Matt Flynn's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I like the guy. He is a proven backup in GB. If during the offseason , someone makes a good offer for him I would trade him and sign a cheaper backup. If not I am happy with him and confident if Wilson goes down we are OK.

AVL

Reaction score
I think he is traded for Spider-man IX on Halloween.

Ray 74

Reaction score
I would really like to see him on the field..... I was never a Wilson fan but im willing to give him a chance... so far its been less tha ok for me ..... the height issue i think its a real problem. Every pass he throws is high and never in the middle so all he does is throw to the sidelines or goes deep, never a quik slant wich would be great to see on 3rd and short for example....

Not trying to be negative but just dont see Wilson beeing the guy, not sayin Flynn is neither but would like to see what he can do...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ray 74":1l603gof said:
I would really like to see him on the field..... I was never a Wilson fan but im willing to give him a chance... so far its been less tha ok for me ..... the height issue i think its a real problem. Every pass he throws is high and never in the middle so all he does is throw to the sidelines or goes deep, never a quik slant wich would be great to see on 3rd and short for example....

Really don't know where to start with this... there's so much...

OK - first of all, the game plan on offense for this team has been obvious for two and a half seasons now. Carroll/Bevell/Cable want to run the ball and make it the heart of the offense. The passing game is used to make quick strikes using play action or bootlegs. It's no great mystery. When you see Wilson going deep more often than not that is the call. I'm guessing you didn't have too many issues with this when he was throwing bombs against New England? He's not being asked to throw slants very often. In fact, when he threw a perfect slant to Golden Tate against San Francisco, Tate dropped it. Perfect pass and play call, receiver blows it.

Wilson threw high about three times in the first two weeks and hasn't thrown high since. He's corrected that quicker than anyone expected. There is very little evidence recently to suggest height is an issue so far. He's finding throwing lanes, he's making plays downfield. He's among the league's best for tipped passes - in fact much taller QB's have got worse records here. He had an issue staying in the pocket vs St. Louis but has done a much better job against Carolina, New England and San Fran since.

Your post is like a throwback to week one - the first bout of knee jerk reactions.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1wsqnzql said:
Ray 74":1wsqnzql said:

Really don't know where to start with this... there's so much...

OK - first of all, the game plan on offense for this team has been obvious for two and a half seasons now. Carroll/Bevell/Cable want to run the ball and make it the heart of the offense. The passing game is used to make quick strikes using play action or bootlegs. It's no great mystery. When you see Wilson going deep more often than not that is the call. I'm guessing you didn't have too many issues with this when he was throwing bombs against New England? He's not being asked to throw slants very often. In fact, when he threw a perfect slant to Golden Tate against San Francisco, Tate dropped it. Perfect pass and play call, receiver blows it.

Wilson threw high about three times in the first two weeks and hasn't thrown high since. He's corrected that quicker than anyone expected. There is very little evidence recently to suggest height is an issue so far. He's finding throwing lanes, he's making plays downfield. He's among the league's best for tipped passes - in fact much taller QB's have got worse records here. He had an issue staying in the pocket vs St. Louis but has done a much better job against Carolina, New England and San Fran since.

Your post is like a throwback to week one - the first bout of knee jerk reactions.
:13:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Actually the first few weeks those same folks were saying Flynn threw a better deep ball and that Wilson had trouble seeing over the line. Now Wilson proves he's a natural deepball thrower he can't throw slants or short routes?
Ultimately we need some bread and butter passes and timing patterns. The passing game will come along with more practice. Our receivers just has a case of the dropsies because we played the best defense out there. Everyone was anxious to make plays but forgot the fundamentals. The coaches did not adjust to the scheming that Harbaugh employed after the half. Flynn would not have faired any better given futility of our checkdowns and bubble screens. It would have been interesting to see how he would have held up against this defense however.

Reaction score
Funny thing I notice about Matt Flynn....

Whenever you catch a glimpse of him on the sidelines,
he NEVER is near the coaches, involved in the game, (from the sidelines)
and NEVER is there to pat Russ on the back or offer any support, advice, or encourgement !!??

If this is a man who's looking to get a starters job in the NFL,
he ceratinly (to me) does NOT look like much of a team player ????

:229031_shrug:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":1bfbyidi said:

and NEVER is there to pat Russ on the back or offer any support, advice, or encourgement !!??

I noticed that starting week 3 of the preseason.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":35bged3e said:
glowingeyedseahawk":35bged3e said:

and NEVER is there to pat Russ on the back or offer any support, advice, or encouragement !!??

he certainly (to me) does NOT look like much of a team player ????

I noticed that starting week 3 of the preseason.

And here we have what really may be the issue, the guy has the personality of a shoehorn and couldn't get the locker room behind him.

The reality is a 3rd rounder came in and beat him out for the job, fair and square and now it appears his feeling's have been hurt somehow.

Until your paychecks starting bouncing Mr. Flynn, suck it up, become a true team player and be 100% prepared for your turn at the helm as that day will come at some point.

GO HAWKS!!!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Wow, some of you must think Carroll and Schneider are complete morons. If you believe they were dumb enough to throw what equates to a second round pick for Whitehurst and then gave Flynn a ten mill contract to trade away Jackson for peanuts. How in the world do you have any confidence they are making the right decision with Wilson?

