Maxwell is not the top CB in freeagency

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He's really overrated, IMO. Someone will pay way too much for him, which happens all the time with marginal players on very successful teams.

Also working in his favor is that it's a very down year for CBs in the draft, and probably even a below average year for FA CBs as well. When guys like Maxwell and Culliver are getting talked about in the 10 million range, the smart money will just be casting multiple lines for CB help toward the end of the draft and in the undrafted FA pool.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30vy4d0e said:
He's really overrated, IMO. Someone will pay way too much for him, which happens all the time with marginal players on very successful teams.

Also working in his favor is that it's a very down year for CBs in the draft, and probably even a below average year for FA CBs as well. When guys like Maxwell and Culliver are getting talked about in the 10 million range, the smart money will just be casting multiple lines for CB help toward the end of the draft and in the undrafted FA pool.

He was the starting CB opposite Richard Sherman. That is "marginal?"

I can understand suggesting his value is overstated simply because he is surrounded by talent. However, he's not marginal by any stretch. If anything, the fact that he is opposite Sherman put more pressure on him, as he was targeted so much more.

I do agree that the current philosophy needs to continue in regards to players like Maxwell. Draft, build, excel, then replace through draft. Maxwell fits that mold.

MattA16

Reaction score
The RCB position has been a revolving door over the past 3 or so seasons and we have found success at replacing that position consistently. I think a lot of that has to do with out coaching staff's ability to coach up raw talent at the position, along with the friendliness of our system (safety help over top). Not sure if Maxwell is worth 10 million but considering he usually faced the top corners of other teams with success, along with the weakness of the corner position at free agency, I can see why a team would take a shot at him. Keep in mind free agency tends to inflate most players worth.

Leaves us in a position where were have to trust Tharold Simon to take over his duties, which scares me a bit considering how poorly he played in the SB and Divisional game. Although one thing that I've noticed on this board is that no one seems to mention how he was injured basically all of last year and much of this year, meaning he hasn't been able to practice thus hasn't had the time to be "coached up" like Maxwell, Thurmond, etc. I think this offseason could be a tremendous opportunity for Simon to start turning his potential into skill.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MattA16":1cwft1ud said:
Leaves us in a position where were have to trust Tharold Simon to take over his duties, which scares me a bit considering how poorly he played in the SB and Divisional game. Although one thing that I've noticed on this board is that no one seems to mention how he was injured basically all of last year and much of this year, meaning he hasn't been able to practice thus hasn't had the time to be "coached up" like Maxwell, Thurmond, etc. I think this offseason could be a tremendous opportunity for Simon to start turning his potential into skill.

Yes, Simon has played injured which means he hasn't been able to be coached up yet. But that's also a problem because that means he's always injured and we can't rely on him to stay healthy. I think Simon might be one of those players who has the talent, but can never stay on the field long enough to put it all together.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Except the games where he was thrust into RCB due to injury after the game started, Simon played respectably this year. I believe until the playoffs his advanced stats rated him very high. I think he will continue to be coached up, continue to learn and be better next year. In the mean time, draft another couple 5th rounders and decide what we want to do with Burley.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":yi7aq7n2 said:
Popeyejones":yi7aq7n2 said:

He was the starting CB opposite Richard Sherman. That is "marginal?"

I can understand suggesting his value is overstated simply because he is surrounded by talent. However, he's not marginal by any stretch. If anything, the fact that he is opposite Sherman put more pressure on him, as he was targeted so much more.

Playing on a unit when everyone else is an all-pro will always make a player look better than they are. It made Browner look better than he is, just as it made Thurmond look better than he is, and makes Maxwell and Lane look better than they are.

It's the same story with how the 9ers could keep on swapping out NTs (Williams looks very good, the former-bust Dorsey looks very good, just as the huge FA busts like Sopoaga Jean Francois looked very good) because Justin Smith and Ray McDonald were on either side of them, or how Ahmad Brooks bounced around as a marginal player until he was on a unit with Aldon Smith, Bowman, and Patrick Willis, at which point he made the pro-bowl.

