My first post here

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18d05t2k said:
Welcome! Always great to see new Seahawk fans from all over the world.

My cousin and her husband moved to Keith, Australia a couple years ago, so she's about 225km away from you. She loves it there!

I know where Keith is - but I've never been there!

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":kzkej35k said:
I've got a good friend who lives in Adelaide. For a brief moment, I was kinda hoping this was him.

Still, welcome! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Hey, I might well know him! :D

There used to be a stereotype that everyone in Oz knew each other...

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":293r3gf6 said:
Welcome to .Net.
One of my classmates from High School in Washington State went to New South Wales playing Basketball. Doesnt play anymore but that is where he lives for the most part. Have fun and as PMedic said, it is getting fun now.

Well, of course Superbowl XLIX ended up NOT being fun in the end, but we had an amazing run to win the last six regular season games, and to win the NFC Championship game in such amazing circumstances. I still haven't watched the Superbowl again yet, and will never understand the call to pass. However, I'll also never forget how much Pete Carroll is to be credited for all our success. We're in a lot better shape than Denver, getting beaten at home in the AFC Divisionals, IIRC in front of a very restive crowd.

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":su96czr9 said:
Welcome. It's always fun to see more international fans on the board.

Thank you. I "discovered" American football in 1985, thanks to a visiting postdoctoral fellow from the US, in the physiology lab in which I worked. I think I said something banal to him; something like "it's a ridiculous mix of chess, blitzkrieg and trench warfare." He taught me it was actually a wonderful game of similar. I've gone on to be a bigger fanatic than most of the Americans I know, especially compared to the folks I actually met in Seattle, many of whom aren't fans at all, of ANY team.

This colleague said that of course I had to pick a team to, as we Australians say, barrack for. I remembered a lovely picture of Seattle, taken from Queen Anne Hill, with Mount Rainier in the background and the Space Needle in the foreground, etc etc. It was in the Student Travel office at Adelaide Uni, and I recall how nice and cool and green it looked, when it was a stinking hot, dry, dusty day in Adelaide. So I chose the Seahawks!

BTW, American football is called "gridiron" here. UGH! I was rapidly educated to not use that term...

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
byau":30uf38w7 said:
Welcome! (( You caught a nice Chuck Knox era there in the 1980's :D ))

Cheers!

Thank you! Yes, I remember the many fine players we had at the time. But I've always recognised the importance of a good offensive line! You can have the best players possible in the ball-carrying positions, but without your linemen (and tight end) you are not going to consistently play good offense. I think linemen, both offensive and defensive, do not receive the credit they deserve. I reckon the term "skill position", as used for a ball-carrying position, is a particular abomination.

Charles

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Your story doesn't add up. U said you been a Seahawks fan since 1985....one of the reason you became a Seahawks fan was when you visited the area in 1996. Huh???

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3vw4y2bm said:
Your story doesn't add up. U said you been a Seahawks fan since 1985....one of the reason you became a Seahawks fan was when you visited the area in 1996. Huh???

Sorry, I wrote misleadingly! To clarify, I became a fan in 1985 when I first "discovered" American football, and thus had already been a fan of the Seahawks for over a decade when I visited the area in 1996. I actually "met" my friends there on a Pink Floyd mailing list called "Echoes" in early 1996, and went to meet them in October/November of that year.

When I found out that then-owner Ken Behring was thinking of moving the team to Anaheim, I was outraged, and sent a completely against-the-rules (badly off-topic) post to this Echoes mailing list, ranting about it. My friend Debbie emailed me privately saying they lived in the Puget Sound area, etc, and we've been friends ever since.

Hope this makes better sense! I'm hoping to visit them again in Poulsbo this Christmas, but it looks unlikely at the moment. Maybe next year! It was easy to get tickets to games in 1996: there were only crowds of about 37,000 in the Kingdome. I shudder to think how expensive or simply impossible it is to get tickets these days(?)

The games I attended were against the Chargers and the Oilers. Comfortable win against San Diego (Australian Darren Bennett was their punter) and a stunning win against Houston, when our defense blocked and returned an Al del Greco FG attempt for a TD with only a few seconds left on the clock. I'm proud to say I was one of the first on my feet screaming out "BLOCK!!! BLOCK!!! BLOCK!!!" like a total madman, as they lined up for the FGA.

