Most overrated QBs in the NFL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:roll:
He's owned your precious Niners since he has been in the league.
Worry about your own over-hyped pretty boy in Santa Clara.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1bq9xhxp said:

And soon to be second billed as Jimmy Grab a Ho in his film debut.

Fade

Reaction score
Top 10 Most Overrated Quarterbacks in the NFL - Based on the League, Media, & Fans.

01) Eli Manning - He has career numbers very similar to Jay Cutler, yet will probably be in the HoF.

02) Sam Bradford - He has made $129M so far over his underachieving career, and keeps getting new starting gigs with teams knowing he is just going to get hurt anyway.

03) Andrew Luck - His organization failed him, but still Experts & Media would not accept that in hindsight he was over hyped, they quadrupled down on excuses for years. Oldman Hasselbeck came in one of the years he got hurt, and looked far better than Luck, the whole team functioned better. That shouldn't happen if you're elite.

04) Big Ben - He has everything a QB could ask for, O-Line, Receivers, RB, OC, Defense. Yet can't get back to a superbowl. A very good QB that benefited from being in 2 amazing systems - Arians & Haley, but he is isn't tier 1. Just because the media says it, it doesn't make it true.

05) Dak Prescott - The hype for him has died down considerable, after his O-Line got hurt, and lost Zeke for a stretch. Dak Prescott is the poster chiid for what I'm trying to describe. You can't see how great QBs are until they get surrounded by lesser parts. The pretenders struggle, the elites still find a way to perform.

06) Matt Ryan - Another case in recent years where no one thought he was elite, but then gets surrounded by elite talent, and more importantly Kyle Shanahan. Casuals really struggle with the concept of players being products of the system or their surrounding players. They over simplify and think Player A threw for 4,400 yds & Player B threw for 4,000 yds so that means player A is better.

07) Jared Goff - If it wasn't for McVay he was going to be Blaine Gabbert part II. COACHING IS EVERYTHING.

08) Blake Bortles - They gave him how much money? He is a $4M dollar backup at best (top backup money).

09) Cam Newton - There are still people out there that think he is better than Russell Wilson, it's not even close. Crazy.

10) Carson Wentz - Awesome QB, he is just being pushed up too quickly. Nick Foles proves he is surrounded by great parts, and is in a great system. He needs to prove he can stay healthy as well. In time if every thing goes swimmingly for him he will be elite, it's just too early now.

Top 10 Most Underrated Quarterbacks in the NFL - Based on the League, Media, & Fans.

01) Russell Wilson - He carried a failed OC & O-Line with no running game for the last 3 seasons. Still managed to put up elite numbers during that stretch. Also lead his team to a winning record every year of his career. Despite the dysfunction surrounding the team the last few seasons because that is what elite QBs do. They still find a way to perform regardless of the circumstances. The 2nd highest rated passer of All-Time. Not bad when Bevell is your OC, and Cable is ruining your O-Line.

02) Phillip Rivers - Better than both Eli & Big Ben from the same draft class, but never really gets his name dropped at the same frequency.

03) Jimmy Garoppolo - Jimmy can ball, and he now has the unfair advantage of being paired with Kyle Shanahan. The Patriots are going to be kicking themselves in two years, maybe they already are.

04) Marcus Mariotta - He is like Alex Smith, in that he is a quiet unassuming guy, but he is far more deadly making throws down the field, and is an even better runner than Smith has ever been.

05) Nick Foles - I really like his game, that Jeff Fisher season really messed up his career. I expect him to be a starter for years to come once he inevitably leaves the Eagles.

06) Kirk Cousins - The Redskins Org is a mess, it was his entire time there. Kirk still found a way to perform and remain professional. The big contract maybe knocks him down the list further, but he is definitely underrated.

07) Josh McCown - Always ended up on bad teams. His career would have played out totally different had he been dealt a better hand. Made the terribad Jets look respectable last yr @ 37 years of age. Ask a run of the mill fan who Josh McCown is and they won't have a clue.

