Mone realeased

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
So where do we sit now with the cap I have heard between 37 and 40 and then we got this $$...so???

QWERTY

Reaction score
Around 40.

But still missing 2 guards, center, 3 tight ends.
3 lb's 2 safeties and DT.

flv2

Reaction score
The defensive front 6 outside of Nwosu and Williams aren't good enough to be starters on a good NFL defense. Keep the best value back-ups you have for now and move on from the rest.

I was thinking Lockett was more likely than not to be cut or offered a pay cut when I thought he was due $17.95M and the cap was expected to be $243M. At $17M and the cap rising steeply to $255M i'm leaning towards retaining him, but it's marginal. Best wishes to the GM with the difficult decisions ahead.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think Lockett is my favorite all time Seahawks receiver. His toe tap receptions over the years are a marvel, and he comports himself so well. Classy guy and even better player. I wish him well no matter what happens.

Regarding Mone, I assume they would replace him via free agency? We have so many needs in the draft.

James in PA

Reaction score
Suddenly our salary cap situation isn't looking so bad! I trust John and MM won't approach this offseason with the Pete Carroll "we're just 1 player away, so do whatever it takes" mindset.

nanomoz

Reaction score
No injury settlement? If so, that's great news.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Why not just release or trade Lockett now? He’s the third most expensive player, and his production has declined with more targets going to Jsn and DK.

If Lockett plays for the Seahawks this season, he will use close to $27M of the Seahawks' 2024 cap space.
If Lockett is cut or traded, he will use close to $20M of the Seahawks' 2024 cap space.

Lockett is very likely to be worth the $7M difference.

Fade

Reaction score
The salary cap is so flexible it's not really worth hand wringing over it..

Teams can always create more space if they ever need it.

That being said, it feels good that they cut the guys I wanted to see cut.

Lockett is here for 1 more season, unless a team is willing to give up a good pick for him.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
With how good, how deep this OT class is you have Bradford, and a possibility of moving Lucas, Forsythe, or Curhan? inside at OG if need be.

Olu Olu imo is still a prospect capable of starting until he isn’t, Huff has done more with less at UW.

You obviously have to believe Seahawks are going to sign 1 of their TEs back probably Parkinson. But also feel like they aren’t necessarily looking for WR types but Blockers at the position. Dissly was just too expensive as being just a blocker type. My feeling they will add a veteran on the cheap like CJ Uzomah and look to draft another like Jack Westover on day 3 or UDFA.

DT is reasonable guise but you got 2nd year players in Young and Morris that you can build off, the latter of the two, MacDonald will probably have a better idea how utilize better and Reed. Big Cat might come back but if not this class looks at least better on paper then it did last year and you keep churning bodies and hope one sticks.

LBers are more iffy, if they make any splashes in FA I would have to believe it’s at this position. And I think they’ll retain one of a Brooks, Wagner, or Bush. Lotta people want to break the bank for Queen or bring Brooks back, I’m kind of hoping to go the dark horse route like they did with Nwosu and grab someone like Tyreel Dodson from the Bills.

Safety is the least of my concerns, you have a solid trending up player in Love and you still got guys like Bryant, Reed, Okada, and Sutherland who could possibly be developed to step-up plus a lot of veteran options who’ve been cut and won’t figure into the comp formula. Much rather watch a cheaper or younger player make mistakes with the opportunity to learn and grow from it than watching highly paid veterans and supposed leaders make similar mistakes without accountability for their performances.

The one thing I’m learning, learned from MacDonald’s time with the Ravens he’s had a knack of making the most out or at least putting them in positions to succeed in the veteran FAs the Ravens signed for his defense without them really breaking out the bank for those players. Whether he had a hand in identifying those players, I don’t know. But if so, I’m fine if the Seahawks aren’t looking for big time splashes just little ones that make fiscal and schematic sense.

keasley45

Reaction score
In my opinion Mone should have been released a year ago. Should have been the first to get released. He has never did anything to earn that kind of money.
Because of injury protections, they had to basically keep him a year and hope he made it back. Cutting him before now wasn't really am option.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The salary cap is so flexible it's not really worth hand wringing over it..

Teams can always create more space if they ever need it.

That being said, it feels good that they cut the guys I wanted to see cut.

Lockett is here for 1 more season, unless a team is willing to give up a good pick for him.
I'm sure they asked you first.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
In my opinion Mone should have been released a year ago. Should have been the first to get released. He has never did anything to earn that kind of money.
Maybe so but after his 2021 campaign where he had 2 sacks, 3 hurries, 2 hits, a forced fumble and 17 stops in just 389 snaps they were probably thinking they might have something. Then he regressed in 2022 and got hurt in 2023. He was a beast at Michigan but not so much in the NFL. Time to move on.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Because of injury protections, they had to basically keep him a year and hope he made it back. Cutting him before now wasn't really am option.
I thought we could have released him with an injury settlement.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe so but after his 2021 campaign where he had 2 sacks, 3 hurries, 2 hits, a forced fumble and 17 stops in just 389 snaps they were probably thinking they might have something. Then he regressed in 2022 and got hurt in 2023. He was a beast at Michigan but not so much in the NFL. Time to move on.
Yeah, the coaching staff may have jumped the gun on him with his contract.