More from Doug Baldwin

OP
OP
M

MVP53

Reaction score
drdiags":2urvnzof said:
I agree MVP53. I think celebs and athletes that participate with Twitter have to know that they need thick skin to deal with the folks that post crazy stuff to them. It's an easy, virtual connection for folks to interact with celebs unlike before. It also provides a shield which emboldens fans to cross the line because there usually are no consequences. They can then boast to their buds that they did "Tell it to his face" when criticizing a team player or celebrity.

And responding just proves to the dimwits that their vitriol is heard.

Doug Baldwin should heed the term, "don't feed the trolls".

Sac

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2wpd3km2 said:
pocketprotector":2wpd3km2 said:
HawkinNY":2wpd3km2 said:
Honestly I wish Doug would just shut up. I know he has good points but my god every week he complains about something.

Couldn't agree more. His whiny little b*tch routine is really tiresome (WLBDB).

I just wish one of these players would show a little self awareness about the absurdity of getting paid millions to catch a football.

Doesn't he realize that it is because of the fervor of the fans that players with bottom of the barrel contracts can make in 3.5 seasons what the average American makes over the span of 70 years.

You're ridiculous. Why don't you complain about ticket, merchandise, prices and ad revenue the NFL gets? That's the reason the players get paid what they do. The market has already dictated what their services are worth. If their pay is absurd, you supporting the sport is even more so.

The players deserve whatever the market will give them. Sometimes more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MVP53":1j834iv7 said:
DavidSeven":1j834iv7 said:
There's a bunch of hate-tweets being thrown at Tate on Twitter right now. It's embarrassing.

I see a lot more tweets from excited Lions fans & bummed out (although not insulting) Seahawk fans.

As with most things, I suppose, the few idiots get most of the focus.

Yeah, I'm sure that's probably true. I just happened to read his Tweet thanking Seattle and noticed the first several responses were profanities hurled at him. I'm sure those dudes get swiftly blocked and aren't representative of the general response he's getting.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MVP53":3rmdiqeb said:
Doug Baldwin is a nice player and a smart guy, and I know he likes to play with a chip on his shoulder. But, I think the commentaries about fan reaction & the league & the media are getting old. I assume I'm in the minority on that.

Im getting sick of his act tbh.

canfan

Reaction score
I read the article from ESPN and I don't get the impression he is flaming anybody. He just wants to present his view of the subject. Everything he said was factual.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I like my players to just take their damn money, shut the hell up, and be robots. And to sign for the minimum every time

Killa Kam

Reaction score
canfan":2dammd4l said:
I read the article from ESPN and I don't get the impression he is flaming anybody. He just wants to present his view of the subject. Everything he said was factual.
:13: :sarcasm_off:

From Coach Carroll himself, this is honestly one of my favorite things about our team. The different personalities we get to see from players like Earl, Sherm, RW Beast Mode, and Baldwin. Some them are more reserved (Beast Mode/Earl) and others have no problem letting you know exactly whats on their mind (Sherm/Dougie)

“We don’t let them be themselves, we celebrate them being themselves,” Carroll said. “We cheerlead for them to be themselves, and we try to bring out the very best that they have to offer. … That’s kind of how we operate. It may sound different to you, but that’s how we do it.”

“I’m trying to help our team be great and play great football and do this game the way we’re supposed to do it. I don’t want to miss out on somebody because maybe they’re not like me. … I’m OK with that.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/02/1 ... rylink=cpy

dracolich81

Reaction score
I agree with ADB 100%. But I think that every situation is different. Let's use Tate as an example. When Tate publicly says he will take less to stay here and I quote " I would rather take a little less to stay, then go to a crappy city and win a few games for a little bit more" he sets an expectation with most fans. Us here take what he said with a grain of salt, but most NFL fans don't.
In a situation like this, you have to expect flak to be thrown at Tate by the majority of fans.
Free agents should be mindful of what they say publicly and also expect backlash when they go back on what they say, most fans will believe you.
But I agree, don't hate on players for taking the money, we all would do the same

