Marshawn might still get fined...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":3bl9vofs said:
However I see this story as targeting fans of the other 31 teams. Seattle doesn't care and neither does Marshawn. It's an easy ratings generator for the media that has no impact on the game. It's about shaping opinion about the man and the team WAY more than it's about learning about the man or the team at this point.

I think there are a bunch of butthurt media types that are worked up about being told "no" that pushed for the fines and everyone else has simply latched onto it for the easy clicks/ratings.

Ah, okay, I think is the one place where we might diverge a little bit.

From my perspective there are two main players in this (Lynch and the NFL), and the media are basically just spectators in it, and reporting on it (gladly) because it's *something* to talk about leading up to the Super Bowl when a ton of talk is needed but there's not much to say. I do however, agree that there's an element of reporters being butthurt about it, which IMO is pretty understandable (he's thumbing his nose at their livelihood to some degree).

The way I see it Lynch is doing what he's doing for whatever reason, and the league is "overreacting" because it's a huge profit generating organization, and is essentially incredibly risk averse. They're terrified that other players will take Lynch's lead, and that it could hurt their primary revenue source (tv contracts) in the long run.

So basically, I think the league is obviously overreacting, but I put it in scare quotes because I kinda expect huge profit driven organizations to be wildly risk averse and to overreact to stuff like this.

I'm less forgiving of Lynch because he's a public face in an entertainment industry, and playing ball with the media is quite literally part of having that job. Nobody likes doing. Brad Pitt doesn't like doing, Beyonce doesn't like doing, Will Ferrell doesn't like doing it, Kevin Durant doesn't like doing it, etc., etc. All these people do it though because it's simply part of the job when you're a face in an entertainment industry. If Brad Pitt went on Fallon and (not as a joke) just repeated over and over again "I'm only here because I'll get fined if I don't show up" we'd all say "what a self righteous, spoiled *******." It's not different with Lynch, IMO.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1i0aez58 said:
Laloosh":1i0aez58 said:
However I see this story as targeting fans of the other 31 teams. Seattle doesn't care and neither does Marshawn. It's an easy ratings generator for the media that has no impact on the game. It's about shaping opinion about the man and the team WAY more than it's about learning about the man or the team at this point.

I think there are a bunch of butthurt media types that are worked up about being told "no" that pushed for the fines and everyone else has simply latched onto it for the easy clicks/ratings.

From my perspective there are two main players in this (Lynch and the NFL), and the media are basically just spectators in it, and reporting on it (gladly) because it's *something* to talk about leading up to the Super Bowl when a ton of talk is needed but there's not much to say. I do however, agree that there's an element of reporters being butthurt about it, which IMO is pretty understandable (he's thumbing his nose at their livelihood to some degree).

The way I see it Lynch is doing what he's doing for whatever reason, and the league is "overreacting" because it's a huge profit generating organization, and is essentially incredibly risk averse. They're terrified that other players will take Lynch's lead, and that it could hurt their primary revenue source (tv contracts) in the long run.

So basically, I think the league is obviously overreacting, but I put it in scare quotes because I kinda expect huge profit driven organizations to be wildly risk averse and to overreact to stuff like this.

I'm less forgiving of Lynch because he's a public face in an entertainment industry, and playing ball with the media is quite literally part of having that job. Nobody likes doing. Brad Pitt doesn't like doing, Beyonce doesn't like doing, Will Ferrell doesn't like doing it, Kevin Durant doesn't like doing it, etc., etc. All these people do it though because it's simply part of the job when you're a face in an entertainment industry. If Brad Pitt went on Fallon and (not as a joke) just repeated over and over again "I'm only here because I'll get fined if I don't show up" we'd all say "what a self righteous, spoiled *******." It's not different with Lynch, IMO.

Valid points about the NFL in both aspects (being risk averse as well as overreacting). It all started with the media filing a complaint though. The NFL wasn't concerned about other players doing it until the media made it headline news.

