My Mock Draft for NFC West Teams

vanillasuede

Reaction score
Rams

Objective - With the new QBs in the division that run option now the Rams need to upgrade their defense even more to have fast back side help to chase down and or blitz these QBs. The current thought in the press is to draft an explosive WR in the first round which I believe will be a mistake. Instead, the Rams will use their first round picks on fast guys in the back 7 of the defense. Rams are a confident bunch with arguably the best coach in the league. What he did with inferior talent last year was impressive. Last years draft was excellent for them as 9 of their 10 picks made the team and the top 5 are all substantial contributers. Brockers and Jenkins will be Pro bowlers soon. Look for Pead and Quick to increase their production now that they are free of Jackson and Amedola and Brian Quick is going to be a stud WR.

First off - Sleeper option - I believe the Rams will trade one of their 2 first round picks and try to get a later first round pick with a 2nd round pick to go with it at a minimum. If Sheldon Richardson or Sylvester Williams drops to 16 don't be surprised if the Rams take one of them. Otherwise they will try and trade down for another 2nd so someone else gets him. Richardson and Williams are the real deal and should be a dominate DT for 10 years. Dominate DLs and OLs are hard to find and usually go in the first 8 picks of any draft.

Pick 16 and 22 could go either way, but I think the OL is more important and the OLBs will be there 22.

Pick 16 ( Offensive Line - One of 4 - Either tackle Menelik Watson/FSU or guards Warmack/Bama, Cooper/NC) - They really need to add depth to this line and any of these guys are going to be starting players for 10 years in the NFL. I would not draft a guard here unless I was conviced they are incredible which they say Warmack and Cooper both are. I do NOT like Fluker - He has a hard time staying balanced on his feet. Other option is wait for the 2nd round and get a guy like Kyle Long/Larry Warford if you want a guard.

Pick 22 - (Arthur Brown LB - Kansas State or Alec Ogletree LB Georiga) - I think they try and trade 22 down somewhere between 26 and 35 and get a extra 3rd round pick or they could do the same with Pick 16 and try and get a extra 2nd or 3rd - Brown is a pure stud that moves very fast, sheds blockers easy, runs sideline to sideline with the best of them and will be just what the Rams need to support their very good defensive line by bird dogging Kapernick and Wilson when they even think of taking off. Alec Ogletree is another fast LB I like very much and could be picked at #22 or later on a trade down depending on what they are thinking in the front office.

Guys that can pressure the QB always go high so don't be thinking the Rams can get a stud OLB in the second round. It won't happen.

Pick 46 - Matt Elam (S - Florida) or Eric Reid (S- LSU ) Again, along the lines of Brown as a fast powerful defensive back that hits like a mack truck and is very good in the open field. Rams don't need to take safety in the first round. I noticed some mental errors on tape, but those can be easily corrected through coaching.

I believe the Rams will end up with a minimum of at least an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Extra 2nd round pick (RB - Gio Bernard NC. Jonathon Franklin UCLA or Michigan State’s Le’Veon Bell) Rams need more RB depth and after a back and forth between CB and RB pick I finally settled on RB with the idea they can get quality CB depth later on. This draft does not have a lot of quality RBs who can be work horses so I think the Rams need to pick RB somewhere in the 2nd round.

Pick 78 - WR depth ( Ryan Swope Texas A&M or Marcus Wheaton Oregon State or Terrance Williams Baylor )

Extra 3rd round pick (OG for more depth- One of Brian Winters - MSU or Justin Pugh - Syracuse)

So the Rams get OT, OG, OLB pass rusher, S, RB, WR in the first 3 rounds who will all start or contribute within 3 years and 2 more potential Pro bowlers in Watson and Brown if they are able to trade down a bit. This draft could be as good as last years.

Arizona

Objective - Just to be able to compete with SF, Sea and the Rams. Offensive Line in desperate need, but they need help everywhere.

My draft for Arizona is simple - Trade down as often as you can in the first and maybe in the second round and select a new team. Try and get about 6 picks in rounds 2-4 and then start filling in your roster - Starting with the offensive line first.

