My sources confirm Grubb will be hired as OC(RUMOR)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Grubs has never been a NFL Oc. That part is concerning, and most likely will have growing pains. I expect the offense to struggle early on.
Not only has he never been an NFL OC, but he's never been an NFL anything, player, coach, or towel boy.

If this were the HC opening we were talking about, that lack of pro experience would be very concerning. But I'm not sure if it makes a great deal of difference for other coaching positions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not only has he never been an NFL OC, but he's never been an NFL anything, player, coach, or towel boy.

If this were the HC opening we were talking about, that lack of pro experience would be very concerning. But I'm not sure if it makes a great deal of difference for other coaching positions.
It's probably as hard of an adjustment for offensive coordinators. There's an insane amount that changes with the tighter hashes in the NFL in terms of implementing the offense and coaching the details behind it.

Grubb's only rub is the lack of pro experience. We'll see if it trips him up. I think he'll be aight.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
EVERY single coach in the history of the NFL was a rookie NFL coach at some point. Can't get that experience if someone doesn't hire you.
Yes, but we have a rookie HC at ANY level, rookie DC at ANY level, rookie OL coach as a pro, to go with said 1st time nfl OC HC. We have leslie Frazier as assistant HC I guess 🙄

I'm not skipping anyone, I just don't know who the rest are.

It's honestly probably more reasonable to be worried about the staff than confident, particularly right out of the gate.

I can't help but feel like a lot of fans are going to receive a tough reality check when things aren't firing from the get go.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yes, but we have a rookie HC at ANY level, rookie DC at ANY level, rookie OL coach as a pro, to go with said 1st time nfl OC HC.

I actually kind of like this. It's like they haven't been poisoned by NLF trends, and have fresh minds ready to be molded the right way.

Don't get me wrong, though, the lack of experience could be a problem. Just trying to be optimistic.

bigcc

Reaction score
I actually kind of like this. It's like they haven't been poisoned by NLF trends, and have fresh minds ready to be molded the right way.

Don't get me wrong, though, the lack of experience could be a problem. Just trying to be optimistic.
Maybe, I'm still hoping for a bit more experience on the staff, particularly with the remaining offensive position coaches

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes, but we have a rookie HC at ANY level, rookie DC at ANY level, rookie OL coach as a pro, to go with said 1st time nfl OC HC. We have leslie Frazier as assistant HC I guess 🙄

I'm not skipping anyone, I just don't know who the rest are.

It's honestly probably more reasonable to be worried about the staff than confident, particularly right out of the gate.

I can't help but feel like a lot of fans are going to receive a tough reality check when things aren't firing from the get go.
Which is one of the reasons why I've maintained a healthy degree of caution. This thing could go one of a number of ways. I'm not predicting bad things, but nor am I expecting to be SB competitors right from the get-go.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think people are forgetting about our RB duo.

We add a pro bowl center and a guard or two and draft defense, coaches rapidly jell as Macdonald says they are doing, pieces are there to go deep, we don't have to play Taytay.

Comes down to Geno really. Is he our guy?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
EVERY single coach in the history of the NFL was a rookie NFL coach at some point. Can't get that experience if someone doesn't hire you.

Well not saying I disagree but to play devils advocate… we don’t have to be that team that is the lab rat for a new coach. Let some other team give them a trial run and pick someone who has already proven themselves a little.

Parallax

Reaction score
Well not saying I disagree but to play devils advocate… we don’t have to be that team that is the lab rat for a new coach. Let some other team give them a trial run and pick someone who has already proven themselves a little.
I'd much rather have an innovative young coach than a retread. It's one or the other. No one is voluntarily letting go of a dynamic, innovative coach who's already proven himself in the NFL. San Francisco isn't moving on from Shanahan (no matter what some idiot 49ers fans may say).

SNDavidson

Reaction score
My sources confirm that even though the honey habanero wings at Dominoes aren't too spicy, they will give you the sensation of passing 70 ounces of battery acid from your beanhole.
Dominoes is the Schrodinger of pizza delivery

WarHawks

Reaction score
Still no official announcement about Grubb. What's the hold up? Concerning.200

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not concerned even 1 percent. But ok.
Coach Macdonald talked about Grubb just yesterday on 710 ESPN and their plans, why they hired him, what he brings to the table etc.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'd much rather have an innovative young coach than a retread. It's one or the other. No one is voluntarily letting go of a dynamic, innovative coach who's already proven himself in the NFL. San Francisco isn't moving on from Shanahan (no matter what some idiot 49ers fans may say).
Another devils advocate

Coaches who have won a superbowl last 11 seasons (added the extra year for carroll lol)

Carroll
Belicheck
Kubiak
Pederson
Reid
Arians
McVey

Only one of these is is describe as "young, dynamic, innovative"

All had previously coached for another nfl team except Pederson and mcvay, and Pederson was like 50 and has since been unceremoniously moved on from....as have carroll, belicheck, and Kubiak when they wanted to continue.

I think you're overrating previous success/loyalty to coaches, along with adherence to "dynamic/innovative", which doesn't apply to the majority of the last 11 champs.

Parallax

Reaction score
Another devils advocate

Coaches who have won a superbowl last 11 seasons (added the extra year for carroll lol)

Carroll
Belicheck
Kubiak
Pederson
Reid
Arians
McVey

Only one of these is is describe as "young, dynamic, innovative"

All had previously coached for another nfl team except Pederson and mcvay, and Pederson was like 50 and has since been unceremoniously moved on from....as have carroll, belicheck, and Kubiak when they wanted to continue.

I think you're overrating previous success/loyalty to coaches, along with adherence to "dynamic/innovative", which doesn't apply to the majority of the last 11 champs.
I have a two name response: Shanahan, McVey

bigcc

Reaction score
I have a two name response: Shanahan, McVey
I literally mentioned mcvay, and shanahan despite all his youthful dynamic innovation, can't beat 65 y/o reid, who'd previously been run out of his previous HC job.

I somewhat agree with your sentiment, but you don't need to bring in something new to succeed, you just need to do what you do well, and that's what the majority of those coaches did despite not changing the game in any meaningful way.

Parallax

Reaction score
I literally mentioned mcvay, and shanahan despite all his youthful dynamic innovation, can't beat 65 y/o reid, who'd previously been run out of his previous HC job.

I somewhat agree with your sentiment, but you don't need to bring in something new to succeed, you just need to do what you do well, and that's what the majority of those coaches did despite not changing the game in any meaningful way.
If Reed wants to leave Kansas City and take over the Seahawks, he has my blessing. Trouble is, among the available folks (i.e. Bieniemy, Quinn before he was hired by Washington, Belichick, Vrabel, Rivera, Staley), there are none I'd want to take a chance on. They are the very definition of retread.

bigcc

Reaction score
If Reed wants to leave Kansas City and take over the Seahawks, he has my blessing. Trouble is, among the available folks (i.e. Bieniemy, Quinn before he was hired by Washington, Belichick, Vrabel, Rivera, Staley), there are none I'd want to take a chance on. They are the very definition of retread.
Oh for sure, I kept going back and forth between Macdonald and Johnson, I probably had a bit of a preference for Johnson but I was praying for either because it was a monumental step down from there.

If you were referring to this years options my bad, I thought you meant retreads as a general sentiment.

I was mainly speaking towards the "idea" of retreads, the closest option I wouldn't have been furious with (of the most discussed ones) is vrabel, and he was "meh" at best.

If we're talking about this offseason HC options in general, I find it difficult to believe you would have been upset if we hired Harbaugh for example, bit better example of what I meant than ones you listed.