Cell phone typing.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RichNhansom":7v9bsndm said:
Wow, some of you must think Carroll and Schneider are complete morons. If you believe they were dumb enough to throw what equates to a second round pick for Whitehurst and then gave Flynn a ten mill contract to trade away Jackson for peanuts. How in the world do you have any confidence they are making the right decision with Wilson?

Cell phone typing.

They were doing what they could to try to bring in talent. Not every team gets to draft Andrew Luck or sign a Peyton Manning. They did the best with what they had and I feel like they finally are happy w/ where they are at. They have their guy.... going to be fun to watch him grow. For the first time in a long time we have our franchise QB.

JS/PC have worked magic with this team in their tenure..... Im loving what they have done. :th2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
English, aren't we running a version of the WCO? Wasn't Bevell a WCO coordinator?

Wanting to run doesn't mean you abandon all WCO principles and so far that is exactly what it looks like.

Willstrong, yes everyone said Flynn threw a better deep ball in practice and preseason because he did. That is when Wilson was sailing everything deep
Wilson has improved his deep ball accuracy but that doesn't change how things went before he did and if you want to bash folks for changing their argument you might want to direct your focus on all those that said Flynn has a boodle arm and once proven wrong in TC and preseason they have changed to he couldn't beat out a third round rookie.

I think the truth might be closer to the personality comments. He might just be being held back for something related to that. It's also possible this is why Philbin wasn't overly aggressive in signing him.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tsizzle, I normally just ignore your posts for (to most) obvious reasons but you are the prime example of my comment. You seem to believe Jackson is ten times the QB of Flynn but it also seems to make sense to you that the let Jackson go at way less than half of Flynns pay. Meanwhile you are ignoring the Whitehurst deal and backing the coach's decision to play Wilson.
Common sense should come in somewhere yet somehow gets completely ignored in all of tour post's.

Maybe acknowledging that the coach's believed Flynn would be an upgrade to Jackson and then proved it enough for Jackson to be shown the door, would help your stance but writing Flynn off as garbage not only contradicts your belief in the FO but also says that Wilson was barely able to even beat out garbage.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think he asks for a trade and we probably get a 3rd rounder out of it to a very needy team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
There's no question in my mind that Flynn could be a starter, but he isn't one here in Seattle, but I think he'd turn KC or even NYJ into playoff teams. My issue with him is the sidelines stuff, dude just looks downright mopey. Be a man, Mr. Flynn from what I see, Josh Portis is putting in more work than you are when the QB or OC are huddled up with Wilson looking at stuff and putting their 2 Cents in. Now it might be different in the classroom, but we don't know that, none of us will never know, but I can only go on what I've seen.

We know Pete has an issue with players, 'specially QB's not showing leadership or willingness to get better (He called Charlie out on it last year sorta, and might've been one of the factors why there wasn't a QB competition between him and TJack).

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it's likely only us fans contemplating Flynn's (immediate) future. I don't believe for a second, unless he has absolutely stunk behind closed doors, that Pete would consider moving Flynn. We all like the potential we are seeing in Wilson, but let's get real, if he gets hurt we are toast. We don't have a ton of money in these two QBs. Flynn may request a trade....so what? He can request anything he wants but will get what he gets. Are we concerned that if we don't cave to such demands, he'll intentionally stink it up if asked to come into the game? Not a chance...that would be suicide for him and his future. Flynn just needs to stay focused and prepared. QBs get hurt...or benched, with regularity. Flynn will likely get his chance in Seattle and I'm sure he's aware of this. IF he enters a game and lights it up, he won't have to worry about the bench again. He ain't going anywhere, anytime soon...I'd bet on it.

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":3ncafzhw said:

It's only a matter of time before we see Flynn and Wilson doing this:.....Sancheztebow 250x300.......NOT!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if KC would offer up Bowe for Flynn, they obviously need a QB. I doubt it would happen, but it certainly would make sense for KC to at least inquire about it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
With all respect, we'd be crazy to consider trading Flynn for a WR that will command top dollar. Bowe is the deal, but there are WRs in this draft that we could get similar production from at a fraction of the cost.

As for Flynn, as mentioned above, not giving the atta' boys to RW, that is incorrect. I've seen Flynn on numerous occasions offer props to Wilson, as well as support. After one of RW's first TDs, Flynn approaches him, as Wilson sits reading film, Flynn says something and Wilson extends his hand, gives Flynn a nod and goes back to reading film. He did this in a way that suggested to me he wasn't interested, or compelled, to share the moment with Flynn. I was left with the impression these two are not exactly bros. That's all good, but I have seen Flynn walking with RW after an INT and again Wilson clearly did not want Flynn's company.

I only point this out because we do not know the dynamics between these two. It's unfair to blame Flynn or consider him less than a great team mate, if he and Wilson are not seen yukking it up together. I would say it's fair to say Flynn looks a bit dejected at times....that speaks of a competitor wanting to start as much as anything else. Let's not read too much into any of this without more information.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't want them to trade Flynn at all, I just wouldn't be surprised w/this crew. It's very important to have 2 good qb's on the roster. I like where we are at fo sho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts