Most overrated QBs in the NFL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ITT apparently everyone except for Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Wilson is overrated.

By definition one of these overrated guys has gotta be #5, #6 and so on.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2mzwvwqw said:
ITT apparently everyone except for Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Wilson is overrated.

By definition one of these overrated guys has gotta be #5, #6 and so on.

I'd say that some arrangement of ICE, Ben, Rivers, Wentz, and Stafford fills out that #5-10 range.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't like Rottenbarfer, but he's damn good. Especially after watching him shred the LOB a few years back.

Rat

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is very underrated on these boards.

I know we're all supposed to hate his guts because some in the media thought he was better than Russ as a rookie, but Luck is a pretty chill dude. I respect that he has never let the money and fame change him.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rat":2b6ohatl said:

I know we're all supposed to hate his guts because some in the media thought he was better than Russ as a rookie, but Luck is a pretty chill dude. I respect that he has never let the money and fame change him.

I pity him rather than loathe him. He didn't create this mess, he was merely a tree swept up in the vortex of baffling moves and coaching by his team. But man, his body of work doesn't put him in the top 10, even when you give leeway for the injuries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":3u34gnah said:

I think the Colts and their pill popping drunken frat boy idiot of an owner and revolving door of terrible GM's and head coaches ruined Luck.

He's had no help on either side of the ball pretty much his entire career. So while I don't think Luck is the 2nd coming of Joe Montana as so many did coming out of college, I empathize with his career so far, and think he could be a top 5 QB with the right team.

How would Russell have faired with the garbage FO, staff and players Luck's had to deal with thus far? Not well me thinks.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Actually, i think offensively the Andrew Luck Colts and the Seahawk offense of the past couple years compare pretty similarly. Both with terrible O-lines and running games. Both with some pass catching talent. Wilson still looked better. That's no knock on Luck.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2i9qx9cp said:
Actually, i think offensively the Andrew Luck Colts and the Seahawk offense of the past couple years compare pretty similarly. Both with terrible O-lines and running games. Both with some pass catching talent. Wilson still looked better. That's no knock on Luck.

The difference is Russell got to play behind one of the best defenses in the history of football, a great coach and an HOF running back to ease him into the role.

Luck had none of that. He WAS the team, and he paid the price by being hammered over and over, right onto the DL with a major injury.

IMO Russell would have suffered a similar fate if he had to carry the team in his early years.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The system Luck played in was much different. He had to hold the ball and try to push it downfield behind a bad OL, which is why he took so many hits and had so many turnovers. They didn't have a great run game like we did in the early RW years. It was a much worse situation, as Largent very correctly points out.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2guai7gp said:
I don't like Rottenbarfer, but he's damn good. Especially after watching him shred the LOB a few years back.
Is that the game Markus Wheaton had over 200 receiving yards? How the hell did that happen? I'm gonna have to watch that game.

adeltaY

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":32piwsfn said:
SoulfishHawk":32piwsfn said:
Is that the game Markus Wheaton had over 200 receiving yards? How the hell did that happen? I'm gonna have to watch that game.

Ben is very inconsistent. He will have games like that against a great defense and then struggle against the Dolphins or Colts.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
adeltaY":hemt5q7u said:
5_Golden_Rings":hemt5q7u said:
SoulfishHawk":hemt5q7u said:

Ben is very inconsistent. He will have games like that against a great defense and then struggle against the Dolphins or Colts.
His trend has been great at home sucks on the road.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins makes it look easy tonight...

4/4 42 yards 1TD

adeltaY

Reaction score
I mean it's preseason week 1... Even Flacco went 5/7 for 71 and a TD. Not to jump down your throat or anything, I just don't see how his performance in this game has much bearing on how good of a QB he is in real action.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":htk83k9n said:

4/4 42 yards 1TD
Everyone is talking about the Rams and forgetting the Vikings. Kirk Cousins is UNDERRATED. I've been screaming it for a long time.

He has every physical trait you'd ever want. Accurate, beautiful deep ball, he can throw under pressure, quick release, he can throw with anticipation, he can navigate a pocket, he can read a defense. And he's competitive as anyone in the NFL.

About the only real criticisms I've seen that MIGHT be legitimate is that he hasn't always been clutch, he's a little inconsistent, and maybe his stats have been inflated by garbage time. But maybe there's more to the story than that? I think this season will answer that question. If he's what I think he is, he's going to have one of his best seasons. Because this time he has a good offensive line blocking for him, a good running game, and a very good defense to carry some of the burden.

mrt144

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":12a3s61s said:
WilsonMVP":12a3s61s said:

4/4 42 yards 1TD
Everyone is talking about the Rams and forgetting the Vikings. Kirk Cousins is UNDERRATED. I've been screaming it for a long time.

He has every physical trait you'd ever want. Accurate, beautiful deep ball, he can throw under pressure, quick release, he can throw with anticipation, he can navigate a pocket, he can read a defense. And he's competitive as anyone in the NFL.

About the only real criticisms I've seen that MIGHT be legitimate is that he hasn't always been clutch, he's a little inconsistent, and maybe his stats have been inflated by garbage time. But maybe there's more to the story than that? I think this season will answer that question. If he's what I think he is, he's going to have one of his best seasons. Because this time he has a good offensive line blocking for him, a good running game, and a very good defense to carry some of the burden.

I agree he has a lot of good, but he seemingly salts away games with boneheads. Like, the potential is there if he didn't do his best Eli Manning impression at the worst times. To me that places him exactly where he belongs.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
mrt144":2d20t83d said:
5_Golden_Rings":2d20t83d said:
WilsonMVP":2d20t83d said:

4/4 42 yards 1TD

I agree he has a lot of good, but he seemingly salts away games with boneheads. Like, the potential is there if he didn't do his best Eli Manning impression at the worst times. To me that places him exactly where he belongs.
I agree, boneheaded decisions have cost him in the past. But remember Kaepernick? Contrary to what a lot of people think, he didn't suddenly regress dramatically. He had one season of his confidence ruined (due to the Honey Badger), but that was preceded by a steady decline. What changed? Did he? I don't think so. The talent around him drastically declined, and defenses started cuing in on his slow release. He actually got better in 2016 - I say this because his turnover rate dropped even though the talent around him was drastically worse than 2012. He still took too many sacks and still airmailed too many passes, but the 16-4 TD/INT ratio, given the lack of talent, was an improvement.

I say that because Cousins just got a roster upgrade around him, and in addition to one more year of experience, he's finally somewhere he wants to be. I just think we might see fewer stupid passes from him this year, or in the least, we'll see his team make up for his mistakes.

Which makes the Vikings really dangerous IMHO.

Latest posts