My theory on the delay of game

QuahHawk

Reaction score
So as some of us may have mentioned as soon as we signed Marshawn that anytime we get to the 1 yd line we would run it with him. I think we were trying to do right by Lynch and sub him in when we should have just ran a play and subbed him in the next play if we didn't score.

cymatica

Reaction score
Doesn't explain what took the coaches so long to sub in the players. No excuses

knownone

Reaction score
I think they wanted to run the ball with Lynch, but then realized it could screw them time wise. You only run in that situation if it's the last play of the game.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1xwjfrm1 said:
So as some of us may have mentioned as soon as we signed Marshawn that anytime we get to the 1 yd line we would run it with him. I think we were trying to do right by Lynch and sub him in when we should have just ran a play and subbed him in the next play if we didn't score.

Substitutions are made all game without it resulting in a delay of game. It is one of the most rudimentary parts of football.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
There isn't a single possible explanation that isn't just based on fundamental incompetence.

AgentDib

Reaction score
For those who don't have the Athletic, MSD is one of the reporters in the Hawks locker room.
Michael-Shawn Dugar":1k1qzezl said:
Pete says they communicated to the RBs too slow which makes me think the personnel package wasn't relayed down to the RBs fast enough. Might have been a situation where no one told Marshawn he needed to come in until it was too late.
Given that Marshawn has only been with the team a couple of days and has never played for our current OC, this was unfortunate but not exactly some crazy inexplicable event.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
AgentDib":3bsyv86t said:
For those who don't have the Athletic, MSD is one of the reporters in the Hawks locker room.
Michael-Shawn Dugar":3bsyv86t said:
Pete says they communicated to the RBs too slow which makes me think the personnel package wasn't relayed down to the RBs fast enough. Might have been a situation where no one told Marshawn he needed to come in until it was too late.
Given that Marshawn has only been with the team a couple of days and has never played for our current OC, this was unfortunate but not exactly some crazy inexplicable event.

No, just really, really dumb.

mikeak

Reaction score
Reminds me of taking a timeout with 22secs on the clock so your opponent gets a good shot at scoring a TD

Must have been because Lynch was going to be a new team member next week....

94Smith

Reaction score
My theory is who cares if Lynch gets stuffed. Run the half back dive play . It’s a no brainer. Live by Lynch die by Lynch . That penalty was a head scratcher.... anyway good luck in Philly

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
94Smith":1kz7rkmb said:
My theory is who cares if Lynch gets stuffed. Run the half back dive play . It’s a no brainer. Live by Lynch die by Lynch . That penalty was a head scratcher.... anyway good luck in Philly
Exactly. If the Niners stop Lynch from the 1 with the game on the line, kudos to them.
Idiotic coaching at its worst.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
94Smith":3ipbc08j said:
Exactly. If the Niners stop Lynch from the 1 with the game on the line, kudos to them.
Idiotic coaching at its worst.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Donte Whitner and Tim Ryan told KNBR Marshawn forgot his helmet. Someone here who went to the game saw it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
With 22 seconds and no timeouts.. wouldn't you call a pass anyways? If it's incomplete, you run in the heavy package and give it one last try?

Passing there gives you 2-3 plays instead of one.

Or maybe I'm over thinking

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cross posted:

That PI if reviewed would likely come back as an OPI/DPI offset had Pete saved TOs to challenge, which he always does.

The delay of game cost us much more. ML needed to leave his helmet on at least his person when the offense was out there. Rather than paying attention to the play clock and the game and doing something unexpected like a QB sneak, attention was on creating a pre-scripted fan-storybook ending.

That's what killed us IMO. Not NFL officiating.

If we go into Philly insisting on feeding the ball to ML, we're gonna lose. Fact is, he's older and slower and should be our emergency back not immediate relief for Homer. If Turbin isn't faster, lose him and sign Collins. Collins won't have to know the whole playbook to play relief snaps. He just has to keep his helmet on when the offense is out there.

---

Well we know how some crucial pass plays at the 1 have gone.

Regardless, they should have tried a QB sneak. Or as you said even a pass play. The least logical option was trucking out Lynch, who was apparently more preoccupied with the Jumbotron.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3qy9ophl said:
Cross posted:

That PI if reviewed would likely come back as an OPI/DPI offset had Pete saved TOs to challenge, which he always does.

The delay of game cost us much more. ML needed to leave his helmet on at least his person when the offense was out there. Rather than paying attention to the play clock and the game and doing something unexpected like a QB sneak, attention was on creating a pre-scripted fan-storybook ending.

That's what killed us IMO. Not NFL officiating.

If we go into Philly insisting on feeding the ball to ML, we're gonna lose. Fact is, he's older and slower and should be our emergency back not immediate relief for Homer. If Turbin isn't faster, lose him and sign Collins. Collins won't have to know the whole playbook to play relief snaps. He just has to keep his helmet on when the offense is out there.

---

Well we know how some crucial pass plays at the 1 have gone.

Regardless, they should have tried a QB sneak. Or as you said even a pass play. The least logical option was trucking out Lynch, who was apparently more preoccupied with the Jumbotron.

Does it really need to be pointed out that you cannot challenge anything, whether you have timeouts remaining or not, in the last 2 minutes?

All reviews are initiated from NY. I thought we were all past this.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
OK good point. But Riveron's statement still said there was offensive contact prior to defensive contact

If it had risen to level of review, that would most likely have gone down as offsetting penalties we started so we could get a free time out. Even with my fandom, that doesn't seem fair.

Latest posts