More than 6 WR?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
8 legitimate keepable players. This will be a fun position to keep an eye on

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":14d1t1cz said:
Sitting out the season isn't going to cure a nagging nuisance of an ailment that Norwood has had since HS and that he's otherwise been able to play through just fine in college. The college off-seasons were much longer than the NFL season and those rests didn't help, so a few months away now seems unlikely to be the elixir. Plus, Norwood is an over-aged rookie, as he's entering his age-25 season, so they can't really afford to red-shirt him for a year during what should otherwise be the physical prime of his career, unless his foot was to become significantly more debilitated than it currently is.
Not true, see Jesse Williams.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2s51ygep said:
NorthDallas40oz":2s51ygep said:
Sitting out the season isn't going to cure a nagging nuisance of an ailment that Norwood has had since HS and that he's otherwise been able to play through just fine in college. The college off-seasons were much longer than the NFL season and those rests didn't help, so a few months away now seems unlikely to be the elixir. Plus, Norwood is an over-aged rookie, as he's entering his age-25 season, so they can't really afford to red-shirt him for a year during what should otherwise be the physical prime of his career, unless his foot was to become significantly more debilitated than it currently is.
Kevin Norwood isn't Jesse Williams, nor are their injury histories/situations even remotely comparable. Norwood has general/occasional soreness in his foot that he'll likely have to deal with for the rest of his life as the after-effects of an injury from 6 years ago. Williams had a major/structural knee injury that required an additional surgical procedure last season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Anthony!":1mw6gem7 said:
bbsplitter":1mw6gem7 said:
Does anyone think there is a chance that we keep more than the expected 6 WR's? What position would you subtract depth from in order to carry the extra WR? Is there one WR that would make it worth it in your opinion?

I think it is possible, it depends the lock are Harvin 5'11", Kearse 6'1", Baldwin 5'10", Norwood 6'2", Richardson 6'0". After that it is between Lockette 6'2", Presley 6'4", Matthews 6'5", mainly I see height. As to were we might keep less, TE, FB, QB. Presley looks like he could play both TE and Wr so maybe there is your reason.

Not to burst your bubble but I don't think the Seahawks care one iota if a WR is tall or not. They'll choose the best players and the best WRs that work well with Wilson especially when things breakdown.

Obviously you have the first 5: Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood who will likely make it barring injury.

Then the 3 WRs competing for a 6th spot (if the keep one) is Lockette, Bates, and Walters.

Then the best of the rest are Arceto Clark and the rising Kevin Smith.

The Seahawks aren't simply going to keep Presley and Matthews just because they are tall WRs, they have to compete, they have have to earn it. And thus far both aren't even the top 10 of 14 WRs.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1acxa23w said:
seahawk12thman":1acxa23w said:
NorthDallas40oz":1acxa23w said:
Kevin Norwood isn't Jesse Williams, nor are their injury histories/situations even remotely comparable.
And you are a doctor? I didn't say he was going to go on ir but it is concerning when a foot injury from high school (which was operated on I might add) is still bothering him 5 years later. I hope I am wrong..

brimsalabim

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2j5ol3pg said:
NorthDallas40oz":2j5ol3pg said:

@johnpboyle 11:25am
DT Jesse Williams leaving the field on a cart. #Seahawks

What did you do?

Basis4day

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2svcafgc said:
NorthDallas40oz":2svcafgc said:
seahawk12thman":2svcafgc said:
NorthDallas40oz":2svcafgc said:
Kevin Norwood isn't Jesse Williams, nor are their injury histories/situations even remotely comparable.
And you are a doctor? I didn't say he was going to go on ir but it is concerning when a foot injury from high school (which was operated on I might add) is still bothering him 5 years later. I hope I am wrong..

You said you had a feeling he was going to go on IR. Since he is practicing again i think we can agree your feeling was premature. It really isn't worth it to worry or be concerned about HS injuries. Again, every single football player in the NFL has an injury history.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3dpqo1mh said:
Anthony!":3dpqo1mh said:
bbsplitter":3dpqo1mh said:
Does anyone think there is a chance that we keep more than the expected 6 WR's? What position would you subtract depth from in order to carry the extra WR? Is there one WR that would make it worth it in your opinion?