I can understand the concern on their part but it hasn't become an issue with more players and I don't recall who the NBA player is that has taken a similar approach recently but had the media not built up this story with Lynch, it wouldn't be a story in his case either. The media chooses what they're going to report on and the league acted because of the complaint. Their escalating threats are the result of the press pushing the story and trying to cast a negative light on the league for allowing him to do it.

cdallan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":sznq435g said:
YYZHawksFan":sznq435g said:
^^^ I know that he's technically compliant with the policy. It is implied and directly referenced throughout my post. We need not play stupid with each other, k? :)

Ughhh. Okay, so we're playing stupid with each other, I guess.

My point was that repeating "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again does not actually constitute "playing ball with the media." To pretend otherwise is, by my definition, playing stupid.

As I already said above, "He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so" so he's doing this instead.

no. you just dont want to admit you have not bother to read the policy that says "make himself available to the media" not play ball. go have a read for yourself.

he is honouring his contract that requires he comply with the collective agreement that requires he comply with media policy.

he has to sit up there and respond and do so for 5 minutes. he is doing that. stop playing games and expecting more or you are no better than those who are trying to bully him.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant by "playing stupid." ALL of us know that he is technically fulfilling the contract by just saying "I'm here so I won't get fined" to every unrelated question over and over again, just as ALL of us know that he's not honoring the spirit of the contract by not just answering the stupid questions.

This is obvious. It's a waste of time to pretend that it's not. Your smoking gun is a dud. It's a waste.

Basically, what he's doing is akin to a toddler who doesn't want to eat his peas mashing them all over his face and chewing them up and spitting them out and yelling "Look, mom! I'm eating my peas!"

Technically he is eating his peas, but, it turns out none of us are idiots (or pretending to be so), and just like him, we knew exactly what his mom meant and what she didn't mean.

And yeah, I'm comparing Marshawn Lynch to a bratty kid because he's acting like one. If he were taking a stand over something that mattered it would be one thing, but he isn't. He's just making a big to do over something meaningless and stupid that he doesn't feel like doing. So what?

Sorry, but technically fulfilling a contract is still fulfilling a contract. If the party that drafted the contract then gets upset because thd spirit of the contract is not being fulfilled, then go away and draft better contracts.

Draft harder! Always compete in your drafting!

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
cdallan":2lfohdfq said:
Sorry, but technically fulfilling a contract is still fulfilling a contract. If the party that drafted the contract then gets upset because thd spirit of the contract is not being fulfilled, then go away and draft better contracts.

Draft harder! Always compete in your drafting!

as an attorney....bing bing bing...winnner.

yup. but it would be hard to draft and would catch the antics of the bellycheater.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
pmedic920":3lgupcyz said:
Reaneypark":3lgupcyz said:
Oh well, the advertising for his brand is probably worth it.

ding ding ding.
I'm sure that his people or he,weighed that out.
That specific cap is sold out on his site.

Precisely, which is what makes all this fining of Lynch SUCH a farce.

I mean, let's say the NFL decides to really come down on Lynch and fine him (I dunno), let's say $100,000 for the sake of argument (to send a message).

Well ... go take a look at the polls right now. Marshawn Lynch has been the National Media darling of Super Bowl week thus far (and it's not even close). People are lapping up his defiant "I ain't talking to nobody" act like a pack of thirsty dogs and asking for more.

He's saying to himself, "Who cares if Goodell slaps me for $100,000 for my "unapproved" ... when sales of that same cap could net me 10 times that amount or more?"

You throw in there the Skittles ad, the Kenny Mayne Progressive ad, etc. ... and Marshawn Lynch is laughing all the way to the bank that he is going to buy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2i79hjeq said:
pmedic920":2i79hjeq said:
Reaneypark":2i79hjeq said:
Oh well, the advertising for his brand is probably worth it.

ding ding ding.
I'm sure that his people or he,weighed that out.
That specific cap is sold out on his site.

