My two pence on the Game

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I thought we'd miss Bane, but I wasn't expecting the full blown withdrawal symptoms we witnessed today. The good news is that Bobby could be back next week, and boy do we need him. I saw a lot of over-pursuing and bad angles, that film's going to be painful to watch but I bet we'll learn from it.

Ultimately it was our run defense that cost us the game, but they weren't solely culpable.

I'm done with Bevell, assuming he was making most of the calls out there today. I don't think he's terrible, but he doesn't deserve another year here in my opinion, time to shake things up. Empty back sets on third and short? I just... nevermind.

Justin Britt is in a very tough position, don't get me wrong, it must be really difficult as a rookie to be put into a completely different system to the one you ran at college. Over the first few games I didn't really notice him, and that was as high a compliment as I could pay, however over the past few weeks I've started to notice him more and more, I guess teams are figuring out how to take advantage of him, and it's getting ugly. Last week a lot of the issues appeared communicative between him and Sweezy. This week, he was just getting beaten way too easily (see the last play among others). It's a shame because when he got it together our line started to look like the one we saw towards the end of 2012 when Russ was getting plenty of time. Unfortunately I think that improvement is going to be short-lived, given Unger's injury.

Personally I thought Russ looked good today, vastly improved from the last few games. He stood up in the pocket to make some really solid throws and he was clutch on the run to keep drives alive. Sure a couple of throws could have been better, but I didn't think our receivers helped him out an awful lot; they seemed to be left in one on one situations reasonably frequently and still couldn't take advantage. A lot of the throws Russ made today he wasn't making over the last few weeks, he threw a lot of catchable balls.

Richardson needs to make a play there towards the end, I know it was tough, but that was the only place Wilson could have put it where he was getting both hands on it.

Luke Willson can catch everybody! That work on the Jugs must have paid off, let's just see if he can do it in traffic.

I really fail to see how this team will function after Lynch, what a middle finger it would be to the mediots if he stayed on next year. I don't want to think about life after him, I think I love him.

This was the easiest lost of the season to stomach, we were a couple of plays/calls away from beating a really good team in a really tough environment. I honestly don't expect us to have a tougher game this season, except maybe the Super Bowl.

Lastly, how bad were the spots today? That 4th down stop should have been close enough for a QB sneak but they appeared to mark it more than a yard away. Que sera, sera.

P.S. Earl deserved a game ball today, which is odd considering our defense sucked.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wilson left a couple TD's out there today, including an easy lead Baldwin into the endzone throw that missed badly. Then there was Kearse's drop.

We should have won this game.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3s0o1767 said:
Wilson left a couple TD's out there today, including an easy lead Baldwin into the endzone throw that missed badly. Then there was Kearse's drop.

Was that where Baldwin was claiming interference? Didn't look like a good throw and Russ could have held on to it a bit longer. Kearse's drop was pretty bad, put it in the only spot he could and Kearse needed to make that play.

marko358

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3flb540w said:

He also might have led Richardson to a score or at least a first down in the red zone if he didn't throw it so low, causing him to fall while catching the ball.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Britt's struggles were totally predictable; the coaches chose not to scheme for it.

pehawk

Reaction score
I like it. But, you misspelled cents.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":5fdnkinx said:

How is the drop by kearse on Wilson? Also it was a faid route, Baldwin got hit and instead of continuing his route he stopped looking for a flag that should have been thrown but was not. As to Richardson throw he put it were only Richardson could get it, any higher and Richardson gets his head taken off and maybe fumbles. Sorry I agree Wilson looked rough throwing the last 2 weeks, but today he looked good

pehawk

Reaction score
I had no issue with the non call on Baldwin, on the fade play. They let the DB's play both ways. It was fine.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kearse TD pass drop from a win today. The run defense was horrendous. Most of the big runs were outside so while Mebane loss hurts, they didn't attack the middle as much. The special teams play was horrible. Something about playing in the state of Missouri for the special teams, they've been bad there. This loss hurts because as bad as everything went, the Seahawks could have won this game if Kearse didn't pull a dropsie at the wrong time. No way was that drop Wilson's fault. It was right where you expect a pro WR to catch the ball.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I came away from this game with almost the exact same takeaways!

I've been bashing the Offensive Line all year, but I actually thought they had a good game except for Britt. He was just terrible!

And the defensive line got manhandled for most of the game...again. Did anyone else notice Jaye Howard on the Chiefs D? He looked better than any of the chumps we currently have on the D Line. Mebane is the only one worth a damn on that line, so with him out...it wasn't pretty.

I think Russ had a decent game as well, but he needed to give Doug Baldwin a better chance on that 4th down throw to the endzone. A better throw was desperately needed, not that I like the play call, which I don't.

Love Angry Doug Baldwin, thought he had a good game. Also think it is getting readily apparent that in the best WR draft ever, we didn't get squat. Richardson may be fast on the track, but he doesn't look fast on the field. As often as I like what Schneider and Carroll do in the draft, this was a huge miss for them.

