METCALF

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
irfuben32":2xbdi9n3 said:
I don't want to trade Metcalf, but the failure to maximize his talent has been frustrating. We need to make some deep playoff runs on his rookie deal. We have one year left.

In regards to Metcalf, I don't believe that it is solely on the team for failing to maximize his talent. Some of it, sure but much of it is on him. There are way too many easy catches that he doesn't bring in. There is a reason that Lockett is Wilsons favorite target. Russ knows that if he throws it to Tyler no matter where he will most likely catch the ball. There is a confidence in #16 as a receiver that is somewhat lacking in #14. Never once have I seen Lockett have any kind of a tantrum or emotional meltdown if he doesn't get the ball.

At the end of the day, it is DK himself who must maximize his own talent. BTW, he should not be traded. Pete looked for just this type of WR ever since he got to Seattle. That position is now checked off his list. He ain't trading him away.

Jville

Reaction score
I remember when Russell Wilson was first so excited about working with Metcalf. Russell expressed a Wilson to Metcalf vision that would rival the extraordinary Montana to Rice combination.

Haven't heard a peep about that in quite some time.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":2y5mluar said:
I remember when Russell Wilson was first so excited about working with Metcalf. Russell expressed a Wilson to Metcalf vision that would rival the extraordinary Montana to Rice combination.

I was wondering about that too. Jerry Rice made catches looked easy and routine, he did drop a few balls in the rookie season, but he did make QB look good from that point onward, Montana, Young, Gannon. I am not sure that Metcalf has been making Wilson look good, not sure if Metcalf couldn't get enough separations, or his route running hasn't been precise, or Russ's throws were often off a bit, but a good percentage of his catches were contested. I remember reading back in the days that Rice will always be where he's supposed to be, if the ball gets to that point, he will catch it.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":1e93r0ec said:
Jville":1e93r0ec said:

I was wondering about that too. Jerry Rice made catches looked easy and routine, he did drop a few balls in the rookie season, but he did make QB look good from that point onward, Montana, Young, Gannon. I am not sure that Metcalf has been making Wilson look good, not sure if Metcalf couldn't get enough separations, or his route running hasn't been precise, or Russ's throws were often off a bit, but a good percentage of his catches were contested. I remember reading back in the days that Rice will always be where he's supposed to be, if the ball gets to that point, he will catch it.

You probably also remember who Jerry Rice named as the best receiver he ever saw.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Hawknight":1o13udy5 said:
I haven't seen many threads about Metcalf and perhaps trading him for a high draft pick or another player for a position of need on the team. I mean with Lockett. Metcalfs a stud and all, but if we can get some help on either defense or the O line, this might be a good opportunity. Metcalf will eventually be eating some serious cap space in the near future. Just a thought.

As much as I've 'thrown shade' - and I absolutely hate that term - at DK over the last 2 seasons for being immature - well, I have to eat a tiny bit of crow.

Some of that was game frustrations. BUT, I think he needs a spanking and a couple years to grow up. I have a feeling he'd be a better overall player under a more authoritarian coach - but I could be wrong.

Don't trade him. Let him develop IMRO (In my recent opinion). If Russ goes, who knows what we've got coming in - BUT I think NoE could work with any quarterback, and DK might work better with a non-Russ. You could see that their mojo WAS WAY OFF at the last handful of game of the season - like almost vocal confrontations.

Keep him. Spank him. Develop him. He'll pay back - it's just too early yet IMO. He just needs a couple years. He's got the passion - just needs to be channeled.

Seymour

Reaction score
I have an even better idea to save money. How bout we sell Lumen field and use the money for the homeless and play at Memorial Stadium?? :irishdrinkers: :179422:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I have never understood the fans that want to get rid of someone with the potential of Metcalf. We need MORE pros and fewer Joes.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":286dipnq said:
toffee":286dipnq said:
Jville":286dipnq said:

You probably also remember who Jerry Rice named as the best receiver he ever saw.

The thing about great receivers, especially Jerry, they were double teamed all the time and they beat the double teaming all the time too. Our DK got ways to go before he could be mentioned in the same breath with Jerry Rice.

I actually don't remember, please share? thx

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":1r43ubrb said:
toffee":1r43ubrb said:
Jville":1r43ubrb said:

Steve Largent!!!

130131 largent

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":33ex0c6i said:
Jville":33ex0c6i said:
toffee":33ex0c6i said:
Jville":33ex0c6i said:

Steve Largent!!!

130131 largent
Yes SIR

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1bm18buz said:
I have never understood the fans that want to get rid of someone with the potential of Metcalf. We need MORE pros and fewer Joes.

Because you're going to have to pay him 20-25M a year to not be the focal point of your offense in a run first play action offense with a QB that's afraid to throw it to him on time even if he's covered?

beaumaris

Reaction score
hangumhi":18xy1m0z said:
Trade him. How can someone put him in elite categories when most of his stats are second best on the team behind Tyler? Skills players are much easier to come by than a great o lineman or a great qb. Spend the money on your line and save your money on skills players. My 2 cents.
Tyler a more important piece going forward. :2thumbs:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37o1mcux said:
JayhawkMike":37o1mcux said:

Because you're going to have to pay him 20-25M a year to not be the focal point of your offense in a run first play action offense with a QB that's afraid to throw it to him on time even if he's covered?

Hey - don't use your logic superpowers here dammit. ;)

Yea - when you put it that way - BUT, our new QB might not have the same vision problems, and I think it'd be worth a season or 2 with the new QB to sort out whether he's elite or not. I think he is - but he might just need a season or 2 without people EITHER not throwing him the ball, OR blowing smoke up his ass. I still think Dk could be a megatron type receiver - but not with Russ ducking him. As much shit as I've given DK, in a slightly different hawks offense with a different QB, things might just be better.

Status quo tho? I'm agreeing with your statement above.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ddores":2t6xaca3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2t6xaca3 said:
JayhawkMike":2t6xaca3 said:

Hey - don't use your logic superpowers here dammit. ;)

Yea - when you put it that way - BUT, our new QB might not have the same vision problems, and I think it'd be worth a season or 2 with the new QB to sort out whether he's elite or not. I think he is - but he might just need a season or 2 without people EITHER not throwing him the ball, OR blowing smoke up his ass. I still think Dk could be a megatron type receiver - but not with Russ ducking him. As much $h!t as I've given DK, in a slightly different hawks offense with a different QB, things might just be better.

Status quo tho? I'm agreeing with your statement above.

Btw, I'm not saying not to extend DK.

I just think some of you guys aren't taking into account anything more than "DK good, so keep DK."

Salary
Use in our offense
Not enough targets
Misused

These are all things that you need to take into account when discussing extending DK. In a perfect world we extend him and he IS a focal point of this offense and ascends to being the top 2-3 WR's in the league a lot of us think he can be.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Reminds me of Graham. Where he’s fantastic but will not be worth his value here given Pete ball. Trade him while
His value is high and plug the pieces that Pete needs to execute the football he wants to play (since he’s not going anywhere ).

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28bef7e1 said:
ddores":28bef7e1 said:
Sgt. Largent":28bef7e1 said:
JayhawkMike":28bef7e1 said:
In a perfect world we extend him and he IS a focal point of this offense and ascends to being the top 2-3 WR's in the league a lot of us think he can be.

That was basically what I was saying a 'chance' of having with a new QB. New QB => meet 'focus' of your offense

;)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
First three years in the league... vs. Calvin Johnson:

Megatron... 3071 yards on 380 targets, 193 receptions, 21 TDs, and 136 1st downs.

DK............ 3170 yards on 358 targets, 216 receptions, 29 TDs, and 150 1st downs.

And exactly WHY do you want to trade DK???

JustTheTip

Reaction score
First three years in the league... vs. Calvin Johnson:

Megatron... 3071 yards on 380 targets, 193 receptions, 21 TDs, and 136 1st downs.

DK............ 3170 yards on 358 targets, 216 receptions, 29 TDs, and 150 1st downs.

And exactly WHY do you want to trade DK???
And the Lions were still the Lions.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Big, fast, productive WRs put butts in the seats. It's the nature of the game.

Latest posts