Marshawn might still get fined...

Jiggy

Reaction score
I wonder if they will fine Michael Bennet?

138890.jpg

Jiggy

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":p9xe3gew said:
Didn't Mike Bennett wear a cowboy hat?

Yes... looks like we were posting at the same time.

Unless Bennet got permission from Daddy Goodell, If they don't fine Bennet, the NFL definitely looks like it is picking on Marshawn. If they fine Bennet, they will look heartless as he is wearing it in honor of his friend that just passed away of cancer.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
pmedic920":2rnxpo1c said:
I'm almost positive they will pop him for the cap.
Those guys know the rules about apparel.
As much as it pains me to say it, if they fine him for it, it's reasonable.

It's a New Era (official hat of the NFL) cap and doesn't compete with an NFL sponsor or brand. How is that a reasonable fine?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This is a bizarre rumor. The hat is made by a league sponsor and therefore would not conflict with league rules. New Era is an official sponsor.

Greenhell

Reaction score
This is BS. Just like ADB said they want to get Lynch the MVP, I'm totally for them making that happen.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Isn't there some controversy that needs to be swept under the rug? You'd think they would be busy.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32wsb16l said:
uncle fester":32wsb16l said:
This is childish. Goodell is out to get him, plain and simple.

Really a matter of perspective, IMO.

I'm a huge Lynch fan, but is it also not childish to make a mockery of the process rather than just answering some stupid questions? From the league's perspective Lynch is able to make 8 million dollars a year BECAUSE of the very same media contracts that make players answer stupid questions for 15 minutes every once in awhile.

You have got to be kidding me.

First of all, you talk of making a mockery of media day? Really?
Media day is already a mockery. Or did you think a clowns asking players and coaches about the recent movies they've seen or whether they like Chinese food or whatnot is serious and profound journalism?

Second, even if Lynch were "childish" and "made a mockery of the process", is that worth a 100k fine? Give me a break. Those that bash Marshawn for making a mockery of something that is already a mockery and call for 100k fines need to get some perspective. Media day is a clown show and a joke. Everyone knows that, but suddenly people demand that it be taken seriously just because Marshawn Lynch won't toe Goodell's line? :roll:

pmedic920

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1u92lpj8 said:
pmedic920":1u92lpj8 said:

Fining someone for the wrong hat while the Pats get away with deflated footballs is reasonable?

Look, I'm a huge fan of #24 and I'm cool with not talking to the media, I'm even ok with the crotch grab.
The thing about the cap is he is promoting his own brand and they are strict about that stuff. It's not just something they are bustin' his balls over.

To answer your question, if they prove the Pats cheated they absolutely should be punished. Proof is key.
IMHO if they prove Brady did it, he should be Banned from the NFL, sounds harsh but it's how I feel. At the very least he should be suspended for a full season AND lose all HOF eligibility.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
pmedic920":2r1fhvl5 said:
dumbrabbit":2r1fhvl5 said:
pmedic920":2r1fhvl5 said:

Fining someone for the wrong hat while the Pats get away with deflated footballs is reasonable?

Look, I'm a huge fan of #24 and I'm cool with not talking to the media, I'm even ok with the crotch grab.
The thing about the cap is he is promoting his own brand and they are strict about that stuff. It's not just something they are bustin' his balls over.

To answer your question, if they prove the Pats cheated they absolutely should be punished. Proof is key.
IMHO if they prove Brady did it, he should be Banned from the NFL, sounds harsh but it's how I feel. At the very least he should be suspended for a full season AND lose all HOF eligibility.

Again, the cap is made by New Era. New Era is an NFL sponsor.

How mad would you be if you were New Era, paying good money to sponsor the NFL, and they went and fined a player for wearing one of your hats.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ai0w2k5 said:
Sounds to me like the league and the writers are looking for ways to punish Lynch for not being their lackey and doing what he's told. They'll look at every piece of film and find every little issue they can. It's become an obsession

At some point this starts to feel very racist to me. You've got a bunch of old white administrators and team owners telling a bunch of young black men that if they don't behave appropriately, they are going to take money from them... it's really quite offensive.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Oh well, the advertising for his brand is probably worth it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
hawknation2015":320xqb87 said:
This is a bizarre rumor. The hat is made by a league sponsor and therefore would not conflict with league rules. New Era is an official sponsor.

That may be a loop hole that saves him.
The main mater is not the manufacturer of the blank cap.
It's the fact that it's a "BeastMode" brand cap.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
pmedic920":3b9162al said:
hawknation2015":3b9162al said:

That may be a loop hole that saves him.
The main mater is not the manufacturer of the blank cap.
It's the fact that it's a "BeastMode" brand cap.
Yeah, if ML gets dinged, it'll be for the logo. Bennett's hat didn't have a logo on it that I could see. IIRC, he was honoring a friend he lost recently. No corelation there.

pmedic920

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":za9hr1mu said:
pmedic920":za9hr1mu said:
dumbrabbit":za9hr1mu said:
pmedic920":za9hr1mu said:

Again, the cap is made by New Era. New Era is an NFL sponsor.

How mad would you be if you were New Era, paying good money to sponsor the NFL, and they went and fined a player for wearing one of your hats.

Again, yes the blank cap was made by New Era, but it's a "BeastMode" brand cap.
As I said above he may get to sneak through this loop hole.
I'm thinking its the fact that he was promoting his own brand, that the NFL has a problem with.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here is the rule:
LOGOS AND COMMERCIAL IDENTIFICATION
Article 7 Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience
(including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or
on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or orally promoting equipment, apparel, or
other items that carry commercial names or logos of companies, unless such commercial identification
has been approved in advance by the League office. The size of any approved logo or other commercial
identification involved in an agreement between a manufacturer and the League will be modest and
unobtrusive, and there is no assurance that it will be visible to the television audience. Subject to any future
approved arrangements with a manufacturer and subject to any decision by the Commissioner to suspend
enforcement temporarily of this provision governing shoes, visible logos and names of shoes are
prohibited, including on the sole of the shoe that may be seen from time to time during the game.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... lRules.pdf

I guess this rule applies to Media Day because Urlacher was fined under this rule for wearing a non-approved, competing brand's logo. Lynch was wearing the logo of the NFL's official sponsor for headgear. New Era gave the NFL a boatload of money so that the players would solely display their headgear on the sideline during games. If the NFL is now claiming that this officially sponsored headgear is not approved for players to wear during game day (which I doubt they will), maybe New Era should file a grievance against the league to put them on notice for both their breach of contract as well as intentionally interfering with the contractual relations they have with Lynch.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Personally I think we should all go to New Era and let them know he's getting fined for wearing a New Era cap. And if they let this fine happen, we'll never buy anything New Era again.