San Francisco

Objective - Now thinking good enough to win the super bowl. Shoring up the DT postion and Secondary. Notice when Justin Smith got injured last year the niners pass rush became non-existent. Smith is also getting older so spending a high draft pick here on a DT is eseential as these guys are in high demand. After an excellent 2011 draft, the Niners did not draft well in 2012 and made the mistake of drafting a WR too high (how many times do we have to see it before we know these picks are too risky ?).

One Wild Card Option Here - SF has a ton of picks and they may try to trade some of them to get up and get a guy like Sheldon Richardson - Another stud DT from Missouri or maybe even a guy like Datonte Jones who is more of a DE from UCLA who will not be around at #31). The other option for SF is to try and trade some of those picks this year for future higher picks in out years.

Note picks 31 and 34 are so close they could be reversed. Sleeper pick is EJ Manuel as a backup for Kapernick. They have no backup QB - Bad thing.

Pick 31 (One of Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina, Jon Hankins DT Ohio State or Kawann Short DT Purdue or NT Jesse Williams (Alabama).)

Pick 34 (Safties Matt Elam Safety Florida or CB DJ Hayden) - I do not like Jonathon Crypien as he misses too many tackles.

Also - Note here that the Safety, CB and TE picks could be rotated around - If the like a TE at 34 they can get a safety like D.J. Swearinger from South Carolina at 61 Personnally, I would not take a TE in the 1st or 2nd round as SF needs a TE for depth, not to start. SF more pressing need is on the DL and in the secondary.

Pick 61 (David Amerson NC State CB or Jamar Taylor BSU CB)

Pick 74 (Jordon Reed TE Florida)

Seattle -

Objective - Same as the 9ers - They think they are good enough to go all the way and the trade for Harvin is a big gamble that says we are going for the win this year. The Seahawks have had spotty drafts since Carrol rode into town and the jury is still out on Bruce Irvin. The 2011 draft was terrible with only Richard Sherman doing much for them. They will look to shore up their weaknesses by adding depth at positions and I really think they need a better Right Offensive Tackle. So, OT is a need and DT depth is a need and a slot CB for more depth is a need. Carroll and the Seahawks GM will roll the dice as they showed last year by picking Bruce Irvin to get what they believe to be the best player for their team.

Pick 56 - ( Menelik Watson OT Florida State or Terron Armstead - OT Arkansas Pine Bluff ) If Menelik Watson OT Florida State is on the board they will grab him otherwise Terron Armstead - OT Arkansas Pine Bluff is a bit of a gamble with tremendous upside.

Pick 87 - ( One of Jamar Taylor CB Boise, Jonathon Banks CB MSU, Jordan Poyer CB OSU )

aawolf

Reaction score
I think the Rams need offensive weapons and they will be addressed in first two picks--they need an RB and a WR. I think they take one of those with the first two picks.

NYCoug

Reaction score
vanillasuede":1tey57ly said:
The 2011 draft was terrible with only Richard Sherman doing much for them.

I wouldn't call any draft class that features one of the league's best corners in the 5th round "terrible." Also, K.J. Wright has been a starter and valuable contributor for a year and a half now and still has significant untapped potential, while expectations for James Carpenter remain pretty high going into next season healthier than he's been in years. Malcolm Smith might be the starting WILL next season. John Moffitt still has a chance to get valuable minutes, and actually played well when he was in there this past season, despite injuries and other things. They've only had two seasons in the league and one member of the class is already among the league's elite at his position. It might look "terrible" right now, I still don't think it does, but after this season it could look pretty damn good.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Seahawks have had spotty drafts since Carrol rode into town and the jury is still out on Bruce Irvin. The 2011 draft was terrible with only Richard Sherman doing much for them.

1. 25. (25) Seattle Seahawks -- James Carpenter, OT, Alabama. Injured but a starter at left side at Gaurd when he comes back.
3. (75). Seattle Seahawks - John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin: Injured Right side Gaurd Starter once healthy
4. 99. (99) Seattle Seahawks - K.J. Wright, LB, Mississippi State: Starter
4. 107 (107) Seattle Seahawks - Kris Durham, WR, Georgia: On Detroits Roster, emergence of Tate and Baldwin made him expendable.
5 (154). Seattle Seahawks, Richard Sherman, CB, Stanford: All Pro
6 (156). Seattle Seahawks, Mark Legree, S, Appalachian State: Cut in camp, Strike one if you will.
6. 173. Byron Maxwell DB, Clemson: Back up to Browner, special teams, played well when Browner was out.
7. (205) Seattle Seahawks, Lazarius Levingston, DE/DT, LSU: Showed signs of promise in Pre Season, was brought back several times to practice squad, could not break through.
7 (242). Seattle Seahawks, Malcolm Smith, OLB, USC: Back up WILL, still on roster.

I don't know how you call this a busted draft. Your credibility about Schnieder and Petes drafting and building a team in three years to a Super Bowl contender is more in question then theirs is.

OP
OP
V

vanillasuede

Reaction score
Ok to disagree with me, but when your first round pick is no panning out and has been injured and is now slated to be a guard that is a busted pick in my opinion. Those first round draft picks should be 10 year starters in the league. Also, I used the word "spotty" to describe the drafts which means not all picks were bad.

Irvin can be mowed over on running plays as he is too small. I noticed they don't even play him on first down. 6 of his 8 sacks came against inferior OLs that should really be replaced. That Green Bay OT was a joke.

I just am not as high on their picks as some other teams which is why I used the word "spotty". If teams want to spend a first round draft pick on a part time pass rusher that may be good enough for them, but my opinion differs.

It is OK to agree to disagree.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
vanillasuede":12wouz9i said:
Ok to disagree with me, but when your first round pick is no panning out and has been injured and is now slated to be a guard that is a busted pick in my opinion. Those first round draft picks should be 10 year starters in the league. Also, I used the word "spotty" to describe the drafts which means not all picks were bad.

Irvin can be mowed over on running plays as he is too small. I noticed they don't even play him on first down. 6 of his 8 sacks came against inferior OLs that should really be replaced. That Green Bay OT was a joke.

I just am not as high on their picks as some other teams which is why I used the word "spotty". If teams want to spend a first round draft pick on a part time pass rusher that may be good enough for them, but my opinion differs.

Your idea on how the draft 'should' work or how a player 'should' contribute (based on where they are drafted) is a bit odd. How often are 1st round picks 10 year starters these days? The analysis, IMO, is spotty. There is so much more to consider.

Even if we don't go into a more lengthy analysis: In 2011, they drafted the best CB in the NFL in the 5th round (he makes 500k vs a 1st round salary). We could have made just that one pick and it would be an epic draft.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I basically disagree with your whole post. :lol:

Sorry.

SDHawk

Reaction score
RAMS:

16. DB - Xavier Rhodes
22. LB - Alec Ogletree
46. WR - DeAndre Hopkins
78. OG - Earl Watford

They do need help at OG and need a long term solution at OT. From what I've read, they were interested in DJ Fluker but all indications seem to point to them waiting until round 3 to pick up whats left of Kyle Long/Larry Warford/Earl Watford. I think the Rams are targeting Tavon Austin with the 16th but I don't think he'll be around. My gut says that the 49ers, not to be outdone by the Hawks, will make a trade to move up and take Austin. Rams will be content with taking CB-Xavier Rhodes at #16, who can move to FS, and LB-Alec Ogletree at #22 if he makes it past Chicago and Cincy.

CARDS:

7. OT/G - DJ Fluker
38. QB - Matt Barkley
69. WR - Markus Wheaton

Cards reportedly love Fluker, even ahead of Chance Warmack. The three I am mocking above have all visited with the Cards multiple times.

NINERS:

12: WR - Tavon Austin
61: CB - Tyrann Mathieu
74: TE - Travis Kelce
93: OLB - Gerald Hodges

Flustered by the media appointing the Hawks as the Superbowl favorites, the 49ers escalate in the arms race by trading #31 and #34 to Miami to snatch up Tavon Austin - their "answer" to Percy Harvin. Miami loves the trade as it allows them to recoup an early 2nd rounder (which was surrendered to the Chiefs for Brandon Albert). Miami takes Cyprien at the end of the first day and use their early 2nd rounder to draft WR-Ryan Swope. The 49ers wouldn't have done this trade if they didn't believe they had a shot at CB-Tyrann Mathieu at #61. Mathieu competes with Culliver for the starting FS job with the loser backing up Carlos Rogers.