Precisely, which is what makes all this fining of Lynch SUCH a farce.

I mean, let's say the NFL decides to really come down on Lynch and fine him (I dunno), let's say $100,000 for the sake of argument (to send a message).

Well ... go take a look at the polls right now. Marshawn Lynch has been the National Media darling of Super Bowl week thus far (and it's not even close). People are lapping up his defiant "I ain't talking to nobody" act like a pack of thirsty dogs and asking for more.

He's saying to himself, "Who cares if Goodell slaps me for $100,000 for my "unapproved" ... when sales of that same cap could net me 10 times that amount or more?"

You throw in there the Skittles ad, the Kenny Mayne Progressive ad, etc. ... and Marshawn Lynch is laughing all the way to the bank that he is going to buy.

If you're going to look at it that way it's important to look at how much NFL players make off endorsements.

For instance, Forbes released an estimate on the highest paid players in the league in 2014. The highest amount for a non QB in endorsements was Larry Fitzgerald at 1.5 million that year. Peyton manning had the highest in endorsements at 12 million, but Papa Johns and Nationwide can shell out a bit more that Beacon Plumbing.

No idea what Lynch is making from skittles, but it's not necessarily an astronomical amount.

Also, by rule, all players must declare the amount they receive in endorsements to the NFLPA. Thats what keeps players from getting paid under he table in Microsoft money.

Just food for thought.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3qtiybdg said:
^^^ I know that he's technically compliant with the policy. It is implied and directly referenced throughout my post. We need not play stupid with each other, k? :)
But it's what you are good at! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2mx5i73s said:
Laloosh":2mx5i73s said:

Meh, if you (a reporter) need a quote from ML or any other player to do your job, then you (the reporter) are very poor at your job and should probably find another line of work. Reporters seem to have this entitlement attitude, when they really have no reason to.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3cr9n419 said:
YYZHawksFan":3cr9n419 said:
Popeyejones":3cr9n419 said:
YYZHawksFan":3cr9n419 said:
[
um its not.

stating this "and part of his job is playing ball with the media from time to time, even if it's stupid (it is), and even if he'd rather not (he would rather not)." clearly means you have not read the policy since it does not say that.

k....[again, why not read what is required instead of incorrectly stating what is required with your editorial comments]

Ughhh. Okay, so we're playing stupid with each other, I guess.

My point was that repeating "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again does not actually constitute "playing ball with the media." To pretend otherwise is, by my definition, playing stupid.

As I already said above, "He neither feels like honoring the contract nor facing the reprecussions for not doing so" so he's doing this instead.

no. you just dont want to admit you have not bother to read the policy that says "make himself available to the media" not play ball. go have a read for yourself.

he is honouring his contract that requires he comply with the collective agreement that requires he comply with media policy.

he has to sit up there and respond and do so for 5 minutes. he is doing that. stop playing games and expecting more or you are no better than those who are trying to bully him.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant by "playing stupid." ALL of us know that he is technically fulfilling the contract by just saying "I'm here so I won't get fined" to every unrelated question over and over again, just as ALL of us know that he's not honoring the spirit of the contract by not just answering the stupid questions.

This is obvious. It's a waste of time to pretend that it's not. Your smoking gun is a dud. It's a waste.

Basically, what he's doing is akin to a toddler who doesn't want to eat his peas mashing them all over his face and chewing them up and spitting them out and yelling "Look, mom! I'm eating my peas!"

Technically he is eating his peas, but, it turns out none of us are idiots (or pretending to be so), and just like him, we knew exactly what his mom meant and what she didn't mean.

And yeah, I'm comparing Marshawn Lynch to a bratty kid because he's acting like one. If he were taking a stand over something that mattered it would be one thing, but he isn't. He's just making a big to do over something meaningless and stupid that he doesn't feel like doing. So what?

A couple additional thought on this discussion: I recently read something from Sherman (I don't recall where) that Lynch has major anxiety issues when put in front of a group of reporters. Don't know the validity nor the medical/psychological basis for this.