Charles

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":18nihk5t said:
Sarlacc83":18nihk5t said:
BTW, American football is called "gridiron" here. UGH! I was rapidly educated to not use that term...

Do you call Australian football "football" and what a lot of the world calls "football" soccer?

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":d0perqah said:
Aussie Seahawk":d0perqah said:
Sarlacc83":d0perqah said:

Do you call Australian football "football" and what a lot of the world calls "football" soccer?

Yes, we call Aussie Rules football "football" but mostly simply by the diminutive/abbreviation "footy". We call the world game "football" soccer, yes. I imagine millions loathe the term "soccer" and "footy" probably sounds weird, too! Australians shorten everything, even if it makes it longer. :)

Charles

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
:2:

Welcome to .Net.

Australian Rules Football is the bomb. The way the referees signal a score is worth the price of admission all by itself.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Footy is one of my favorite sports to watch on TV, on those rare occasions when it is on in the U.S. I particularly love how they determine who will be the winner after a tie in the championship game!

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3kas5nqa said:
Welcome to .Net.

Australian Rules Football is the bomb. The way the referees signal a score is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Thank you! I've been saying that a lot here, with the amazing welcome I've got. Wish I'd found the forum long ago. I used to be on a Seahawks mailing list run by a guy called "Coz" but I can't remember what happened to that, nor of course do I know if anyone who used to be on that list is on here.

Yes, some of the goal umpires are quite dramatic! I once had a pet yabby (freshwater lobster) called Damien, because of that: (very silly story).

I've never met anyone in Adelaide who is a Seahawks fan, so I had no-one to directly celebrate with, when we won SB XLVIII. I hope to be celebrating with you folks next February, of course! Many years ago I saw a guy walking down the street in the city (what Americans would call downtown) wearing a Seahawks #80 Largent jersey. I ran after him and gushed about the Seahawks, but he'd been sent the jersey from a friend in America, and had no idea who Steve Largent was, or the Seahawks!

However, I had much better luck last August, when I was in England, in the famous Harrods store in London. My wife had gone to the bathroom, and I was waiting nearby, wearing my Superbowl Champions t-shirt. A lady came up to me and pointed, screaming SEEEEAHAWKS! Naturally, I screamed back to her with same. The crowd of shoppers (everywhere in London is crowded) stared at us in disbelief. It was absolutely wonderful!

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1lluev3x said:
Footy is one of my favorite sports to watch on TV, on those rare occasions when it is on in the U.S. I particularly love how they determine who will be the winner after a tie in the championship game!

Do you mean, by replaying it the following weekend? Or do you know something I don't, which is entirely possible(?) It's happened three times - 1948, 1977 and 2010. I wasn't invented in time for the 1948 game, but watched the others on TV...

Charles

OP
OP
Aussie Seahawk

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1jb5lgj2 said:
Welcome to .Net! We could use a few more posters on this message board....don't be shy.

Thank you - it doesn't seem I am shy! I'm on holidays, though, and I have no computer access at work. So, I've much more free online time than I normally do. Took a week off to watch a game of the Ashes (Test cricket series between Australia and England) on TV. It is in England this time, so it finishes very late at night here, and I have to get up very early for work. But I have never met an American who remotely understands cricket. "How can a game last for five days, and still sometimes be a draw?"

Charles (enjoying winter, while it lasts)

RockHawk

Reaction score
Welcome to our humble abode! And don't bother responding to this greeting since Montana pointed out nothing good will come of conversations with anyone on "the list". :)

P.S. I do thoroughly enjoy when Aussies travel to the states and I get to hear folks ask "Are you British?" anytime they talk. :thirishdrinkers:

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Welcome Charles! Good to have new blood.

Now strap in tight, its gonna be a helluva ride to February!

Go Hawks!

Rainger

Reaction score
Hey Aussie welcome to .net I too am an Australian but mine is of the adopted kind not by being born there.

I have been a Hawk fan since the beginning and had the great fortune of moving to Brisbane in 1993 and getting my citizenship in 1995.

Throughout my 10 years in Queensland I managed to still follow every game of the Hawks.

I loved Adelaide, beautiful location especially your wine making neighbor valleys like the Eden and McLaren Vale.
Great to have you aboard. BTW I am a big Brisbane Broncos and Lions fan. Even have an autographed hat by Leigh Mathews.