Maybe "marginal" is an overstatement, as by "marginal" I basically mean an average to below average starter (i.e. someone you might give four or five million to, not 9 or 10).

A

Anonymous

* waves hand across NFL teams *

Maxwell is not the CB FA you're looking for.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I would agree he may be average and made to look better by the players around him. Marginal for me is a fringe player, which Maxwell was not.

Same basic conclusion, however.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ yeah, took a lot of words to get to it, but agreed. It was a poor word choice on my part. :th2thumbs:

drrew

Reaction score
The one thing I took away from that list is that it looks like Walter Thurmond is back on the market and I wouldn't mind having him back at a low dollar figure considering the Jeremy Lane injuries.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2jnxihst said:
Playing on a unit when everyone else is an all-pro will always make a player look better than they are. It made Browner look better than he is, just as it made Thurmond look better than he is, and makes Maxwell and Lane look better than they are.

It's the same story with how the 9ers could keep on swapping out NTs (Williams looks very good, the former-bust Dorsey looks very good, just as the huge FA busts like Sopoaga Jean Francois looked very good) because Justin Smith and Ray McDonald were on either side of them, or how Ahmad Brooks bounced around as a marginal player until he was on a unit with Aldon Smith, Bowman, and Patrick Willis, at which point he made the pro-bowl.

Maybe "marginal" is an overstatement, as by "marginal" I basically mean an average to below average starter (i.e. someone you might give four or five million to, not 9 or 10).
This post makes absolutely no sense and it's painfully obvious you don't watch the Seahawks. I just don't get why trolls come on here and try to make ridiculous claims. At worst Maxwell is a top 15ish CB in the NFL.

So you're saying is only marginal because Sherm, ET and Kam make him look better. Ummm...do you not get that Maxwell gets the ball thrown to his side because teams avoid the other 3...maxwell is constantly covering teams #1 WRs and knows the ball is most likely coming his way. That doesn't make him "really overrated" it makes him tested. Try watching him actually play and look at his stats first next time.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ynml3wam said:
MattA16":ynml3wam said:

Yes, Simon has played injured which means he hasn't been able to be coached up yet. But that's also a problem because that means he's always injured and we can't rely on him to stay healthy. I think Simon might be one of those players who has the talent, but can never stay on the field long enough to put it all together.

Exactly. If we're counting on him to be a starter, we are also counting on him to miss games. So CB depth is still an issue either way.

Sac

Reaction score
I should only buy Mega Million ticket if it has winning number !!

Winning number is the only number we should get for lotto !

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":23qwcg67 said:
This post makes absolutely no sense and it's painfully obvious you don't watch the Seahawks. I just don't get why trolls come on here and try to make ridiculous claims. At worst Maxwell is a top 15ish CB in the NFL.

:lol: FWIW the Hawks are one of the teams for whom I watch every game (including pre-season). I do this with four or five teams a year, and have been doing so with the Hawks for awhile now (partially b/c they're rivals with the 9ers, but mostly because I like a lot of their players and I enjoy the brand of football they play).

If you seriously believe that "at worst Maxwell is a top 15 CB in the NFL" there's no point in me trying to dissuade you, but we simply disagree. That's it.

So you're only saying he is marginal because Sherm, ET and Kam make him look better.

No, that's not the only thing I'm saying. You've cherry picked one thing I said in response to Uncle Si after he brought up the topic of the rest of the Hawks' secondary.

Ummm...do you not get that Maxwell gets the ball thrown to his side because teams avoid the other 3...maxwell is constantly covering teams #1 WRs and knows the ball is most likely coming his way. That doesn't make him "really overrated" it makes him tested.

You're just repeating what Si said. I simply disagree that playing with three All-Pros makes a player worse. Sherman's ability allows the Hawks to leave Thomas over the top on Maxwell's side rather than flipping the secondary to match the strong side. Maxwell has an all-pro protecting him over the top and an all pro protecting him over the middle and the Hawks can do this because they have an all pro lined up on the other side of him. We simply disagree.

