Mike Holmgren wants to coach the 49ers, per source

endzorn

Reaction score
Part of me wants the 49ers to maintain relevance because this rivalry for a couple years has been as exciting as any I can recall. I don't believe Holmgren can do that. If Holmgren goes to San Fran they are going to get crushed by coaches who believe the best way to combat precision is with blunt force trauma.

But the other part of me wants the two injury free wins every year.

endzorn

Reaction score
...and it's nice to know their third and longs will end in FB draws

Jville

Reaction score
Bay Area Sports Guy? ..... LOL

If some out of touch guy from the other side of the continent had of come up with such a head coach - team mismatch, it would have surprised very few here. But how can a guy living in the Bay Area be so clueless? Or ..... is he just feeding a captured audience a feel good tonic?

I find the inference that the Bay Area Sports Guy is included on an "approved list" ..... an amusing revelation.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Holmgren as has been stated would break Kap. The timing based routes the LOB would break. The finesse offense would be eaten alive by not only the Hawks but could put the 49ers in the basement for yrs. Heck why am I trying to discourage this Jed please make this hire. Think of the glory days ignore that the division has changed go pure west coast offense. Ignore that the nfc isn't any longer a division of also rans. Think Walsh in his glory and hire Holmie now.

irocdave

Reaction score
Be careful for what you wish for. Holmy would break that team down to 4 & 12 level then try and build it back up to fit his system. Kap wont make it. The D will be a necessary evil, hire guys off the street, just slow them down and let the O take over, that's Holmy's mentality. Holmy was a good coach but honestly it was tough watching him dismantle a team that was playoff worthy because it wasn't "his" team. Especially after the long drought that seems to be why most ignorant NFL fans think the Hawks have never been relevant.

I cant forget the conversation I had with a couple from Wisconsin while on vacation in Cancun in 2000. They were die hard Packers and asked me and my wife what we thought about Holmy. I told them they could take him back at any time. They laughed and said no thanks.

He did deliver in Seattle and is a great guy that still spends time here but his teams would be shredded by the current teams in the NFC west. Unless he stumbles upon a Walter Jones at LT, Steve Hutchinson at LG, and a great running back along with a QB that fits his mold. Walt was the best to ever play LT so don't assume an equal is in the draft every year.

Homly in Santa Clara would not end well for niner fans. Unless of course the other coaches in the NFC west call it a day and walk away from the game.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Scottemojo":p5wagk2g said:
5_Golden_Rings":p5wagk2g said:
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/san-francisco-49ers-head-coach-mike-holmgren-interested/

Former San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Holmgren is highly interested in becoming the 49ers’ next head coach, according to a source who spoke with Holmgren.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/15/ ... lly-season

What would you Seahawk fans think of that? Holmgren back in the Bay area?

If this happens, expect Kaepernick to become a real NFL QB, 66 years old or no. Holmgren has already turned Steve Young, Brett Favre (19 TDs to 24 INTs before Holmgren got through to him; 33 TDs to 14 INTs the next season) and Matt Hasselbeck into legitimate NFL QBs. He even made Trent Dilfer look good for half a season. Of course, knowing Jed York and Trent Baalke, they'll want a yes man after the Harbaugh fiasco. I can't imagine them bringing him in. Particularly considering that Baalke is a Parcell's disciple.

But on the other hand, such a move would greatly mollify the masses, which would make it rather prudent, if Holmgren were to accept only coaching.

How would you guys feel if Mike Holmgren became the next 49er coach? Nostalgic? Angry? Humored?
Holmgren is a system, and you need to trust Hawk fans telling you Kaep doesn't fit the system.

Holmgren always despised the gun. Loves under center plays. His routes are timed to the step, and he is on record as saying a QBs passes need to be delivered in an area the size of a bread box.

Even if he likes Kaepernick's talents, he tries to break his quarterbacks down. Favre without Holmgren became an interception AND playmaking machine, Hass without Holmgren was a disaster, so I know why you think he is a QB whisperer, but Kaepernick has been coddled for his pro career, and Holmgren doesn't have that ability in him. Of recent, Kaep has had difficulty with the short passing Roman has tried to get him to do. Kaep's nature is to look for bigger plays. Holmgren would shred him. Dilfer fit with Holmgren because Holmgren didn't really care that Trent couldn't go big. He could hit the small, close windows.

Here is what would happen. Holmgren would say the right things about Kaep at his opening presser, then he and Baalke, assuming they can even fit their egos into the same room, would call every QB hungry team in the league trying to get a 1 for him. Then Holmgren would find a QB he thinks he can work with, and you all would scratch your heads. A Garoppolo type guy. He would overpay for him, whatever it takes to get him. ANd then you would suffer for a year or two while he breaks him down and builds him back up. All the while, getting his type receivers and tight ends, playing vets instead of developing younger guys, and building a defense complimentary to the offense, not stifling, but meant to protect a lead.

And every time you Niner fans cried about a third down draw, we would LOLOLOL.

Lol trust Hawk fans? You forget that Holmgren was with the 49ers long before he was with Seattle.

I think the key part of your response is this:

"Favre without Holmgren became and interception AND playmaking machine." Sounds familiar.

As far as Holmgren not being a "QB whisperer," name another coach who:

1. Was there when Montana had his best years
2. Turned Steve Young from an athlete and 8th string quarterback in college to a top draft prospect (at BYU, before he worked with Bill Walsh)
3. Helped groom Steve Young from a running quarterback to a WCO quarterback who could run
4. Turned Brett Favre from an interception machine to a system QB
5. Made Hasselbeck good enough to go to 3 Pro Bowls
6. Made Ty Detmer seem like a good signing after he left Green Bay
7. Helped develop Mark Brunnel early in his career before he left for Jacksonville
8. Made Trent Dilfer look respectable

Yes, he's had failures, but the list of QBs who have either had long term success or at least played a while in the league is pretty staggering. If there is any such thing as a "QB Whisperer," and that is certainly debatable, but if there is such a thing, Mike Holmgren is it.

Given what we 49er fans know about the 49ers current system (ZERO sight adjustments for blitzes, WRs don't adjust route depth for first down markers, don't adjust for blitzes, etc), even an over the hill Holmgren would probably be an upgrade. The fact is, DICK FANGIO is the reason the 49ers have been good three of the last four years, not Harbaugh or Roman.

And if Kaepernick can't learn it, despite being very similar to Favre early in his career, well, there's Blaine Gabbert waiting to learn something.

OF COURSE, this is all premature speculation. Just because Holmgren is interested doesn't mean he's interested enough, and it doesn't mean York/Baalke are interested in hiring him.

Jville":p5wagk2g said:
Bay Area Sports Guy? ..... LOL

If some out of touch guy from the other side of the continent had of come up with such a head coach - team mismatch, it would have surprised very few here. But how can a guy living in the Bay Area be so clueless? Or ..... is he just feeding a captured audience a feel good tonic?

I find the inference that the Bay Area Sports Guy is included on an "approved list" ..... an amusing revelation.
The source is far more accurate than ESPN or most other mainstream source. Has had several huge reveals, including Kap's contract recently.

Often times Bay Area Sports Guy IS the source for NFL.com or ESPN.

Laloosh

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":197ld6gc said:
Lol trust Hawk fans? You forget that Holmgren was with the 49ers long before he was with Seattle.

Aww, that's cute. Are Niner fans now "claiming" him?

Holmgren's made it pretty clear in his weekly radio show up here that he's not a big Kaepernick fan. There's a reason I joked about seeing Hasselbeck in a Niner jersey if Holmgren were to go to Santa Clara.

Latest posts