Me3 vs Chiefs

RiverDog

Reaction score
With regard to Russell's plight, I was half wrong and half right.

Back in 2020 and 2021 prior to the trade, I felt that in order for Russell to get back to playing winning football, that he was going to have to change his style of play. He was going to have to get the ball out of his hands quicker, focus on moving the sticks vs. hitting Metcalf with a deep ball, become a WCO-type QB. His TT was one of the worst in the league, with the next oldest player with a worse TT being 6 years younger than him. His 3rd down completion percentage was the worst amongst starting quarterbacks, a reflection of his obsession with the long passing game. That's the part I was right about.

The part I was wrong about was that I felt that Russell could and would change his style of play to compensate for the skills he no longer had, that he was intelligent and perceptive enough to realize what it was he needed to do in order to return to playing winning football like he had in the first part of his career. To date, he has not made that change like I thought he would. I also think that I overestimated his football IQ, that he's not as smart as I thought he was, that he doesn't survey the field.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.