Just crazy.
Couldn't have said it better Sarge.

And from my observation, #24 was the most respected person on that team. The Seattle defense seemed to take on his personality to a great degree and he was loved . I also have a feeling that he just didn't do what he tried to do with anyone. It would be an amazing honor to go side by side with Beastmode.

I have to admit that I HAD a small place in my heart for wee-man and what he did while in town. I looked at it like a relationship he had with us that just didn't work out. What Mr Lynch said took away any chance of that. I don't perceive #24 to mince words or lie.
Hell, he wouldn't talk to the press for a year or two. (Funny AF)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better Sarge.

And from my observation, #24 was the most respected person on that team. The Seattle defense seemed to take on his personality to a great degree and he was loved . I also have a feeling that he just didn't do what he tried to do with anyone. It would be an amazing honor to go side by side with Beastmode.

I have to admit that I HAD a small place in my heart for wee-man and what he did while in town. I looked at it like a relationship he had with us that just didn't work out. What Mr Lynch said took away any chance of that. I don't perceive #24 to mince words or lie.
Hell, he wouldn't talk to the press for a year or two. (Funny AF)

Russ was a major factor in us winning our 1st Lombardi, and is the greatest QB in Hawk's history.

I've got no ill will towards him, especially now that we all realize we're better off without him. So it's all good man, IMO we'll love Russ again, just like we're now loving on guys like Bennett, Sherm, etc. who didn't exactly leave on great terms.

Time heals.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I do think Russ probably has always had a hard time relating to his teammates, maybe he has some sort of personality disorder?

Idk, but it definitely got worse when he met Ciara and started running in different social circles, etc. I think he's easily influenced by people who might not have his best interest to heart.

I mean, we've had these conversations for a decade. I don't think Russ is a bad dude, I just think he's a weird dude that has a delusional sense of how the world sees him. Like he's the last guy to get the joke. Or doesn't even understand it at all.

He went on Pardon My Take awhile back and gave the most boring, vanilla interview for 40 minutes. Didn't partake in the jokes, felt like half of it was reading off a script just to promote his new brands, and completely missed the vibe of their podcast. They sprinkle in occasional serious discussion but most of it is nonsense, and he just....didn't get it? Meanwhile Kirk Cousins and others who seem like they wouldn't get the humor absolutely flourish and makes you look at them differently.

Part of it likely is who he has surrounded himself with throughout his NFL career and the other side is he just doesn't have have social awareness, at all. I'm sure in his mind the best thing he can do for the team is work on himself getting better (isolated) but 99% of the locker room feels like he's above them - Pete shielding him certainly didn't help.

Honestly impressive how many of the dudes dislike him though. You don't have to love your co-workers but that was a special, connected team who all seem to feel the same about him.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
I truly believed, and still do that Russ has the worst representation and inner circle in the history of sports.

To not want the most respected dude in your locker room who's asking you if you want him to have your back, and tell him to get lost from a blocked number?

That's just crazy to me man. Just crazy.
Mark Rodgers has really done a terrible job for Russ. I mean he's made Russ a ton of money, so if you measure success that way, Rodgers has been great. But on all other matters, he hasn't been a good advisor. Any agent would have gotten Russ his money, but a good agent would have told Russ that if he was concerned about winning and legacy that the way to do that is not by alienating fans in two ciities and making a laughing stock of yourself.

Mark Rodgers' negotiations in the press, talking about what teams Russ would like to be traded to, etc. really hurt Russ and his reputation. It also convinced Schneider and Carroll that they were done with him. Rodgers and Russ also didn't understand how much Pete protected Russ from not only his teammates but from himself.

I don't know much about Rodgers. Does he have other big NFL clients? Or is he kind of an amateur? I can't imagine that his experience with Russ will bring him any more business.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't know much about Rodgers. Does he have other big NFL clients? Or is he kind of an amateur? I can't imagine that his experience with Russ will bring him any more business.

I'd imagine all other players would care about is the contracts, and Rodgers broke the bank for Russ what twice? three times?

I have no idea what capacity Rodgers has in Russ's inner circle of advisors beyond the money part. I know it's a cheap target, but I truly believe Ciara probably played the biggest part in Russ's public image PR nightmare downfall.

She had a backwoods fair concert tour cancelled cause she couldn't sell tickets. Then she latched onto Russ and saw all the potential in the world of becoming not only famous again, but a rich power couple. So that led to influencing Russ into making some really bad personal and professional choices.

Rat

Reaction score
People largely cheered Hutch when he came back to raise the flag. I'll be surprised if Russ doesn't see a similar crowd reaction. He and Earl may have more tepid applause, but the difference won't be super noticable.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He went on Pardon My Take awhile back and gave the most boring, vanilla interview for 40 minutes. Didn't partake in the jokes, felt like half of it was reading off a script just to promote his new brands, and completely missed the vibe of their podcast. They sprinkle in occasional serious discussion but most of it is nonsense, and he just....didn't get it? Meanwhile Kirk Cousins and others who seem like they wouldn't get the humor absolutely flourish and makes you look at them differently.