08) Matt Stafford - I would like to see how he would play if he had a running game, he has never had one.

09) Andy Dalton - He is a good QB. He has had to play behind bad O-Lines the last two years and it has hurt his numbers some. He isn't chop liver, or even avg as some would have you believe, but pretty good.

10) Ryan Tannehill - Similar to Dalton, but is coming off a season ending injury so people have forgotten about him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I really want to criticize putting Jimmy Garoppolo on that list because I THINK he's gonna be really good...

...but really hard to attack an overrated tag on 7 career starts. He's kinda billed right now as the Golden Boy and the reality is he still has quite a bit to prove especially with that contract.

I will never understand the way teams pay Sam Bradford but I don't know that I'd call him overrated as most fans I know think the exact same thing. He needs to be highly rated to begin with to be the most overrated.

To me, I think Matt Ryan is the most overrated. Matty Ice? Please. The dude constantly melts when the heat is on in the playoffs and the guy that turned him around is now coaching Jimmy.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Marvin49":39em972p said:
I really want to criticize putting Jimmy Garoppolo on that list because I THINK he's gonna be really good...

...but really hard to attack an overrated tag on 7 career starts. He's kinda billed right now as the Golden Boy and the reality is he still has quite a bit to prove especially with that contract.

I will never understand the way teams pay Sam Bradford but I don't know that I'd call him overrated as most fans I know think the exact same thing. He needs to be highly rated to begin with to be the most overrated.

To me, I think Matt Ryan is the most overrated. Matty Ice? Please. The dude constantly melts when the heat is on in the playoffs and the guy that turned him around is now coaching Jimmy.

Ryan has the highest passer rating in SB history, right? That same coach is the one that most directly cost the falcons the game. Kneel three times and kick a FG and they win that game. He had a 71.4 completion percentage and threw 9 TDs to 0 picks in their 2016 playoff run with an overall rating of 135.3.

I do agree his MVP season is more a product of his system and talent than himself. He played just as well this year with inferior playcalling and talent and his stats suffered. That said, there aren't many QBs who can put up the numbers he did even with amazing playcalling and surrounding talent. This decade, only Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees have posted comparable single season performances to Matt Ryan's in 2016.

Still, I think he lacks the "magic" factor that guys like Russell and Aaron have, so I'd still rather have them. I also think Brees and Brady are above him due to their abilities to make their surrounding cast better. I think Ryan is more a product of his surroundings, but he can execute at a very high level.

Marvin49

Reaction score
adeltaY":2z34r7f2 said:
Marvin49":2z34r7f2 said:

Ryan has the highest passer rating in SB history, right? That same coach is the one that most directly cost the falcons the game. Kneel three times and kick a FG and they win that game. He had a 71.4 completion percentage and threw 9 TDs to 0 picks in their 2016 playoff run with an overall rating of 135.3.

I do agree his MVP season is more a product of his system and talent than himself. He played just as well this year with inferior playcalling and talent and his stats suffered. That said, there aren't many QBs who can put up the numbers he did even with amazing playcalling and surrounding talent. This decade, only Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees have posted comparable single season performances to Matt Ryan's in 2016.

Still, I think he lacks the "magic" factor that guys like Russell and Aaron have, so I'd still rather have them. I also think Brees and Brady are above him due to their abilities to make their surrounding cast better. I think Ryan is more a product of his surroundings, but he can execute at a very high level.

I won't absolve Shanahan of the blame for that game, but he didn't miss a block and he didn't fumble. He also doesn't play defense. No one person holds all the responsibility for losing when they were up 28-3.

Everyone shares in that one....but Ryan has been at the helm of several of those. He is 4-6 in the playoffs and that one season to which you are referring came with Kyle Shanahan. To put that in perspective, Matt Ryans career QB ratings: 87.7, 80.9, 91.0. 92.2, 99.1, 89.6, 93.9, 89.0, 117.1, 91.4.

