M's Off season, 2017-2018

Josea16

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2tdx0izj said:
Josea16":2tdx0izj said:
TransGenderHawkFan":2tdx0izj said:
Josea16":2tdx0izj said:
Who is this guy? Is he big power hitter or something? What's his comp player? Sounds like a punk diva like the Manning brothers in the NFL. He better be at least as good as as Peyton (surefire HOF type) in my opinion.

Punk diva? Do some homework, son. The guy is foregoing multiple millions to come over and play. If he waited two more years then he would get a healthy contract. He wants to play and prove himself and doesn't want a bog market club. Definitely not diva behavior.
So I did research as you asked because I knew nothing about him. I basically see he's Babe Ruth an elite pitcher and power hitter. Are they actually insane enough to expect him to be a two way player with the modern 162 game schedule? JPL is only 120 games with 6 man pitching rotations.
He’ll require more days off being a “2 way player”. Don’t be surprised if the M’s do use a 6 man rotation at times if they get him.
Interesting, that would be trend setting. Either way I'm happy the Mariners are finally willing spend and roll, and possibly win like the Seahawks. And going with six helps EVERY SP immensely. It's on the level of a 4-2-5 football defense. It practically opens up a roster spot for a specific type of player that's required to win under the current MLB rules. No wonder they are all in. Thank God the Japanese have a positive and strong presence in Seattle because of Ichiro.

I think we may have the inside track boys.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
All I keep thinking about during this hype is Steve Nebraska from the Scout...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
With that pool of money,if we don't get him there is plenty of other talent to reload our farm system with.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2lokvd1o said:
massari":2lokvd1o said:
If they don't end up with Ohtani, it'll be an epic failure at this point considering all the prospects they've given away from an already depleted farm system.

If we don't get him and don't put the international money to good use, honestly I think it's a fireable offense for all of them, mainly DiDummy

Why in the world would you say that? Dipoto has done any and everything in his power to try and get it done. If they ultimately lose out cause Ohtani wants to live on the beach in SD and is cool with only 300k signing bonus What possibly more could Dipoto have done?

If that happens, we turn around and spend the international bonus money on a bunch of young Venequelen, dominican, cuban etc players. We can useit this year, we can push it to next etc. It can help replenish what was lost. Younger guys yes, but potentially higher ceilings.

Also the Braves had to forfit like 10 international signinings cause they got caught cheating. So we can sign some of those guys too.

DJrmb

Reaction score
YUCK!!! The Angels??? Booooo

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/939210162132303872[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bummer. And the M's gave up some good prospects to even get a chance. That being said, at least they gave it a hell of an effort. F the Angels

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Fire Dipoto. Idiot traded away some good prospects for nothing now.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Vpk0718":33oz67a7 said:

So you'd rather he not of tried?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Major props to Dipoto for giving an A+ effort. Don't know if Ohtani will make Angels kings of the AL but he will certainly help them out a lot. Will make the AL West a fun division next couple of years. Now...

The nice thing about Ohtani signing with the Angels, is it saves a bit of work for Servais - he doesn't have to worry how to give Ohtani playing time - it allows Cruz to stay DH and stay off of the field, saving outfield WAR. It also allows the M's to go after Yu Darvish if they so choose(since they don't have to worry about Ohtani's no Japanese player requirement, if that is a true rumor). Also the M's have Dee Gordon who is a terrific base runner which, combined with Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger's hitting ability, along with the Veteran presence (cano, cruz, Seager, etc), that is a lot of movement on the bases which is a huge plus in creating runs.

With Ohtani gone, they do not have media pressure to become dominant - even though we as fans want them to. It means they can take their time throughout the season to figure themselves out without leaning on a 23-year old pitcher new to MLB, and not worry about Ohtani media hype.

The M's do have international money they can use to recover some of the farm system, which is a really, really, bad farm system, and perhaps even improve on it. Instead of using $3M+ for one player, Jerry can use that money to sign several other players to build better depth for the club.

Ohtani would have definitely been nice to have, but the Mariners can move forward with their plans now, and don't have to worry about monstrous media hype with Ohtani.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Man, what a kick in the gut. Really was hoping we'd have a chance.

And what a slap in the face to Dipoto. The kid went to his old team

DJrmb

Reaction score
The worst part is that he signed with a division opponent. If he'd signed with SD then oh well, whatever, but now the Angels with Ohtani in that lineup/pitching staff... Gross......

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3maqi5vu said:
Vpk0718":3maqi5vu said:

Trying in general is good. But the question is did he try the right way or did he let his hubris get in the way? I’ll wait for more to come out before I really make a determination, but if he knew the angles had the inside track and he just traded away some of our best prospects so he could basically just wave more money in Ohtanis face... well then that would just speak to how incompetent he is.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Aaaaand now I'm not that excited for the upcoming season. No way Ms can compete with Astros or angels now

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well.. maybe, I hope there was something fishy going on and the MLB investigators of illegal foreign players will find something and null the deal.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Well time to come up with another plan. That's a huge get for the Angels, like us, they can probably use his pitching more than his hitting.

I don't blame him for not coming here, this franchise blows. I heard an interview with Dipoto on the radio and he basically explained his pitch. His pitch had nothing to do with winning or the history of the franchise, but rather how Japanese guys have done in the organization. I understand the pitch, but if I'm Othani why would I want to come here. This is 2017, there are plenty of teams now with Japanese ties and players.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2qlvviel said:
Well.. maybe, I hope there was something fishy going on and the MLB investigators of illegal foreign players will find something and null the deal.
Well, there was some rumblings of that earlier... I hope the Angels did something wrong and get a similar penalty to what the Braves got smacked with.

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that teams are expecting scrutiny from Commissioner Rob Manfred and MLB officials involving possible infractions no matter what team Shohei Ohtani chooses to sign with.
Teams were warned by Manfred that they could only use the merits of the club to try and convince Ohtani to sign, and that no promises could be made about future contracts or any other financial business partnership. An unnamed source tells Olney that Manfred has given the issue an "unprecedented" amount of attention, knowing that there are several avenues teams could try and exploit to procure his services. This comes a few weeks after the unrivaled penalty Atlanta received that saw the loss of prospects and the banning of former General Manager John Coppolella. For whatever the reasons may be, it appears baseball is serious about keeping the international shenanigans out of the game. Dec 8 - 10:39 AM
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...g-close-watch-foul-play-shohei-ohtani-pursuit

Msfann

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1cfw951r said:
Vpk0718":1cfw951r said:

He gambeled and failed, pissed away some of our top prospects in a hail Mary to save his failing career. I would feel differently if he succeeded but he didn't.

I think he should be fired too.

Latest posts