Part of it likely is who he has surrounded himself with throughout his NFL career and the other side is he just doesn't have have social awareness, at all. I'm sure in his mind the best thing he can do for the team is work on himself getting better (isolated) but 99% of the locker room feels like he's above him - Pete shielding him certainly didn't help.

Honestly impressive how many of the dudes dislike him though. You don't have to love your co-workers but that was a special, connected team who all seem to feel the same about him.
Great Russ story of an innocuous but revealing situation!

Remember years ago, the rumors of discontent that surfaced in the media, that Russell wasn't "Black enough" and that some of his teammates resented him for this?

BUT... What if the problem all along is that Russell wasn't "REAL ENOUGH", as exemplified by Marshawn's experience of getting a call from Russell on a blocked number?
Little by little, more tidbits continue to come out, especially from ex-teammates, about Russell's "FAKENESS" and preoccupation with his "brand", over all else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Part of it likely is who he has surrounded himself with throughout his NFL career and the other side is he just doesn't have have social awareness, at all. I'm sure in his mind the best thing he can do for the team is work on himself getting better (isolated) but 99% of the locker room feels like he's above him - Pete shielding him certainly didn't help.

I told you, I do think Russ might be on the personality disorder spectrum somewhere. When he goes into his word salad cliche mode, there's certainly a disconnect there.

But also again, to not have people in your life to kinda help you navigate through some of this to improve has always been weird to me. It's not hard, all fans, coaches and teammates want is to be more Marshawn-esque.....honest, genuine, real, vulnerable.

Mick063

Reaction score
Yeah. I can state with some confidence that I'm one of the most highly educated persons on this site, but I'm always careful to draw the clear-to-me lines between three concepts people mix up a lot: education, knowledge, and intelligence. I've got lots of formal education. That doesn't mean I'm smart.

I have spent a lot of time at some of the best universities in the world, and yes, I've met some truly brilliant individuals that way, but I've also met some serious dumbasses in the same environments. And it doesn't depend on area of study. When I tell people I've studied physics, math, and statistics, sometimes I hear "oh, you must be smart." I consider that nonsense because I've seen some idiots that have gotten through top universities with degrees in physics, math, and statistics.
On the other side of this, I've gotten to know some really smart people with very little formal education. My goddaughter's parents are both sharp as tacks, but neither has any education beyond Brazilian public high schools in poor neighborhoods. When the subject of flat-Eartherism came up because a guy on a late-night talk show down here was talking about flerfers back in 2018 or so, my goddaughter's mother came up with some criticisms of flerferism that I didn't, and I've had lots of formal physics education. My grandfather was a successful businessman, and his education only went as far as high school. He valued education highly, though, and he ended up paying for college for his two children and his four grandchildren.
I like your response. A lot.

Let me add to it. When you love what you do, you inherently become good at it. It isn't any different with educating yourself. All you have to do is love knowledge and you will attain it. Naturally. A formal education is the primary means to qualify for professional occupations. It isn't the "end all" for acquiring knowledge. A natural curiosity and a love of learning is, and always will be the single best vehicle for acquiring knowledge.

How can you tell the brightest people? They have an infectious love of knowledge and gravitate towards people that provide further exposure to it. They ask more than they tell. They often teach because they find out early that the best way to master any particular endeavor is to teach it. They understand and believe in the scientific method. They demand measured comparisons with quantifiable numbers. They only trust results that can be reproduced in a controlled environment. Their hunger for knowledge lasts for the duration of their entire life. They will be the first to tell you that, "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know." They are quick to determine if others are worthy of thought-provoking debate as opposed to just casual conversation because interesting dialog cannot occur unless it begins with agreed upon facts. Brilliant people are always quick to triage conversations in such a manner with their conversation partners often completely unaware that their dialog path has been "quick sorted".

You don't have to be formally educated to be this way, but it helps. It helps because formal education often enlightens people to seek such a life path. Education is their introduction to a path of lifelong knowledge pursuit that they might not have otherwise chosen. But it certainly isn't a prerequisite. People can be introduced to it in other ways as well.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'm completely past the whole Russ thing.

Pete & John's biggest mistake was not cutting ties with him much sooner in hindsight. Going back as early as 2018/2019. We would have been much better off for it. But thankfully, they finally did see the light.

toffee

Reaction score

You couldn't be more right, I had the opportunities to mingle with some "Rhode Scholars" when my kid was in the same school. If I understand correctly, minimum requirement for Rhode Scholars are recommendations by their college's president, or dean. Bunch of smart kids, but were I impressed? Not all of them.

Latest posts