It takes QBs and offensive players a year usually to pick up Shanahans system. Can you look at the above list and spot Shanahans second year in Atlanta? :-D Without that season, he is a collective 2-5 in the playoffs.

He's also given up huge leads in crunch time in the playoffs. They were up big on SF in 2012 NFC Championship game and lost and up even bigger against the Patriots and lost. The blame obviously doesn't all fall on him but he has failed to continue moving the offense when the other team is making a comeback.

Bottom line, I think Ryan is a good QB, but Matty Ice? Nickname is ludicrous and I thinks he's badly overrated.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I don't thing Goff is going to be that great in the long run. He folds under pressure.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2chtedi2 said:
I may be in the minority, but I don't thing Goff is going to be that great in the long run. He folds under pressure.

Honestly the differences between year one and year two are so dramatic that I really don't know yet what to make of him.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I would say Luck.
But he has, by far, the best Twitter acct...
@CaptAndrewLuck

NINEster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hnlc0gh said:

I just haven't taken a shot at Wilson in awhile. :mrgreen:

It's all fun and games. :irishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NINEster":irx08904 said:
SoulfishHawk":irx08904 said:

I just haven't taken a shot at Wilson in awhile. :mrgreen:

It's all fun and games. :irishdrinkers:

And You are still aiming too high. :mrgreen: :twisted: :stirthepot:

Enjoy the weekend and the games. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":fpaql436 said:
Cousins has great stats, but ask Redskins fans, he hasn't played great when he needs to and has major issues with redzone turnovers. He also had a pretty great supporting cast except for last year when everyone got hurt. Great OL, great receiver Corp, great TEs and a really good play caller in Gruden. Their defense has sucked and that has forced him to throw more to pile up stats and contributed to some losses. He's not as bad as some say and he's probs just below the top 10 so I agree he's not overrated.

So weirdo version of Eli?

HawkGA

Reaction score
mrt144":18k3llx9 said:
adeltaY":18k3llx9 said:
Cousins has great stats, but ask Redskins fans, he hasn't played great when he needs to and has major issues with redzone turnovers. He also had a pretty great supporting cast except for last year when everyone got hurt. Great OL, great receiver Corp, great TEs and a really good play caller in Gruden. Their defense has sucked and that has forced him to throw more to pile up stats and contributed to some losses. He's not as bad as some say and he's probs just below the top 10 so I agree he's not overrated.

Cousins is overrated because of his contract, not necessarily because of people's opinion of him.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":30e900kf said:
mrt144":30e900kf said:
adeltaY":30e900kf said:

Cousins is overrated because of his contract, not necessarily because of people's opinion of him.

We can all thank Snyder for being a boobus on that front.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Andrew Luck has to be the king of overrated hasn't he?

Average stats at best and the biggest bag of excuses that keep him afloat and in "Top 5 Best QB's in League" conversations. He has the most unearned praise of any QB out there.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":n3mbl5oa said:

Average stats at best and the biggest bag of excuses that keep him afloat and in "Top 5 Best QB's in League" conversations. He has the most unearned praise of any QB out there.

The biggest knock on Luck is his health. His last fully healthy (I think) season was 2016 and he was fantastic.... Not enough to get them to a winning record though.

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":iku2kjfr said:
Seahawk_Dan":iku2kjfr said:

The biggest knock on Luck is his health. His last fully healthy (I think) season was 2016 and he was fantastic.... Not enough to get them to a winning record though.

Cause the Colts are either criminally stupid or criminally negligent. No QB can cover for multiple tire fires year after year no matter how good they are. All those Peyton seasons where he was good for whoopin on the dregs of the AFC are a crystal example of how a QB alone can only take you so far.

If the Colts thought he was capable of that they're stupid. If they didn't think that and proceeded with the constant bumbling of nearly every single other position on the team, especially OL, they're negligent.

I never thought Luck would be in the running for a generational QB because that's lofty for even a #1 pick but the Colts made that belief a near sure bet by how they seemed incapable of doing a goddamn thing right.