Mid Season Team MVP : So far who is it?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2jcgtr8r said:

I would agree with this if he hadn't had a few terrible punts...I know he had a bad one against SD and another bad one against Carolina.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3h0n50i7 said:
austinslater25":3h0n50i7 said:
Hard not to pick Wilson after leading victories in the Denver and Carolina games. We would be 2-5 without him.

Doesnt it depend you we would be replacing him with? IMO hes been good, but not great per se

This is an interesting point. By nature of the position, a QB is going to make plays that are directly attributable to wins. However, can you assume a different QB wouldn't have made plays of his own to garner wins? It really goes back to the "wins above replacement" mode of thinking.

Hypothetically, if we were to replace Russell in those games with a league average starter (by passer rating and QBR, that would be someone like Kaepernick, Cutler, or Matt Ryan), would our win-loss record be different? My hunch is that this team wouldn't dip to 2-5 (as opposed to 4-3) with those QBs. I could be very wrong, but that's my hunch.

This is sort of why I'm giving the nod to Lynch. By DYAR, Lynch is the #3 RB in the NFL (behind only Murray and Foster). I agree with that assessment. If you replace him with a league average starting RB (e.g. Hillman, Gore, Lacy, Bradshaw), I think we would have had a much tougher time this season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":yao3fbcw said:
Jeez don't ya know it's gotta be Andrew Luck!

Seriously, I think it's Got to be Russell, not for his play but for his leadership through all this BS so far.
all THIS^ plus his record setting 100 Yards running & 300Yards passing game against the Rams, in the screw job by the Referees.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":hkb3o1yb said:
No one has earned that title...yet. Way too early.

That's why the thread is titled mid-season MVP

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Wilson > Sherman > Lynch = Thomas > B Wags.

If Thomas had held onto some interceptions that he should have had, he might have vaulted over Sherms, but Sherms has been playing out of his mind even essentially out of position.

Player that I am most surprised with - Burley. Dude has stepped up into a tough situation in a big way.

Honorable mention for most surprising to the O-line. They are really gelling as a unit and are going to step up in a big way in the second half of the season.

- bsd

kf3339

Reaction score
About mid-way thru the season I don't think anyone is or should be considered MVP. At least not IMHO.

Tical21

Reaction score
Tough question. I really want to go Mebane, but he was non-existent in a couple of the losses, so I'll go Sherman. Hasn't won games by himself yet but single-handedly won the Packers and Broncos games.

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1a3tziqb said:
therealjohncarlson":1a3tziqb said:
austinslater25":1a3tziqb said:
Hard not to pick Wilson after leading victories in the Denver and Carolina games. We would be 2-5 without him.

Doesnt it depend you we would be replacing him with? IMO hes been good, but not great per se

This is an interesting point. By nature of the position, a QB is going to make plays that are directly attributable to wins. However, can you assume a different QB wouldn't have made plays of his own to garner wins? It really goes back to the "wins above replacement" mode of thinking.

Hypothetically, if we were to replace Russell in those games with a league average starter (by passer rating and QBR, that would be someone like Kaepernick, Cutler, or Matt Ryan), would our win-loss record be different? My hunch is that this team wouldn't dip to 2-5 (as opposed to 4-3) with those QBs. I could be very wrong, but that's my hunch.

This is sort of why I'm giving the nod to Lynch. By DYAR, Lynch is the #3 RB in the NFL (behind only Murray and Foster). I agree with that assessment. If you replace him with a league average starting RB (e.g. Hillman, Gore, Lacy, Bradshaw), I think we would have had a much tougher time this season.

Hmm I get what you are trying to say, but somehow the numbers do not add up

Replacing Wilson who has nearly a 4/1 td/int ratio and 362 yard rushing(20th in the league in rushing) and 3 tds with no #1 wr, and the 21st ranked pass blocking oline

Cutler with has a 2-1 td/int ratio and nothing rushing 2 great and big WR and the 14th ranked pass blocking oline
Ryan who has a not even a 2/1 td/int ratio and nothing rushing, one of the best Wr corps in the league and the 12 ranked pass blocking oline in the league
Kap who has a 2/1 td/int ratio and at least some rushing but no tds, better wr corps than we do, however an oline ranked 28th in pass blocking

oh and some of these QBs have played more games than Wilson

So basically you think with any of these 3 who have worse td/int ratios and better talent we would still be okay.

Like I said you are entitled to your opinion but I will say Wilson is MVP with out him we do not win at least 3 of the games we won, and I have little doubt that none of the QBs you mentioned would have won us those games. What is interesting though is you feel we can replace our top QB with a middle of the pack QB and it would not matter much. That is undervaluing what our QB brings to the table big time. However again your opinion, one I do not share.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Defense- Richard Sherman. He's playing all over (and not complaining) and not getting the same help from a year ago (from guys like Earl) since teams are picking on all the backup CB's playing this year and the safeties and LB's are having to help those guys out.

Offense- Russell Wilson, no real need to explain, he's had some so-so moments in games (no thanks to the poor pass protection), but in the end he keeps this team in games with his legs and arm. He's a legit MVP candidate, and will be for years to come.

Latest posts