I think it is possible, it depends the lock are Harvin 5'11", Kearse 6'1", Baldwin 5'10", Norwood 6'2", Richardson 6'0". After that it is between Lockette 6'2", Presley 6'4", Matthews 6'5", mainly I see height. As to were we might keep less, TE, FB, QB. Presley looks like he could play both TE and Wr so maybe there is your reason.

Not to burst your bubble but I don't think the Seahawks care one iota if a WR is tall or not. They'll choose the best players and the best WRs that work well with Wilson especially when things breakdown.

Obviously you have the first 5: Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood who will likely make it barring injury.

Then the 3 WRs competing for a 6th spot (if the keep one) is Lockette, Bates, and Walters.

Then the best of the rest are Arceto Clark and the rising Kevin Smith.

The Seahawks aren't simply going to keep Presley and Matthews just because they are tall WRs, they have to compete, they have have to earn it. And thus far both aren't even the top 10 of 14 WRs.

Dude it is well documented they have been looking for a big receiver for some time. Unless a smaller wr really blows the door off size will matter.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Well documented by whom...the FANS? I can't remember PC/JS ever stating they absolutely must have a big WR. They've more or less cut those guys in the last 2 years or let them walk away: 6-5 BMW, 6-4 Durham, 6-1 Obomanu, 6-1 Harper, 6-5 Williams, and 6-3 Rice.

And drafting a big WR didn't seem like a priority in a draft full of them.

So to me height doesn't take the precedent over actual ability.

Beside a lot of you guys are still underrating Luke Willson, who is probably the best WR on team over 6'1.

And now that McCoy likely won't play, you're looking at one of the athletic receiving TEs making the roster who more or less are "BIG WRs"

Cooper Helfet, Rashaun Allen, and presumably Morrell Presley (since he's been practicing at TE).

jake206

Reaction score
Bates may be a good backup WR, but special teams is much more important than being the 5th or 6th best WR. Lockette has that sown up.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3t4e4pfx said:
Well documented by whom...the FANS? I can't remember PC/JS ever stating they absolutely must have a big WR. They've more or less cut those guys in the last 2 years or let them walk away: 6-5 BMW, 6-4 Durham, 6-1 Obomanu, 6-1 Harper, 6-5 Williams, and 6-3 Rice.

Beside a lot of you guys are still underrating Luke Willson, who is probably the best WR on team over 6'1.

And now that McCoy likely won't play, you're looking at one of the athletic receiving TEs making the roster who more or less are "BIG WRs"

Cooper Helfet, Rashaun Allen, and presumably Morrell Presley (since he's been practicing at TE).

Okay so we are going to play word games now, absolutely, really I said they have been looking for a big wr for some time. I also stated unless a smaller one blows the door off size will matter. Yes ability will matter but so will size, if you have 2 wr for one spot 1 is under 6 foot the other over 6 foot, and everything else is equal you will take the bigger guy. Even if everything else is not equal and the under 6 foot is slightly better but you already have 2 guys who can do what that under 6 foot wr can do, you will go with the bigger wr because you do not have a bunch of big wr.

By the way Norwood is 6'2 " that is big, we also signed a 6'5" guy as well seems like size was a factor

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... y-consider

http://www.nwsportsbeat.com/seahawks/th ... art-12714/

There are more, if you go on KJR and look at some of the links to their shows softy talked with PC before the draft about a big WR and he said yes they would like to get one, hence Norwood.

So yeah they want a big WR especially in the red zone, as to the TE no one is forgetting them but hey are TE not WR.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":31fa0cix said:

Pete has said they are looking for certain body types for different positions, he has been trying to find someone to be Sidney Rice before Sidney Rice, He got Sidney Rice and he has been hurt, he is looking for his replacement. The whole mantra of this team is bigger and faster, has been since day one. It is Known.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
You said you had a feeling he was going to go on IR. Since he is practicing again i think we can agree your feeling was premature. It really isn't worth it to worry or be concerned about HS injuries. Again, every single football player in the NFL has an injury history.