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dracolich81":1oxunwdi said:
I agree with ADB 100%. But I think that every situation is different. Let's use Tate as an example. When Tate publicly says he will take less to stay here and I quote " I would rather take a little less to stay, then go to a crappy city and win a few games for a little bit more" he sets an expectation with most fans. Us here take what he said with a grain of salt, but most NFL fans don't.
In a situation like this, you have to expect flak to be thrown at Tate by the majority of fans.
Free agents should be mindful of what they say publicly and also expect backlash when they go back on what they say, most fans will believe you.
But I agree, don't hate on players for taking the money, we all would do the same
Then THOSE "MOST of those NFL FANS" are being completely unrealistic, because offering to take a hometown discount is one thing, but expecting him to grab his ankles and brace himself for about a 2 Million dollar porking is completely dimwitted.
Hated to see him go, but he's not stupid enough to pass up huge money.

Rocket

Reaction score
He's just being honest... completely honest.
The antithesis of being politically correct.
You have to admire that.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
ADB, I think, is one of the only players in the league that says what is on his mind and isn't afraid to take heat for it. All his points were valid and I don't take offense to what he said at the end. What he's saying some fans do is spot on and people don't realize that their ideal situation of someone taking less than market value to stay with their home town is selfish. I'm not saying it's like "whooaaaa calm down, Princess" selfish, but the nature of it is self-serving.

ADB is exactly the type of athlete all of us would want to be (plus bigger contracts :p). He's not afraid to speak his mind, whether certain people like it or not, and be backs it up by walking the walk. Plus, everything he pops off about seems to be in defense of himself or his fellow players and it's with good intention.

Who do we all relate to more, considering we are all on this forum to speak our mind, Russell the robot or Dougie Say What I Want Baldwin? I think the latter.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
MVP53":30eynyka said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/4779/baldwin-schools-fans-on-free-agency

Overall, pretty well stated, although I don't really care for how he concludes it. Gotta be careful when you start to accuse fans of being selfish & greedy. First off, who are you addressing? I think most fans understand the business side of the NFL. I've read mostly well wishes to guys like McDonald who have gone elsewhere & assume I will read the same should Tate should he sign with another team. Second, I have to assume this is in response to something that was said about him, or a teammate on twitter or a message board somewhere. Professional athletes trying to win an argument with anonymous people online is like me trying to win an argument with my 3 year old.

Doug Baldwin is a nice player and a smart guy, and I know he likes to play with a chip on his shoulder. But, I think the commentaries about fan reaction & the league & the media are getting old. I assume I'm in the minority on that.

I remember ADB sometime tweeting about his agent telling him to never fall in love with his city and he was guilty of doing just that. I guess if he gets enough money to go elsewhere, that love for Seattle won't be enough to keep him. bummer.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I like Dougie and what he brings to the team. His commentary does often remind me of that guy that just watched "Food, Inc" and OMG HOW CAN YOU EAT THAT BECAUSE MONSANTO and all that. He's full of piss and vinegar, and his passion hasn't yet been dampened by the reality of life and the understanding that perspectives and experiences exist outside of and are equally valid as his own. That is just my opinion (obviously) and some people will read it negatively, but it's truly not a criticism. It's something you see frequently in recent high school and college graduates. Most mellow with age.

With that said, I was really expecting the worst from what he had to say, but didn't think there was much of anything to get worked up about. The one thing he said that I do take issue with is that player's behavior in FA in seeking the largest possible contract isn't selfish. It may not be greedy and it may be justifiable, but it is still selfish. Literally.

In most ways I am ok with that, though, because ultimately both teams and players are united in the same goal despite seeming to be on opposite sides. That goal is extracting as much money as possible from fans. They are fighting over the same piece of the pie, baked by us. Just as fan need to understand that most players mean no malice when they leave a team, players should understand that most fans' loyalties ultimately lie with the team, not the players. This is nothing new with professional sports. It has been and will always be a business, and the front office and players will always be competing against each other for a bigger piece of what we're willing to pay them.

On a side note, I think the new CBA will continue to create situations and frustration like this. Vets wanted to get a larger piece of the cap and thus the smaller rookie contracts. In doing so, rather than funneling more money up the chain, they inadvertently incentivized front offices to bulk up on younger cheaper players and be more selective with veterans. Obviously it will take a few more years to fully understand all the consequences of the CBA. On the upside, I think JS and PC have a very good grasp of this and it is why we are able to be so incredibly deep.