HAWKS:

The Hawks, losing out on both Ryan Swope and Quinton Patton, trade #56 to the Bucs for #73 and #112.

73: RB - Christine Michael
87: OG/OT - David Quessenberry
112: FB/TE - Kyle Juszczyk
123: S/CB - Duke Williams
138: DT - Stefan Charles
158: DE - Mike Catapano
194: WLB/S - Cooper Taylor
220: WR - Brice Butler
231: DE - Rufus Johnson
241: QB - BJ Daniels
242: WLB - Craig Wilkins

Rat

Reaction score
I think the teams in the NFC West are too smart to simply zero in on one position with each of their picks.

OP
OP
V

vanillasuede

Reaction score
SD Hawk - I like your Hawks first four picks and think they will solidify everything. Hawks need to do something about their ROT as the Rams Chris Long ate him alive last year.

I think Fluker and Travon have huge bust potential - Travon way to small and you won't have to hit him to hard to send him to the hospital for the year.

What about the Niners need for DT ? Zero pass rush without one unless you think Justin Smith will be back to where he was. I think if the 9ers trade up it will be for a DL although they did make the mistake last year of taking a bust WR in the first round.

Free Agency has for the most part proven to be ineffective over the years. It is always done thru the draft. I look at the Harvin move as a huge risk both in draft cost and cap cost. If he is not the same that situation could backfire.

Enjoy the draft.

SDHawk

Reaction score
vanillasuede":34p8bj28 said:
SD Hawk - I like your Hawks first four picks and think they will solidify everything. Hawks need to do something about their ROT as the Rams Chris Long ate him alive last year.

I think Fluker and Travon have huge bust potential - Travon way to small and you won't have to hit him to hard to send him to the hospital for the year.

What about the Niners need for DT ? Zero pass rush without one unless you think Justin Smith will be back to where he was. I think if the 9ers trade up it will be for a DL although they did make the mistake last year of taking a bust WR in the first round.

Free Agency has for the most part proven to be ineffective over the years. It is always done thru the draft. I look at the Harvin move as a huge risk both in draft cost and cap cost. If he is not the same that situation could backfire.

Enjoy the draft.

I think Fluker has potential but am in agreement that he is overvalued especially if he goes to the Cards at #7.

The Tavon is small meme gets thrown around too often. IIRC, he hasn't missed a game in his college career. I think he's more Randall Cobb than Jacoby Ford.

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey to back up Justin Smith. I'm not saying it isn't a need, just not as pressing as others. IMO, I think they need DBs more than anything else but if they expect to see Mathieu at #61, I don't see why they shouldn't gamble on Tavon's upside.

chris98251

Reaction score
vanillasuede":jkwx7vc2 said:

Enjoy the draft.

Long ate most guys up last year, Harvin is better then anything in this years draft, we have two aces in the hole with this kid in Bevell and Rice being previous teamates, Harvin wants to showcase what he can do on a good team. He won't be required to have the work load he did in Minnesota. I see nothing positive in your outlook about the Seahawks which is ok since you appear to be a Rams fan based on the content of your posts.

Branch and Brock as well as Jones and now Winfield, we are selective in out FA signings and don't over pay.Harvins contract is not as excessive as you believe anyway, in fact we don't over pay guys, they want to play here for a reasonable prove yourself contract. I think Avril and Bennett in our scheme are going to emerge as guys wanting to make a impact and get a future contract that is big, works for us to give us their best to get to the payday.

Throwdown

Reaction score
vanillasuede":3pkor5tp said:

Why would we play him on first downs when we had a 10+ sack guy in Clemons?

OP
OP
V

vanillasuede

Reaction score
[/quote]Why would we play him on first downs when we had a 10+ sack guy in Clemons?[/quote]

Anyone heard what is up with Clemons ACL ? Another question is how well will he come back ?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this year, 49ers are going to draft players that I want hawks to draft.

Watch them draft TE Travis Kelce as their 2nd TE to replace Walker and to back up V. Davis