Looks like my intuition maybe right. I am starting to think Kevin Norwood will indeed be on IR before it's done.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... e-surgery/

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":2zdfdihc said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2zdfdihc said:

Pete has said they are looking for certain body types for different positions, he has been trying to find someone to be Sidney Rice before Sidney Rice, He got Sidney Rice and he has been hurt, he is looking for his replacement. The whole mantra of this team is bigger and faster, has been since day one. It is Known.

Still hasn't stopped those them from cutting those guys and moving on going with talent over height.

I'm not saying they aren't looking for those types of players, all I'm saying is they aren't going single out WRs for the 6th spot based on their prototype... the best WRs will make the team.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Anthony!":1715m4zm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1715m4zm said:

Okay so we are going to play word games now, absolutely, really I said they have been looking for a big wr for some time. I also stated unless a smaller one blows the door off size will matter. Yes ability will matter but so will size, if you have 2 wr for one spot 1 is under 6 foot the other over 6 foot, and everything else is equal you will take the bigger guy. Even if everything else is not equal and the under 6 foot is slightly better but you already have 2 guys who can do what that under 6 foot wr can do, you will go with the bigger wr because you do not have a bunch of big wr.

By the way Norwood is 6'2 " that is big, we also signed a 6'5" guy as well seems like size was a factor

There are more, if you go on KJR and look at some of the links to their shows softy talked with PC before the draft about a big WR and he said yes they would like to get one, hence Norwood.

So yeah they want a big WR especially in the red zone, as to the TE no one is forgetting them but hey are TE not WR.

Norwood is big in the sense that he's lengthy... but he's only 200 pounds with not much strength. By those standards big, strong WRs like 6-2, 210 Lockette, 6-1 210 Kearse, and 6-1, 220 Baldwin are gigantic.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3e0vbiks said:
Norwood is big in the sense that he's lengthy... but he's only 200 pounds with not much strength. By those standards big, strong WRs like 6-2, 210 Lockette, 6-1 210 Kearse, and 6-1, 220 Baldwin are gigantic.

Huh? When did Baldwin become 6-1, 220?

6'2, 200 is plenty big, and Norwood will only get stronger under Carlisle's conditioning program.

[youtube]38aI1BhEztU[/youtube]

Anthony!

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1kmq2wk6 said:
Anthony!":1kmq2wk6 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1kmq2wk6 said:

Norwood is 6'2" and has a history in college of making the in traffic, tough catches and with his length playing bigger, he as already been one of the good parts of camp. Baldwin is not 6-1 he is 5-10 and he is not 220 he is 189, Lockette is 6-2 but has also shown he cannot make in the traffic catches. By the way were did you get the not much strength from? All they have talked about is how Norwoods catches everything with in 10 yards of him and in traffic to include taking it away form Sherman on more than one occasion. AJ Green is 6-4 but only 207 I guess he is not big either, 6-2 and 200 with his length is plenty big enough

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Obviously, I meant Bates who is 6'1, 220.

Norwood is big enough, yeah, if you're comparing him to Sidney Rice. They are pretty much carbon copies in terms of size and ability. But what Norwood is not, is a big body.(whether he plays big or not) nor does he possess the strength a big WR would have.

But again If your arguing that Norwood fills the "Rice" role in the Offense, and as Chris alluded to that the Seahawks were searching for a big "WR" until they signed Rice, my point still stands. If you're saying Norwood fits the bill as a "big" WR then why does the 6th WR automatically have to be a big WR (like according to Anthony!)

Because it doesn't, it won't, and the most logical outcome is that it will go to the best reciever regardless of stature and that's only if the Seahawks carry 6 WRs.

I'm not saying any of you are necessarily wrong but that the competition is just much broader than what some of you are trying to paint it... in that player "X" has an advantage because of size. That's what I'm really arguing.