Who gives a flying-f whether or not he's complying with the 'spirit' of their media contract. When a coach or quarterback or Goodell for that matter, completely ignores a question and gives his own pre-scripted answer, is that complying with the spirit of their contracts? If someone gives the exact same answers week to week is that complying with the spirit? So many of these guys give absolutely worthless answers, are Lynch's worthless answers any different?

And lastly, no one cared that Lynch wasn't doing interviews till one or two national writers (again, don't have the reference but maybe someone can help me out) got pissy because he ignored them. There are so many guys willing to give fantastic interviews: Sherman, Thomas, Bennett, Wilson to name a few, why would you spend so much energy to try to wring pointless answers from Lynch.

Rocket

Reaction score
Popeyejones":kwqti5yn said:
No...
What we're watching is a kid named Roger, who has the only basketball in the 'hood. Roger is getting pissed because the rest of the guys don't want to play HIS way so he's taking his ball and going home...

THAT is what's happening here... Roger is pitching a fit. He acts like a spoiled baby but he's got leverage cuz he's got the only ball in the 'hood.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
From Sherman's excellent editorial . . .

Under Goodell the league continues to put players like Marshawn Lynch in a position to be mocked by the media, which seems to get a kick out of seeing people struggle on camera. As teammates we’re angry because we know what certain people do well and we know what they struggle with. Marshawn’s talking to the press is the equivalent of putting a reporter on a football field and telling him to tackle Adrian Peterson.

Some of the same people slamming Marshawn for not talking are just as likely to condemn the Browns’ Andrew Hawkins and Johnson Bademosi for protesting police brutality with T-shirts. They want to hear us speak, but only if we’re saying something they want to hear.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/27/richard-s ... -magazine/

dutchman063

Reaction score
the guys an embarrassment to the organization.. dump his asss immediately after the game

Scottemojo

Reaction score
dutchman063":oy5r93uj said:
the guys an embarrassment to the organization.. dump his asss immediately after the game
fake ass troll alert.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":t3z78mgs said:
dutchman063":t3z78mgs said:
fake ass troll alert.

That or a really sour (and hypocritical) hawks fan...

RolandDeschain":t3z78mgs said:
Sigh, the downside of being the reigning champions...Bandwagon fans wanting to be seen.

85% of current Seahawk fans are bandwagon fans, even this forum most of its members have only been here 3 or 4 years

Found this nugget in a thread when we lost to STL in October.
From champs to chumps :pukeface:

My guess is troll. Hammer time?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Laloosh":2fk9jpam said:
Scottemojo":2fk9jpam said:
dutchman063":2fk9jpam said:
fake ass troll alert.

That or a really sour (and hypocritical) hawks fan...

RolandDeschain":2fk9jpam said:
Sigh, the downside of being the reigning champions...Bandwagon fans wanting to be seen.

85% of current Seahawk fans are bandwagon fans, even this forum most of its members have only been here 3 or 4 years

Found this nugget in a thread when we lost to STL in October.
From champs to chumps :pukeface:

My guess is troll. Hammer time?

4578efe5ae0ec3ace5b2953bde300f1ed1f30226e3f1cb448a

dunceface

Reaction score
Pete doesn't seem to have a problem with it...

"I think that you're seeing a demonstration of a guy being himself and not being what everybody wants him to be," Carroll said. "That's why you continue to hear our players support him. He's trying to do the best job he can being him.

"Maybe you don't feel that's what he should do, but that's what's going on. And in that sense he's being true to himself. We understand that. I understand people would like to see him do different things and handle things in different ways. He's not comfortable with that, so that's what he's telling you. He's doing it exactly the way he knows how to do it best.

"So that conversation about supporting the player that he is, we talk about it all the time. What it's all about is being a team member and he's an incredible team member. This environment just isn't one where you get to see him in the way you want to see him. You're seeing him how he is, and in that regard, it is what it is."