McCloughan out of a job again

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And now they also have a starting quarterback they've alienated and is going to take his big franchise money and run after one more season. YOU LIKE THAT?!

uncle fester

Reaction score
So, honest question:

The 'personal reasons' he resigned from his post with the Seahawks - were they the same reasons he left a similar position in SF? Did Seattle & SF let him go with a bit of dignity, rather than what's happened here? (The assumption being those 'personal reasons' are the same reason he's been fired now.)

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
uncle fester":lp62ewuy said:
So, honest question:

The 'personal reasons' he resigned from his post with the Seahawks - were they the same reasons he left a similar position in SF? Did Seattle & SF let him go with a bit of dignity, rather than what's happened here? (The assumption being those 'personal reasons' are the same reason he's been fired now.)

FTA: McCloughan left San Francisco after the 2009 season for the same reason he's leaving Seattle now, to tend to a private matter.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-lose-key-executive-scot-mccloughan-to-resignation/

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
uncle fester":22bivwja said:
So, honest question:

Do you want the press release answer?

Then no.

Schneider and McCloughan go way back and were close. There is no way he would torpedo his career by making any reference to firing him for cause.

Let's just say this. He drinks. All the time. At work. Has been to rehab on more than one occasion. Admits freely to alcohol abuse. And not atypical of alcoholics, feels he can drink every day even at work and it doesn't affect him.

And his last three jobs he resigned executive level positions for 'family reasons'. The first one -- yeah I could see that. That was his wife divorcing him because of his long term alcohol abuse. The last two? Not buying it.

It's very easy to speculate that it was for cause.

That said, he's still one of the best in the business even if he's three sheets to the wind. I don't know if his alcoholism damaged his relationship with John beyond repair. From the outside -- not having to deal with the ramifications of his substance abuse -- I would welcome his football talent.

Chapow

Reaction score
drrew":2gipkqo4 said:
An alcoholic who decides he'll just drink beer and stay away from hard liquor is never going to be able to stay sober for long.

Seeing as how you can get just as drunk on beer as you can on liquor, I'd have to agree.

James in PA

Reaction score
Dan Snyder is such a fanboy owner. History of overpaying big name players on downside of their career. And just screws up everything he touches. So glad he's not our owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irocdave

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":37e6g9a2 said:
uncle fester":37e6g9a2 said:
So, honest question:

Then no.

Schneider and McCloughan go way back and were close. There is no way he would torpedo his career by making any reference to firing him for cause.

Let's just say this. He drinks. All the time. At work. Has been to rehab on more than one occasion. Admits freely to alcohol abuse. And not atypical of alcoholics, feels he can drink every day even at work and it doesn't affect him.

And his last three jobs he resigned executive level positions for 'family reasons'. The first one -- yeah I could see that. That was his wife divorcing him because of his long term alcohol abuse. The last two? Not buying it.

That said, he's still one of the best in the business even if he's three sheets to the wind. I don't know if his alcoholism damaged his relationship with John beyond repair. From the outside -- not having to deal with the ramifications of his substance abuse -- I would welcome his football talent.

Wish we had a "like" button. Agree whole heartedly with your post. The Hawks need another infusion of his draft input. It is now obvious mister positive everything (PC) is not the guy to choose NFL talent in the draft other than D backs. Especially on the O line, witch in this draft is a huge position of need, Sorry glass half full, love everything positive PC spews guy, that's not reality. Not in our menial middle class lives and especially not in the realm of super star athlete that have to perform on day one because of the weight of their draft status. The guy is one of the best at what he does for a living, let him do his job. He isn't drunk driving, or getting in fights or beating up a girlfriend. Why is the media witch hunt condemning him? So what, he drinks to much. Has he broken any laws? The PC police are out of control. Some one who sucks at their job gets a free pass as just sucking, but a guy that pours his lifeblood in to it but has a drinking problem is a villain and should be shunned? If you are one the few that are best at what you dop, you get some leeway. If your not in the upper echelon at what you do, whether your intoxicated or not, it doesn't change the fact your not good at your job.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.

Josea16

Reaction score
He's obviously good at what he does but not sure we can trust him to keep straight. Alcoholism is just nasty like that. I know this because I'm similar and have lost multiple jobs because of it and skipped opportunities to move up via my skill set because of the risk. I prefer be in lower pressure situations with much less money because even though my skills allow opportunities with nice money I pretty much know I would screw it up somehow because I drink at the level of functional alcoholic like him and if in a job with more responsibility.

He could be awesome at his job if you let him drink and don't add more responsibility or more jobs. Just let him do exactly what he was hired for and t think he may be successful long term. Remember though you're talking with a guy that is exactly like him with his exact problem so it's your risk, not his or mine.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":189df7kg said:
It's actually funny, Sonny Jergenson was one of the historically biggest drinkers in the league and partier.
Exactly true but it isn't 1950-60 and serious money is involved in the equation now. So the guys that write the checks are all about performance and hate the bullshit.

chris98251

Reaction score
Josea16":1ugkw897 said:
chris98251":1ugkw897 said:
Exactly true but it isn't 1950-60 and serious money is involved in the equation now. So the guys that write the checks are all about performance and hate the bullshit.

Money is relative, average income in the 70's was 9000 a year now it's 56,000, as far as performance he was doing that. It's the Redskins which is Allen and Snyder, anyone that is smarter or goes against the grain there is gone, the bodies strewn around are those of Icons of football in coaching and playing. Has been that way since Snyder bought them.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":3d7mmr8n said:
Josea16":3d7mmr8n said:
chris98251":3d7mmr8n said:

Money is relative, average income in the 70's was 9000 a year now it's 56,000, as far as performance he was doing that. It's the Redskins which is Allen and Snyder, anyone that is smarter or goes against the grain there is gone, the bodies strewn around are those of Icons of football in coaching and playing. Has been that way since Snyder bought them.
Chris, I'm trying to tell you alcoholism is bad and insidious you never know the tipping point until your dead. Chris, I drink trust me ok?

Even I know he has an issue. Think about it.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2is3ssxp said:
uncle fester":2is3ssxp said:
So, honest question:

Then no.

Thanks for the clarification. Given some things I've also read since asking this question it would seem that John may distance himself from him this time around. Clearly a great talent being squandered though.

mrblitz

Reaction score
i could imagine pete bringing him in for a talk and saying something like, 'look man, you can smoke all the weed you want but you gotta quit the hooch'.

sam1313

Reaction score
Want him back in a limited role if possible. Guy can sit home and watch tape for all I care because his input will make the team better. Don't allow him to create liability for the team (driving to work and such), but let him do what he does best and evaluate players.

chris98251

Reaction score
LolaRox":dv03wnle said:
Interesting, he told Mike Rob he hasn't touched a drink in awhile and that the real issue was that Bruce Allen had a problem with him.

This is an article about Mike Rob (giving a radio interview) talking about his conversion with Scot

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/forme ... 59989.html

Scot should be brought back with open arms, after all it's the damn Redskins, nobody has been able to get along with Allen and or Snyder, EVER.