And did anyone else notice that Kam Chancellor got his ass kicked today? Maybe it's cause he is coming off an injury, but he was not the same player. On one of Jamaal Charles' big runs, Chancellor was blocked by DeAnthony Thomas. Thomas just about blocked him all the way into the end zone. It was pathetic.

razgriz737

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":14fkk2zi said:
SalishHawkFan":14fkk2zi said:

Was that where Baldwin was claiming interference? Didn't look like a good throw and Russ could have held on to it a bit longer. Kearse's drop was pretty bad, put it in the only spot he could and Kearse needed to make that play.
I think he's talking about a different one. I can't remember the outcome of the play but there was one where he had Baldwin in the endzone but he moved on to his next read just a hair too soon. Baldwin was covered up when he looked at him, but if he would've looked at him half a second longer he would've had him for a TD.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1y8f39pa said:
Kearse TD pass drop from a win today. The run defense was horrendous. Most of the big runs were outside so while Mebane loss hurts, they didn't attack the middle as much. The special teams play was horrible. Something about playing in the state of Missouri for the special teams, they've been bad there. This loss hurts because as bad as everything went, the Seahawks could have won this game if Kearse did pull a dropsie at the wrong time. No way was that drop Wilson's fault. It was right where you expect a pro WR to catch the ball.

Good post. I've read a lot of "we really missed Mebane today" but the truth is that Charles doesn't like to go between the Tackles, and he usually looks for a way to bounce stuff outside. It looked like a ton of bad angles, guys not scraping to the outside fast enough, and some pretty poor tackling. There were at least 5 tackles I counted that Charles broke that would've been negative plays.

Negative plays are the key to beating KC, as Smith just won't throw it down the field, and his WRs are probably worse than ours.

HawkerD

Reaction score
marko358":1rhmlrps said:
SalishHawkFan":1rhmlrps said:

He also might have led Richardson to a score or at least a first down in the red zone if he didn't throw it so low, causing him to fall while catching the ball.

DING DING! our YAC this year plain sucks and its throws like this that aren't helping I believe in RW and what he can be. But to be successful he will need a much better set of receivers . Short on both ends of the throw will not work.

Anthony!

Reaction score
razgriz737":3089dfz3 said:
SomersetHawk":3089dfz3 said:
SalishHawkFan":3089dfz3 said:

I think he's talking about a different one. I can't remember the outcome of the play but there was one where he had Baldwin in the endzone but he moved on to his next read just a hair too soon. Baldwin was covered up when he looked at him, but if he would've looked at him half a second longer he would've had him for a TD.

Perhaps but you still cannot blame Wilson for all we know he was about to get hit. I Mean he does not get 3 seconds usually so a half a sec is all he gets to look, if Baldwin got open after WIlson moved on in his progressions that is not on Wilson. That is on Baldwin for not getting open soon enough. Its not like Wilson can stand back there and give his WR all day to get open

firebee

Reaction score
Hawks46":3h1qqtif said:
hawkfan68":3h1qqtif said:
Kearse TD pass drop from a win today. The run defense was horrendous. Most of the big runs were outside so while Mebane loss hurts, they didn't attack the middle as much. The special teams play was horrible. Something about playing in the state of Missouri for the special teams, they've been bad there. This loss hurts because as bad as everything went, the Seahawks could have won this game if Kearse did pull a dropsie at the wrong time. No way was that drop Wilson's fault. It was right where you expect a pro WR to catch the ball.

Good post. I've read a lot of "we really missed Mebane today" but the truth is that Charles doesn't like to go between the Tackles, and he usually looks for a way to bounce stuff outside. It looked like a ton of bad angles, guys not scraping to the outside fast enough, and some pretty poor tackling. There were at least 5 tackles I counted that Charles broke that would've been negative plays.

Negative plays are the key to beating KC, as Smith just won't throw it down the field, and his WRs are probably worse than ours.

Charles doesn't like to go between the Tackles, but he did have some nice runs up the middle today and some cutbacks because we couldn't maintain control of the gaps. The other thing people don't credit Mebane for is keeping blockers off our linebackers. KCs O-Line was getting to the 2nd level and sealing our linebackers off, which allowed Charles to beat them to the outside, because we didn't have Mebane there chewing up blocks and preventing the linemen from getting to the 2nd level.

As for Kearse... He's really gotta clean up his game. You guys look at the drop... What about the pick he was supposed to set for Baldwin on the flat. Instead of picking off Baldwin's guy, he picked off Baldwin. Then there's his early releases on blocks and letting off the gas halfway through his routes. It seems like he's regressed from the player he was towards the end of last season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkerD":cec36awl said:
marko358":cec36awl said:
SalishHawkFan":cec36awl said:

DING DING! our YAC this year plain sucks and its throws like this that aren't helping I believe in RW and what he can be. But to be successful he will need a much better set of receivers . Short on both ends of the throw will not work.

I agree with better WRs, if you look at that play if Wilson throws that ball higher, Richards get killed, maybe fumbles, or maybe does not catch it but instead bats it up in the air. HE put it were only Richardson could catch it.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
xgeoff":wd3ehx8y said:
I came away from this game with almost the exact same takeaways!

I've been bashing the Offensive Line all year, but I actually thought they had a good game except for Britt. He was just terrible!

Sweezy was totally ineffective in pass pro against Poe on at least three plays in the 4th quarter. Basically a turnstile. Love Sweezy's run blocking, but the guy is still a big liability in pass pro at times. Not having Unger next to him did seem to make a big difference though.