My feeling on this draft

titan3131

Reaction score
The problem is we haven't had a 1st rounder turn into an all pro so no need.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More and more as I look at various draft sites and their player valuations it strikes me that any pick Seattle takes in the first round @ # 26 may be a 10-15 pick reach by consideration of their reported player values.

Most of the sites I'm referring to are pretty reliable in terms of comparative player valuation (Draft Scout, DraftTek, Great Blue North, Draft Countdown, Walter Football) ) so if those sites are right Seattle can gain comparative draft value by a trade back to the mid-30's. There are a large number of players that may be coveted by another teams at pick #26 of little interest to Seattle and if the team could trade back to the early 2nd rd. the advantage of gaining an additional relatively early 4th, or 5th & 6th rd. pick(s) is something that JS has shown a past interest in doing.

Of the likely OTs: Ifedi, Spriggs, Clark, or Coleman each are more fairly valued in the early 2nd rd. rather than at pick #26 and the team wouldn't be stuck paying a 1st rd. contract to a developmental OT. DT/DE- Bullard may be available until pick 40 if he isn't gone before the Hawks pick at #26 and if not him there are a good number of available potentially highly athletic pass rushers that could also be available to the team at a pick between #35-40. I get the 5th year option argument with a 1st round pick but so far the team has not exercised that option with any regularity.

Failing this there could as well be a number of very solid more run stuffing versatile type DTs available at this range
as well.

I could see the team thus trading back to pick to say # 38 then drafting OT- Ifedi then or picking the Lineman of choice if Bullard is available. After this the next pick will go to other side of the ball so if OT is pick #38 then the next pick would be a DLine player. The additional acquired pick(s) could be used thereafter whole or part to move up in the 3rd with pick #90 in play. McGovern, Garnett, or another G/T candidate picked out of the early 3rd., with the comp. pick used on a defensive player perhaps an OLB.

After this I'd expect the team to draft a RB candidate and there are several they could be interested but Irvin looks like an interesting candidate. Following this I could see the team taking another OLineman to develop and there are several that have been mentioned here.

After that the team will just find players that they like and they think could fit regardless of position. In each case look to the top SPARQ players at every position for candidates. Some may well be essential unknowns but distinctive athletes with special physical abilities, length, speed, size, explosiveness, short area quickness, etc.

I don't see the team making a huge reach with a 1st round player.