Try watching him actually play and look at his stats first next time.

I didn't look at his stats. That said, I know you're doing it unwittingly, but looking at the stats would actually contradict the argument YOU'RE making, as if what you're saying is true Maxwell's stats would make him look better than he is, not worse (e.g. more interceptions, passes defensed, tackles, forced fumbles, etc.).

chris98251

Reaction score
Our RCB and slot guy get a whole lot more targets and have more defense chances simply becasue the league is sacred of Sherman and the possible fallout going after him, that means that the slot and RCB will have more completions on them but defend a higher average. You as a ciach know this and have to trust these guys to win most the battles which is what they do. Sure they get Kam and Earl as support, but you don't be the target for 16 games and not be very good, maybe not Pro Bowl but still very good.

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawksurething":3sdyarj5 said:
Its not what I think...its just what they have done on the field with their given snaps. this is how profootball focus rates players. Opinions are not factual data.
Misleading information is worse than no information and "factual data" that does not include team dynamics in a team oriented sport is misleading. That being said, FO is the source that relies mainly on data. PFF's selling point is that their rankings are opinion based and the result of grading individual plays while taking into account all the pertinent factors. The problem is that this is a closed process and from the outside you have to decide whether you are willing to trust a black box approach or not. I simply am not.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I like Tramon Williams, lots of talent there. Would take Thurmond back on the cheap also. But all in all, would rather just build through the draft. We're beat up, but hardly in a state where we need to panic and bite big on the market

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ManBunts":2v2ht17e said:
I like Tramon Williams, lots of talent there. Would take Thurmond back on the cheap also. But all in all, would rather just build through the draft. We're beat up, but hardly in a state where we need to panic and bite big on the market

I agree, normally. Unfortunately this is not a great draft for CBs.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
AgentDib":2mll0tm4 said:
hawksurething":2mll0tm4 said:
Its not what I think...its just what they have done on the field with their given snaps. this is how profootball focus rates players. Opinions are not factual data.
Misleading information is worse than no information and "factual data" that does not include team dynamics in a team oriented sport is misleading. That being said, FO is the source that relies mainly on data. PFF's selling point is that their rankings are opinion based and the result of grading individual plays while taking into account all the pertinent factors. The problem is that this is a closed process and from the outside you have to decide whether you are willing to trust a black box approach or not. I simply am not.

I'm keep it factual. Maxwell has a NFL rating of 81,which is only better than 81 qualifying CBs. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ay-be-key/

53+53=106. So max is the 27th best CB in the NFL. See how easy it is to see the true when you add up the data ? Football is a game of numbers & will. Max has the will,but his numbers are only 27th,making him a 27th ranked #1CB if he played that position. There are CBs in free agency ranked much higher for the hawks at less money due to media and opinions :)

So let's as the 12th man start focusing on the top 3 data players avalible at each position,instead of the top 3 opinion hype players,so that we may continue to have a solid roster forever.

Its my mission to make hawks fans the smartest in the world...get them off of the opinion boat,the get them aboard the data Boat ;)

Jville

Reaction score
hawksurething":1k4ohuhs said:
AgentDib":1k4ohuhs said:
hawksurething":1k4ohuhs said:

I'm keep it factual. Maxwell has a NFL rating of 81,which is only better than 81 qualifying CBs. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ay-be-key/

53+53=106. So max is the 27th best CB in the NFL. See how easy it is to see the true when you add up the data ? Football is a game of numbers & will. Max has the will,but his numbers are only 27th,making him a 27th ranked #1CB if he played that position. There are CBs in free agency ranked much higher for the hawks at less money due to media and opinions :)

Its my mission to make hawks fans the smartest in the world...get them off of the opinion boat,the get them aboard the data Boat ;)

LOL Whose choice of a data Boat? Yours?

Latest posts